How detail oriented are you in the first draft?

Ian Nathaniel Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
This is a question for all you seasoned historical writers. (Or at least, more seasoned than I am).

I am currently in the midst of my first serious attempt at a historical novel and I took part of my first draft to a critique group where a "published" author (who doesn't write in the historic genre) ripped me to shreds for not having more historical details in the chapters I gave them. I tried to explain that this was the first draft and that I was simply trying to get the core of the story out before going back in subsequent drafts and adding in more details to flesh out the scenes and setting.

At this point, I'm just trying not to get bogged down in research on types of carriages or articles of clothing in 19th century France.

My question for you is, do you tend to do the same, or do you incorporate those details in from the get go. And if you do, do you find it makes easier or more difficult. I realize we all go about this differently, but I'm just curious.

Thanks. :)

The kinds of details I'm most likely to focus on involve historical context for the events happening in my story, and I tend to do this in excess in early drafts. I don't tend to do this quite as much with fashion or locations - just enough that readers can get a coherent picture.

Madame de Plume

Writing my way up the social ladder
Registered
Reaction score
In draft one I start the writing. In draft two I start the thinking ;)

Randi.lee I love this! I need to get it framed and hang it over my desk!

I didn't do any serious research about the time period I was writing about until after I'd finished the first draft. I think the only thing I really focused on is trying not to use dialogue that sounded too modern and/or anachronistic for my characters to use, otherwise I just tried to focus on the writing.

It seems like this author should have understood that you were trying not to bog yourself down with research in your draft when she looked at your work.

Sounds like we have very similar writing styles. My first draft is proving to be just that. I'm researching as I go along, I'm just not incorporating everything into it yet. They will be added into later drafts.

The kinds of details I'm most likely to focus on involve historical context for the events happening in my story, and I tend to do this in excess in early drafts. I don't tend to do this quite as much with fashion or locations - just enough that readers can get a coherent picture.

I actually have a lot of historical context in my first draft as many historical events prove to be a catalyst for my characters and the plot. It's the little aesthetic details that I'm not worried about at the moment. Those will probably be added as I'm going over later drafts with a fine-tooth comb.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
I must immerse myself in the research before I can even begin to write. The research always shapes and re-shapes my plotting sessions.

Right now, I'm diving into Imperial Russia and each research source has added to my plot and to my characters, and hopefully, by the time I finally begin the MS, I won't have to interrupt my writing to look stuff up.

Last edited: