Christian Markets

Helen Taft

Registered
Reaction score
Kersten, welcome to the fusstrated club. I'm still in that phase where I want to work for constructive change in ACFW from within. However, I went through that phase with the RWA a few years back, and couldn't see it within the realm of possibility to stay, much less work for improvement.

As far as Christian fantasy, there is a growing market in Christian publishing. Check out Marcher Lord (who, other than Sheaf House, is the only publisher in my database that will even look at it) and possibly David C. Cook. They published a book called TALKING TO THE DEAD, and if that doesn't signal a tendency to think out of the box, I'm not sure what does. I don't know anything about that particular book other than its title, though.

Have I mentioned I wish this market would loosen its corsets a bit?

Hello all,:)

I just thought I'd add an update on Marcher Lord Press and say (according to the website) if you submit them it will be 12-18months before it will be looked at as they're so busy. Pity!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
http://www.desertbreezepublishing.com

Up and coming e-press will soon open to submissions (this summer). They're full for 2012 but are searching for both Christian and non-erotic romantic fic, including YA, speculative and historical romance up to WWII. Gail, the publisher, would also love a terrific steampunk project or two.

They are a delight to work with. Check out the site and see if you don't agree their covers are first-rate.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
I'm looking for a fantasy publisher. I'm thinking of just going to the secular area b/c all the christian fantasy publishers are closed for the next 3 years. So I'm not for sure what to do now. I was thinking about just self-publishing it. I know folks who have had success with it.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I'm looking for a fantasy publisher. I'm thinking of just going to the secular area b/c all the christian fantasy publishers are closed for the next 3 years. So I'm not for sure what to do now. I was thinking about just self-publishing it. I know folks who have had success with it.

Check out this article on self-pubbing before you go forward. Will post if I hear of any fantasy pubs open to subs!

http://litreactor.com/columns/six-t...g-that-the-advocates-like-to-avoid-discussing

Last edited:

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Let us know!!:D

Got a request for a full last night from them (Watershed/White Rose/Harbourlight). Sent it this morning. Nervous and excited at the same time.

*fingers crossed*

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Got a request for a full last night from them (Watershed/White Rose/Harbourlight). Sent it this morning. Nervous and excited at the same time.

*fingers crossed*

AWESOME!!!!! Here's hoping for a sale!

Is there an actual Beware's thread for them? Just submitted to White Rose (third time's a charm??)

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
AWESOME!!!!! Here's hoping for a sale!

Is there an actual Beware's thread for them? Just submitted to White Rose (third time's a charm??)

No, I don't think there is. I can't really find anything on them anywhere.

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update: I signed with Astraea Press today :)

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Looks like Zondervan is jumping on the e-book only(sort of) bandwagon and has created 'Zondervan First.' Submit your manuscript online (no agent!) as a way to reach new authors and midlist authors who don't necessarily have an agent.

www.zondervanfirst.com

http://zondervan.com/first/faq

25% royalties??? 50% after 10k copies. If you don't here in 3 months then it's a pass. Print books will be available.

Steve Laube's post

http://stevelaube.com/ebook-origina...d&utm_campaign=Feed:+SteveLaube+(Steve+Laube)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
That was... odd.

Why will books get to market faster? Why do they emphasize that their e-only books will get a chance to be edited professionally? Why the emphasis on the ability to "jump on the bandwagon" of trends?

It seems, to my cynical mind, that they're going to rush these books into the market by taking less care and less time than they would with their NF.

IIRC, Zondervan had shifted its emphases to NF and Bibles (the latter being their big sellers). Are they seeing a bigger than expected revenue drop with the phasing out of fiction?

The positive here is that Zondervan is a Big Name in the CBA. So it may be a better choice than self-pubbing.

If I get a chance, I'll start a BR&BC thread about this.

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
That's very tempting bc I've always wanted a book published by Zondervan... but 25% royalties seems so little. And I'm sure it will be flooded with authors... plus no opportunity for print.

Still... it's Zondervan.