So what's for dinner?

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be trying a crockpot faux pho tomorrow. It's in the pot tonight.

Maybe this will be one crockpot dish I actually like!

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Carrot, potato, onion, parsnip, mushroom, snap pea and beef, stewed and flavoured with thyme, marjoram, tarragon, basil, garlic and Worchestershire sauce. And garlic bread to sop up the juice.

Mmm mmm, good.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to make вареники but had a time-management fail, we ended up having dinner two hours late.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
The pho was incredible! Even my mother liked it openly, which meant my dad could like it (she typically is snotty about eating anything I cook and "damns it with faint praise," tells me what I should have done . . . then sneaks back for seconds).

I made a Vietnamese cabbage salad to go with it, very similar to the pepper slaw you get with barbecue in coastal Carolina.

Next time I may use extra meat, an extra pork roast, then use that for pulled pork barbecue.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Open a can of Progresso clam chowder. Get a spoon.

:D

Actually, inch-thick steaks grilled on our *brand new* hybrid bbq grill, charcoal side. Sliced okra sauteed in olive oil and garlic. Ramon noodles :))). Fresh salad w/ homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Glass (or three) of chilled Lambrusco.

I'll have the clam chowder tomorrow. ;)

everywriter

Registered
Reaction score
I have one of these: hybrid bbq grill. It's awesome.

I do not know what I am going to be eating after work today. I had something just now that was very much like soggy insole of a shoe that you have worn for a year. I think they were meant to be small hamburgers.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
I went to the Asian market in Knoxville yesterday and got a few things . . . going to try my hand at spring rolls in the next day or so. I've been wanting to ever since I was at a house party with the ex-SO's college friends and one of them brought his girlfriend who was Philippino and she and I spent a good bit of time together in the kitchen cooking and talking.

Everyone else kind of drifted out, lol. We were having some righteously esoteric but practical conversations about Buddhism and the western mind's typical refusal to accept paradox gratefully.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
We are experiencing the coldest spring on record (snow on my deck a few days ago) and even thought the temperature was supposed to be "springlike" today, its just not. So it's a soup night, specifically hamburger/barley/mushroom soup accompanied with beer batter bread.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Cold pizza and an orange, here. kikazaru is not kidding--another hard freeze last night. The kitchen table is full of garden plants in flats, tomatoes, peppers, snapdragons, daisies--no cooking here until the weather turns warm--s6

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
This upcoming week will be my first attempt at greek yogurt & tahini dressing on veggies and beef over rice. The usual grocery store didn't have any tahini, or I failed to find it, so I'll have to run in another store tomorrow and try to get some.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
I made the gluten-free pizza to end all pizzas, gluten free or not :)

With cheap red wine, appropriate for an unemployed writer, lol!

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I am slowly discovering the joys of Crock Pot cooking, so Sunday is my day to make dinner. I'm making salsa chicken, to be served as tacos.

I haven't really baked anything (except fries, which I can and do eat as a meal) so I've decided to make a variation of peach cobbler for dessert.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fried eggs and spam, with mushrooms.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I put a rump roast in the crockpot along with some sweet potatoes, onions, celery, garlic and cream of mushroom soup.

Served it with some stir-fried kale.

I lurve me some Sunday Din-Din. :D

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Made gourmet burgers for lunch with my sweetie! He cooked up the huge burgers and I carmalized the onions with portabella's and button mushrooms, topped off with blue cheese on a toasted bun and wow was it ever divine!

JQ377

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tumblr.com
Fried burritos because I learned to make them last week and I've been eating them since. The fact that it's Cinco de Mayo is just coincidence.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
This upcoming week will be my first attempt at greek yogurt & tahini dressing on veggies and beef over rice. The usual grocery store didn't have any tahini, or I failed to find it, so I'll have to run in another store tomorrow and try to get some.
Bleh, this did not turn out well.
White rice
greek yogurt
tahini
steak pieces
diced tomatoes
shredded lettuce

Sounds delicious, doesn't it? But somehow when I put it together it tasted disturbingly like bloody play-doh. WTF. The bloody part was from the tomatoes, not the steak, which was done medium. The play-doh part was from the greek yogurt. Tomorrow I guess I could forget the tomatoes and add some spices. I don't really have anything to substitute for the yogurt though, no sour cream or miracle whip... I've got some kind of creamy soup but that wouldn't go with the tahini. Blah.

CJ Knightrey

She Who Constantly Changes Avatars
Registered
Reaction score
Spaghetti and meatballs with a glass of coke. I tried to make cookies as well and managed to burn them to the point of setting off the smoke alarm so...there goes dessert.:cry:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Bleh, this did not turn out well.
White rice
greek yogurt
tahini
steak pieces
diced tomatoes
shredded lettuce

Sounds delicious, doesn't it? But somehow when I put it together it tasted disturbingly like bloody play-doh. WTF. The bloody part was from the tomatoes, not the steak, which was done medium. The play-doh part was from the greek yogurt. Tomorrow I guess I could forget the tomatoes and add some spices. I don't really have anything to substitute for the yogurt though, no sour cream or miracle whip... I've got some kind of creamy soup but that wouldn't go with the tahini. Blah.

You need some herbs and spices in it. I'd make tzatzki out of the Greek yoghurt with lots of garlic, grated cucumber and lots of either fresh dill, corriander(cilantro) or parsley. Add some pureed chickpeas to your tahini with lemon, garlic and cumin and you've got hummus. Finely slice the cooked steak, put the whole shebang together with some onion and you've got a gyros (sans pita) on your plate.

You could also make it Indian by changing the spices.

Don't give up, you've got the base for a very nice meal there.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Yesterday it was homemade chicken soup. Spiral noodles, that was a switch. Chicken stock and lots of chunked chicken, celery, carrots, noodles, asst. spices. I'm forgetting something. Cooked it all day long in the crock pot, it smelled so good.

Today, A & W chili dogs. :)

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
You need some herbs and spices in it. I'd make tzatzki out of the Greek yoghurt with lots of garlic, grated cucumber and lots of either fresh dill, corriander(cilantro) or parsley. Add some pureed chickpeas to your tahini with lemon, garlic and cumin and you've got hummus. Finely slice the cooked steak, put the whole shebang together with some onion and you've got a gyros (sans pita) on your plate.

You could also make it Indian by changing the spices.

Don't give up, you've got the base for a very nice meal there.
I can't eat garlic or onions though - allergy. Cucumber, or maybe celery, would be a good idea if I could get back to the grocery store; not possible today though. But I've got the rest of those spices, at least. Maybe I will cook the leftover tomatoes with the dill and some olive oil, and see how that turns out... Possibly throw some cheese on top.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Our neighborhood will be without water this evening for repair to a main so we are going to a Mennonite restaurant. It is called Essenhaus, I believe. It is east on Highway 50 in a town called Arlington, population maybe 500.

Around here it is either Mennonite or Mexican. Not sure what we will have but it is a nice spring evening and a treat to eat out on a school night. --s6
A Mennonite restaurant. Now I've heard it all...

I'm of Mennonite ancestry. Grew up on Mennonite food. My Mennonites are from southern Manitoba, though. The Kansas Mennonites, though, are distant relatives - they're probably fifth or sixth or eighth cousins at the closest.