Favourite chutney recipes?

gemilemon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, AWers! It's autumn in the northern hemisphere and I'm lucky enough to be living somewhere with an apple tree (small sweet eaters). I discovered only last year that I love making chutney, so I'm still a bit of a novice, and there are just SO many yummy-sounding recipes on the internet. I'm overwhelmed with choice! So, I thought I'd ask here - AW, care to share the recipes for your favourite apple-based chutneys?

I'd also be interested in your fave non-apple-based chutneys because if I have enough spare jars (been saving them for months) I'd like to experiment & broaden my range.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Good things come from Moosewood. :)

This is her green tomato chutney, which is amazing. It's fantastic with nearly anything - on a melted cheese sandwich, as part of a ploughman's, with savoury meals, with Indian food, with tons and tons of things. It's sweet and tart.

This is her apple chutney. Also awesome, also good with ten tons of things, including all of the above, heh.

gemilemon

Registered
Reaction score
Um... those look delicious, thank you for the links! I haven't heard of Moosewood before, clearly something to be researched. :)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Um... those look delicious, thank you for the links! I haven't heard of Moosewood before, clearly something to be researched. :)

You're welcome! They're really good. I usually add more garlic to the apple, if you like that sort of thing.

Moosewood cookbooks are really fantastic. They're staples if you like veg and fruit-based stuff.

I think the first was printed 30 or 40 years ago. Mollie Katzen ran (and may still run) the Moosewood restaurant, focusing on simple, hearty vegetarian fare. There are a bunch of the books now, this is the original.

gemilemon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Forbidden Snowflake. Looks tasty and I'm definitely wanting to try some recipes that don't feature apple, too! I've never come across aubergine in a chutney before - but it's exactly the right sort of veg to turn soft and pulpy for a chutney, isn't it. Good old Mary Berry...

cornflake, the Moosewood cookbook has gone right onto my wishlist! thank you!

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I just made a mixed fruit chutney. The recipe was given to me by a friend. Not sure where it originated.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got a good one for Mango Chutney?

Our take-away, we-must-learn-to-make-this-at-home dishes from our trip to Britain this summer were Coronation Chicken and Welsh Rarebit.