Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Lhipenwhe, I sort of envy you overwriters. I underwrite. I am trying to overcome that.

I know some amazing people. A couple of friends of mine asked me if I was doing a book signing. I don't like to be in front of people, so I brushed it off as something I won't do. They asked, well, what if we plan it?

On February 24 I have a book signing. The media has already contacted me about it. These gals said they have everything handled, I just need to show up with books.

I am truly gobsmacked by their generosity, and I can't wait!

I have about 25 books on hand. I live in a smallish town. Not sure how many people show up to these things. Twenty five should be enough, right?

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Good morning, all!

I actually woke up without my alarm clock, which is an accomplishment. :) Still moseyed around for another hour, but...it's a start.

JKR, yay for signings! Don't be too shy about it. Most authors I know who've done one had a blast, even if not very many people came. Oh, and 25 books is probably okay, depending on what your ordering situation is with your publisher. You can always also have some swag that directs people to where to make an order.

Last edited:

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
What are you at total for this WIP, Ben? What is the goal word count you're trying to stick to?

I'm just over 25k now, and I want to make it no longer than 75k. I think that's a good goal for a YA non-high/epic fantasy.

Lhipenwhe, I sort of envy you overwriters. I underwrite. I am trying to overcome that.

It's not that I mind writing that much, but I know that a high word count can dissuade people from looking at a unpublished writer. I want to conform to genre lines as much as possible.

Also, congratulations on the signing! I hope everything goes well. I know that I couldn't do one - I prefer to stick to my cave when it comes to writing matters.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
JK, good luck at your signing!!

LOL Sage I won't disappear forever.... I'm waiting a week or two, see if the R&R agent responds, then querying. :D

Oh man I wish I could over-write too. I underwrite everything!! Sigh.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I already know I'm overwriting when it comes to Paragon Academy. It is a side effect of NaNoWriMo...

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't started querying yet because I've had other things I've had to do in the writing world first (mostly a critique I wanted to be finished with by today). I also have to update my query spreadsheet, which I stopped doing when I set forth on the R&R and let my request responses roll in without updating. Sounds like something to work on during my write-in tonight (if I'm not too busy hiding from the girl whose story I critiqued ;) )

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
OK, so I'm hoping to start a query letter for Paragon Academy before bed. Am I right in thinking that query letters are always one POV?

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Sage!!! I just got a request on Twitter from L0u1$3 Fury to send my stuff. Eeeep! I asked if she'd ever be open to unsolicited stuff, and she told me to send my work:D Not querying yet though....just found out R&R agent has the flu :(

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone :) Hope you're all well. I'm outlining and getting to know my murderer.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Hey everyone! I'm just getting over an upper respiratory viral infection. Been home sick since Tuesday, which would have been lovely if I had gotten more writing done, but I was just too darn ill to sit at the computer too long. Only got 2K written in three days, but I'm feeling a little better today, so I'm going to try for another couple thousand. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck on all your queries and R&Rs and drafting and revising.

Oh, and if you want to win a $50 Amazon voucher (.com only), be sure to enter the Rafflecopter contest I'm running. There are only 5 days left! http://www.dorothydreyer.com/p/giveaway.html

Okay, off to make tea with honey and tackle some words. ;)

Have a great day!

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm just getting over an upper respiratory viral infection. Been home sick since Tuesday, which would have been lovely if I had gotten more writing done, but I was just too darn ill to sit at the computer too long. Only got 2K written in three days, but I'm feeling a little better today, so I'm going to try for another couple thousand. We'll see how it goes.

Ack, sorry to hear about your illness. We had that going around in Minnesota. Good to hear you're going back to writing, and hope you hit it running. Also, I love the cover for 'My Sister's Reaper'; artsy and evocative.

Well, off to school and then some writing. Feeling a bit calmer about my total WC when I looked at other titles in the genre, but still worried about expanding too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.