Are editing contracts necessary or not?

LongevityLetter

Registered
Reaction score
I have completed one non-fiction book manuscript and I have two more in the works. I asked close friends to edit my first one and I'd like a professional editor to look over my writing. I contacted one recommended by a writing teacher, yet she didn't mention anything about a contract, or at least a NDA.

For any (self-published) authors out there, did you sign any contract before doing business with an editor? What was your experience in this regard?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Contracts are necessary.

But editing isn't, if you're hoping to find a trade publisher for this book. They'll edit it for you anyway (at least, they will if they're good at what they do) so there's no point in you paying for anyone else to edit it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If there's the possibility that any money whatsoever will pass hands, a contract is always necessary.

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
An agreement is highly recommended, mostly to protect both parties in case of misunderstanding, delays, or other complications. It does not have to say "contract" to act as one. An email or document, agreed to by both writer and editor, should cover the terms of the project, such as what the scope of editing is, what the payment arrangements are, and anything else important, such as timing. For example, it could specify that the project is a single-pass copyedit to fix errors in a 50,000 word manuscript, to be completed within 2 weeks, with half of a fixed payment due up front and half on completion. Or it could be a line edit with the scope agreed on by a sample edit, with an additional fee for further editing if the work is revised. Or the project could be set up on an hourly basis.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
An agreement is highly recommended, mostly to protect both parties in case of misunderstanding, delays, or other complications. It does not have to say "contract" to act as one. An email or document, agreed to by both writer and editor, should cover the terms of the project, such as what the scope of editing is, what the payment arrangements are, and anything else important, such as timing. For example, it could specify that the project is a single-pass copyedit to fix errors in a 50,000 word manuscript, to be completed within 2 weeks, with half of a fixed payment due up front and half on completion. Or it could be a line edit with the scope agreed on by a sample edit, with an additional fee for further editing if the work is revised. Or the project could be set up on an hourly basis.

That is a contract, and is binding, but it needs to be signed by both parties. The danger with something like this is leaving out important details, not specifying all the right things.

It's simply better all around to have a lawyer who specializes in such things draw up a contract. Doing it yourself is almost always a bad idea.