So what's for dinner?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
So, apparently, I had a few minutes of lost time in the supermarket, during which I put seven yellow squashes in my basket. I have no idea why I did that, but now I have to eat them before they turn. The only way we ever ate squash in my house was boiled and mashed, like potatoes, so I'm low on options. I put one in my breakfast smoothie this morning (can I eat them raw?), another one I'll cut up (if I can eat them raw) and take as a dippable to a party this weekend. Casseroles? How else can you eat squash (healthily)?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We get regular egg deliveries from our farmer friends, and we have about two dozen eggs more than we really need, so I used one tonight. Whisked them in a bowl then mixed in some frozen hash browns, shredded cheese, and a package of bacon, also from our friends, that I'd fried up. Baked for about an hour.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's burgers tonight for us.

The bad thing about putting a cattlebeast in the freezer is that it's sooo easy to eat steak, steak, steak, schnitzel, steak, steak, roast, steak, steak, stew, steak, steak....and then you find you're left with one steak, one roast, two packets of stewing meat, a crate of sausages, and four boxes of minced beef. Guess where we're at in that timeline....

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've still got half a ham, about five packages each of pork steaks and chops, and one package of bacon in our freezer.

There's at least four pounds of sausage and two packages each of pork steaks and chops in a friend's freezer, as well.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll trade ya ham for mince any day!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
We get regular egg deliveries from our farmer friends, and we have about two dozen eggs more than we really need, so I used one tonight. Whisked them in a bowl then mixed in some frozen hash browns, shredded cheese, and a package of bacon, also from our friends, that I'd fried up. Baked for about an hour.
Yum!

I made a frittata last night since we had too many eggs also (though from a grocery store). But we did have two green peppers, one jalepeno, and a tomato, all home grown. Chopped them up and added a little provolone cheese to the eggs and so, so good.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I relived part of my childhood a week or so ago.

As a kid, my best friend's mom made the most wonderful tuna casserole in the world. I've been trying for years to replicate it (we had fallen out of touch.) A couple of weeks ago, reunited with my pal, she came for a visit and showed me exactly how to do it. Heaven!

Mrs. Hopkins' Hong Kong Casserole

1 tin tuna, drained
1 large onion
2 stalks celery
1 tin mushroom soup
2 handfuls chow mein noodles

Roughly chop the onion and celery. Throw everything into a baking dish and stir it around. Bake uncovered at 375F for a half hour or so.

Amazing how good something so simple can taste. I'd thought for years the chow mein noodles were just decoration and was trying to replicate it using pasta. Turns out it's the noodles that make the difference. Who knew?

Last edited:

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
We're utterly broke since we got back from vacation. So much so that I'm even out of many of my staples, so I'm trying to drum up some ideas for OTHER staples.

I had a whole chicken, so have it marinating in a combo of leftover Merlot, soy sauce, worcestershire and Dijon mustard. I have a bag of baby carrots, so will do something with them. I roasted them in honey the other night (nOm!), but now I'm out of honey. Think I have just enough broccoli to steam some of that.

Plus, I made a Moosewood "Southern Nut Pie Eudora" last night (pecan pie with maple syrup). That oughta get us through one more day until payday. :)

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I am in the middle of making some home baked beans. I soaked dried navy beans for about 12 hours and then scoured the internet for an interesting recipe. Didn't find one I liked so just made up my own the ingredients include onions, ketchup, brown sugar, Chinese sweet and sour chili sauce, ginger, garlic and pepper. If it turns out I'll bring it to my FIL's 90th birthday party tomorrow along with some ginger snaps which he loves, and I'll make those tomorrow.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I was just randomly given one of those ready-to-go rotisserie chickens from the supermarket, so that was my dinner. Well, not the whole thing. :D That's pretty much going to be my dinner in some form or another for the rest of the week. XD And I'll try my hand at making stock on the weekend, hopefully.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I was just randomly given one of those ready-to-go rotisserie chickens from the supermarket, so that was my dinner. Well, not the whole thing. :D That's pretty much going to be my dinner in some form or another for the rest of the week. XD And I'll try my hand at making stock on the weekend, hopefully.

FYI--

I've gotten tons of mileage out of this cookbook since I picked it up a few years ago on a trip to California:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0786888040/?tag=absowrit-20

Some fabulous recipes, and my husband loves most of the ones I've made. :)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight, I'm making Deviled Chicken (interesting sauce with white wine, honey mustard & a few other ingredients), Beggars Purses Mediterranean (with kalamata olives and goat cheese- yum!), a fall salad with pears and a yummy dressing that has a bit of orange flavor to it, and a Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie. The nice thing? They're all Weight Watchers recipes. Yay for trying to eat right!

