A hearty cuppa Joe: Make the water work harder.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Just a few tricks to try if you want that robust hearty percolator flavor from your filtered coffee. This method works best with automatic drip coffee makers that use Melitta-type #4 paper filters.

1. If available, use the Aroma or Robust setting on your drip coffee maker. This option cycles the pumping action on and off, creating multiple "bloom" intervals to extract more flavor from the ground coffee.

2. If your coffeemaker has a brew strength knob, turn it to Strong and leave it there. Contrary to the advice of coffee experts, any other setting dilutes the coffee as it brews. If you like a milder cup of coffee, brew it full strength and dilute it in the cup or mug with boiled and slightly cooled water.

3. Throw away that reusable "permanent" coffee filter and use paper filters. Buy them in bulk from Amazon and the cost is about 2 cents a pot, a worthy investment in exchange for better flavor, healthier coffee and much less cleanup. A paper filter sucks up the undesirable flavor elements and significantly decreases the amount of cafestol that ends up in your cup. Properly brewed and filtered coffee contains at least as much antioxidant as tea.

4. After you measure in the coffee, remove the basket from the coffee maker and gently shake it side-to-side about 10 times to level off the ground coffee. Gently tap the basket against the counter top about 10 times. Repeat until the ground coffee has been gently packed into the bottom of the filter with a level top. Combined with the Aroma or Robust setting described above, this step increases the contact time between the water and the coffee.

Enjoy! And if you know any other tips and tricks, share 'em!

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The "stop and pour" feature on many coffee makers is there to save you from yourself so you don't remove the carafe and stick your cakehole under the drip.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
At the local hackerspace there's a Keurig coffee maker. I've used the standard one-use coffee packets and some blends are really good, but there's also a small metal strainer thing the same size that you can put your own blend in, and there's someone who has made such special blends to be used in it (I've had a cup, it's interesting stuff). Are there paper filters for that thing? Can a regular paper filter be cut up and used with it?

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
At the local hackerspace there's a Keurig coffee maker. I've used the standard one-use coffee packets and some blends are really good, but there's also a small metal strainer thing the same size that you can put your own blend in, and there's someone who has made such special blends to be used in it (I've had a cup, it's interesting stuff). Are there paper filters for that thing? Can a regular paper filter be cut up and used with it?
Like this?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting!

I only make coffee-for-one, so I gave up on coffee machines a few years ago. Instead I use an AeroPress -- which I highly recommend. It's very simple & fast, & gives me direct control over the strength & quality of the brew without a lot of fuss or mess.

Deleted member 42

Interesting!

I only make coffee-for-one, so I gave up on coffee machines a few years ago. Instead I use an AeroPress -- which I highly recommend. It's very simple & fast, & gives me direct control over the strength & quality of the brew without a lot of fuss or mess.

I'm a fan of the AeroPress. It's less than twenty dollars at Amazon, but you can find it quite often at local coffee shops or chain stores.

If you don't want espresso style coffee, add a little hot water after you pour the pressed coffee into your cup.

And it produces the best iced coffee I've ever had in my life. Press a few cups, add suga/sweetener to taste, put it in a covered container in the refrigerator to chill. Pour over ice, add milk/half-and-half, and enjoy.

I used to use a French press to make one or two cups at a time, and even traveled with one when I was on the road a lot as a consultant, but the AeroPress is less messy, has a paper filter so there are no grounds, and the coffee is mellow and low-acid because it doesn't sit on the grounds at all.

Moreover, if you have severe carpal-tunnel so pressing the plunger of the AeroPress is difficult, three Norton Anthology volumes placed on the plunger at staggered intervals of a few seconds do the trick perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I dislike the paper filter. To me, it filters out the flavor the mesh filters let through. Besides, you're adding waste to the landfills. And to be honest, I'm not a fan of percolators. The whole idea of boiling and recycling the water/coffee back over and over again makes me squeamish.