Responding to request for a full - to email or not?

readitnweep

Registered
Reaction score
This will sound like a stupid question, but I need to hear input from people in the know.

If you receive a request for a full manuscript from an editor who stated in his email to send in the full "when you're ready," should I respond that I'm currently revising and will be happy to do so once I've finished? Or do they receive so many emails to render a response annoying and just say nothing but hurry up and submit the thing to him?

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Does this editor know you've not finished the book yet? If so, does the editor know how close you are to finishing?

If so, I wouldn't email until it's done.

If you queried and the editor doesn't realise the book isn't finished, you would be wise to give them a time-frame I think.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Assuming you plan to take longer than a week, my gut reaction is to say you've found some revisions you would like to make and state when you anticipate sending the manuscript. And, of course, send it within that timeframe.

If this is something you think will be done in less than a week, I don't see any reason to send a separate e-mail about it at all. Just do the revisions and send it off. Even when I think my manuscripts are totally ready, I often read them again before sending, which sometimes takes a few days. I can't imagine I'm unique in that, nor can I imagine that editors would find it insanely strange that an author would take a few days before responding.

Just my opinion.