Since I've been a slug for much of the long weekend, this is payment to the husband for working on my author website. :)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Since it's warm and humid out, and since I have over 2 lbs. of tomatoes, a jalepeno, and a green pepper (all homegrown), I'm making Gazpacho. (I got the recipe from Joy of Cooking and tweak it a little). It also calls for a cucumber and a garlic clove and olive oil to be added to above vegetables, and to coarsely chop in a blender. It also says to add a cup of tomato juice but instead of the juice, I plop in a can of diced tomatoes. I also add a handful of chopped fresh basil from our garden.

I've made this before and it's delicious when chilled for a few hours.

I might make some bread to go with it.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tonight, I'm making Deviled Chicken (interesting sauce with white wine, honey mustard & a few other ingredients), Beggars Purses Mediterranean (with kalamata olives and goat cheese- yum!), a fall salad with pears and a yummy dressing that has a bit of orange flavor to it, and a Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie. The nice thing? They're all Weight Watchers recipes. Yay for trying to eat right!

Yum! But I have to ask--what's Beggars Purses Mediterranean? It sounds delicious! ( I love kalamata olives and goat cheese.)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Yum! But I have to ask--what's Beggars Purses Mediterranean? It sounds delicious! ( I love kalamata olives and goat cheese.)

You take a couple layers of phyllo dough, quarter them, plop a scoop of filling in the middle of each rectangle, then bring the ends together and tie them with a green onion like a little purse. (http://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/s...Ax.?p=beggars+purses&fr=yfp-t-715&fr2=piv-web)

Yummay! My husband took two today along with a little piece of chicken for lunch. He liked them that much. I think the fresh dill is what makes it. A few capers would probably be good too.

:)

Gazpacho...yummm...

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, now I know what Beggars Purses are. Never ate one though, but I know I'll be making them. I'll add capers. I put those on homemade pizza too. (It's a little after 9 in the morning here, and I'm already thinking about dinnertime. :) )

A question again: on what temp do you bake the Beggars Purses and how long?

(The Gazpacho turned out great. And the longer the chopped jalepeno stays in the soup, the more heat it gets.)

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, now I know what Beggars Purses are. Never ate one though, but I know I'll be making them. I'll add capers..)

Capers are usually very salted, so depending upon your taste go with low sodium olives, but otherwise, yes, nice addition

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Whole wheat English Muffin, split, lightly toasted then spread with minced garlic, add a layer of camenbert cheese, toast again. serve with a greens salad and a glass of cranberry cabernet.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, now I know what Beggars Purses are. Never ate one though, but I know I'll be making them. I'll add capers. I put those on homemade pizza too. (It's a little after 9 in the morning here, and I'm already thinking about dinnertime. :) )

A question again: on what temp do you bake the Beggars Purses and how long?

(The Gazpacho turned out great. And the longer the chopped jalepeno stays in the soup, the more heat it gets.)

These were at 375 for about 12 minutes.

(More specifics: 4 oz goat cheese, 4 chopped up kalamatas, 2 T. dill, and one pkg 10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and drained)

Take one sheet phyllo, spray with non-stick spray. Take another and place on top. Then cut into 4 rectangles, place filling in the center, and tie up. Then repeat with 2 more sheets of phyllo. You should have a total of 8 purses to bake when you're ready.

Bon Appetit! :D

Sorry I'm a little stormie-- job drama here, waiting to hear yesterday. Kind of a wreck.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Capers are usually very salted, so depending upon your taste go with low sodium olives, but otherwise, yes, nice addition
Oh,yep. I know.:) I have very low blood pressure so I can get away w/ more salt than most people. In fact, I need it.

Tonight is homemade pizza w/ capers, black olives, homegrown tomatoes (the last of the batch), mozzarella, fresh basil. The crust I make using half whole wheat and half white flour.

Hip-hop: just got back on this thread and saw your post. I'm copying the directions. Thanks!

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
I was such a good mommy this morning! I actually had the presence of mind to throw some split-pea fixins in the crock pot. I even remembered to turn it on! Yay for me!!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I have a package of tortillas from a local tortilleria. Two nice pieces of round steak to slice. Picked red, yellow, green and purple sweet peppers and a nice onion but no tomatoes available tonight. Rather than go with canned tomatoes I will skip them and go with beef and pepper fajitas. Red grapes for a side--s6