The Bookity Book & Tall Grass Salon

Nonsuch

All Too Concise and Too Clear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danwiencek.net
Raymond Chandler--ex-tennis racket stringer, soldier, fruit picker, book keeper-- pulp fiction from a dead broke alcoholic, a genius, trained in the classics and going no where. Desperate to support the lovely, rich, older woman he married as a kid, Chandler decided that if Dashiel Hammet could make money writing for the pulps, he could too. So he gave up on sappy poetry and invented Marlowe-- a knight errant in a fedora and silk tie.

His use of language is breathtaking; his scathing, "regional" descriptions of southern California have become classics in themselves. He boiled his characters hard but left them enough humanity to make them live for the reader, even after the book was closed. You know this guy is a hero to me! --s6

Any fan of Chandler is a friend of mine.

The clerk on duty was an eggheaded man with no interest in me or in anything else. He wore parts of a white linen suit and he yawned as he handed me the desk pen and looked off into the distance as if remembering his childhood.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Nonsuch.

Good morning.

The Writer's Almanac for July 29, 2014

I'm not real fond of this poem. It has wonderful imagery but it doesn't go anywhere and holds no surprises (unless I'm missing them.) I kept thinking the poet was mainly trying really hard to find a way to write about that unusual table....

Stanley Kunitz's birthday, Ha! He was a militant gardener! :D

de Tocqueville and Don Marquis are also celebrated. (Archy and Mehitabel were before my time I think.)

Happy Tuesday, y'all.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have my parents' hardcover copy of Archy and Mehitabel somewhere, I think. It's been years since I opened it, but I think I know which bookshelf holds it.

It's good to be home again. Yesterday I wrote for the first time in around ten days--and I washed the beach towels and coolers. (Of course, once I got the big cooler all clean, Mr. Maryn put sandy stakes used to anchor the beach umbrella into it, which earned him the sharp side of my tongue.) I harbor hopes that we'll get everything clean and stowed before the snow flies.

I also made devious plans with my SIL, a "difficult" woman in many ways. She married my BIL late in their lives and pretty much subsumed his personality. My husband misses time alone with his brother. So on an upcoming visit, I've arranged for she and I do go shopping all day, leaving the guys home, and I've offered to buy lunch.

Maryn, taking a hit for the team

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... So on an upcoming visit, I've arranged for she and I do go shopping all day, leaving the guys home, and I've offered to buy lunch.

Maryn, taking a hit for the team

You rock, Maryn! ;)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, welcome home, and golly, snow thoughts so soon? :D

:hi: Lavern!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shakey, I'm good with a brush and I can sit on the floor or squat for six hours or so, with breaks as needed. I assume you have baseboards--what time should I get there in the morning?

Maryn, who likes interior painting

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too late. :D

Welcome, by the way. How's it going?

rohlo

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm too much of a Modernist geek not to pass that one up.

I'm great, nearing the completion of my first real novel.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Would you tell a bit more? Like, what genre? Or maybe a teaser or two? :D

rohlo

Registered
Reaction score
It's a a speculative fiction novel about a young man trying to find a purpose in future America broken into separate countries. The setting is more peripheral to his journey from being a successful white collar expatriate to something much more savage.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds intriguing.

When you say it's your first "real" novel, does that mean you've written others that are, erm, less novelish?

My hat's off to anyone who completes a book-length project to begin with, by the way. That's an accomplishment all by itself, no matter what happens with it after it's finished.

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
Hey everybody --

Just thought I'd stop in for a rum and something. Still raining here -- looks like the boulder and Estes Park areas of the state might get some flooding, and they've not recovered from last year. We've had so much rain this year the ranch look alike a whole new ecosystem.

Agent/reader suggested rewrites are almost done, and then on to another red-pencil edit. Hopefully I'll be done (again) in about a month.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello because I've been absent a while. Hope the words are flowing easily for everyone.

rohlo

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds intriguing.

When you say it's your first "real" novel, does that mean you've written others that are, erm, less novelish?

My hat's off to anyone who completes a book-length project to begin with, by the way. That's an accomplishment all by itself, no matter what happens with it after it's finished.

I've written a ton of short stories. A few years ago I wrote a space opera novel strung from a lot of short pieces and when I finished it (about 47k words) I came to the conclusion that there wasn't much left for me to explore in that genre.

Famous last words, I guess.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Whip! Nice to see you!

*rummages around for the rum*

Here you go. :D

Words.... Well, briefly I was on a bit of a roll, but it stalled and I've not managed to start up again. (wrote two poems, got stuck on a third, still stuck right there.) So, I'm gardening. That's always there.

ETA: Cross posted with you, rohlo. I've written some short stories, not quite a ton, and nothing to string together. :/

Last edited:

rohlo

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to get stuck on the same character for a while in my stories and eventually some of them get used to write something more substantial, and then others I can't really build a longer work out of them so they just stay in the shorts.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning.

The Writer's Almanac for July 30, 2014

Erica Jong has the poem today; I haven't thought of her in years. It goes on a bit.

Later in the almanac, Emily Bronte's birthday is noted and a poem of hers quoted, purportedly the last words she ever wrote. Again, it might be a response to the Jong poem, if someone wanted to go there. :)

It's also the birthday of Buddy Guy, and the anniversary of the creation of Medicare and Medicaid, and the anniversary of the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa.

No theme in that I can find.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The theme might be the return to my youth, what with Hoffa and Jong, neither of whom passes through my thoughts these days.

My sister, who cannot master email and therefore sends cards or phones, has asked for an autographed copy of my book, which exists only as an ebook. I don't even know where to begin. Does she know about Kindle for PC? Does she have access to a PC? If so, can she use it? So many questions.

Maryn, not sure how to respond

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Buy a copy of something dreadful from a second hand store. Practice signing the author's name on a sheet of scratch paper. When you get a good flowery signature down pat, write a tearful acknowledgement of your sister's inspiration and support and sign the author's name and yours underneath in parentheses. Mail the book off to your sister with a groveling little note telling her how happy you are that she is reading your work but please keep your pen name secret. If she is anything like my sibs, she will never read past the dedication. --s6

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shakey, that's just... just... Bwahahahahaha! Mean! So mean.

:D

Hey. I did NOT know that Amazon *rents* books.

wtfery is strong in this one.

I was looking up a book about perennial gardening, thinking I might snag a cheap used copy, but instead, HA!

rohlo

Registered
Reaction score
College for me can't start fast enough, especially since I have to put with a parent that dismisses being a writer as a real goal.