Looking for a Fantasy Editor

greendrake

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to hire a fantasy editor. I need someone with experience, and I'm willing to pay whatever is reasonable.

I've worked with one editor so far, and they were great at copy editing, but they weren't experienced with the genre. They also didn't know much about story.

So the question is, how to begin. I've emailed one person, and they ignored me. Is that normal?

Are really good fantasy editors like hens teeth? Should I vet them first by letting them at the first two chapters?

I don't want someone who just does their thing, and spits it back out at me with little collaboration.

Thanks

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to hire a fantasy editor. I need someone with experience, and I'm willing to pay whatever is reasonable.
I expect somewhere between $1500 and $3000 is what you're looking at.

I've emailed one person, and they ignored me. Is that normal?
No, but editors are often busy people, so it may take a week or two for them to respond to you.

Are really good fantasy editors like hens teeth?
Yep. There are lots of editors out there, but really good ones are less common than bad-to-mediocre ones.

The two I know of who are excellent -- the first through personal experience, the second through repute -- are Debra Doyle and Nicola Griffith.

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
What kind of editing are you looking for? Developmental, line editing or copy? That will affect the price.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I understand Dr. Debra (or is it Deborah?) Doyle comes highly recommended, although I have not used her services myself.

Okay, found her once again, and I spelled it right the first time: http://drdoyleeditorial.com/

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
If I self-publish the 85K fantasy novel I'm revising right now, I'll go back to Betsy. I had planned on contracting her for the 18K version last year. But she sent me some marvelous tips and cautions, after a quick look at a sample and synopsis. Her suggestions figured in my decision to expand and deepen the story, and try commercial publishing first.

greendrake

Registered
Reaction score
What kind of editing are you looking for? Developmental, line editing or copy? That will affect the price.

I'm leaning toward developmental editing because I want someone to help me spot any plot holes. I've caught a lot but its that last 10-20% that I may be missing.

Also all the other input that comes with that level of editing. I need someone who is 100% impartial who is not just a beta reader who will give me professional input.

I can't really trust anything else.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you want changes in the story, in the content, you don't want an editor, you want a book doctor. They're very different skills, and there are a tiny few really good book doctors out there. Maybe half a dozen. They cost a lot, but these tiny few are worth far more than what they charge.

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
A book doctor is one possibility, but plenty of authors get developmental editing services from other editors, and even under that category, there are various approaches possible with a wide range of costs. The best approach depends on author needs and story needs.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A book doctor is one possibility, but plenty of authors get developmental editing services from other editors, and even under that category, there are various approaches possible with a wide range of costs. The best approach depends on author needs and story needs.

There's a huge difference in what a developmental editor and a book doctor does. I wouldn't go within a thousand feet of any developmental editor I've ever encountered. I think they're all completely useless for novels.

They're much better for screenplays, but if you need one for a novel, you need to fine a different line of work. The same is largely true of book doctors, but here there's really no pretense, and with a top book doctor, you're actually getting someone who can write better than you can, who can tell a story better than you can, and who will turn out a professional level novel.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Are you at the stage in your writing where you'll get the most advantage of hiring a book doctor? Ideally, this will be a one-on-one grueling workshop in which you will learn from the book doctor how to do it yourself next time. Or at least have a better idea of what to do.

Sadly, that requires a certain middle level of writing skill. Otherwise, the writer can get stuck needing developmental help with every mss. And paying $$$ for it.

Since you're looking at fantasy, I can say (from my own and hearing other writers' experiences) that Mitchell, Doyle, Edgerton, and Jarrold are solid editors at developmental stages, as well as the nuts-n-bolts stuff. They are not cheap.

greendrake

Registered
Reaction score
Book doctor.

That's a new one on me.

I gotta think about this.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Done at the right time in a writer's learning curve, this route could have nearly as strong an effect as a major genre workshop (there are only a few MFAs tolerant of or focused on genre, sigh.) But like the workshops and the degree programs, engaging a book doctor is a major investment.

One I am too poor to make right now, so I muddle along. Half my goal of trying commercial publication first is to learn from their editors.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
In my very limited experience (from watching other people hire both): scope.

The developmental editor works with what is there, pushing and refining the author's own vision and skills. The book doctor often seems to rewrite the whole book. Good ones seem to teach their authors how to better write, in the process.

But I've never used a book doctor, so I don't know the specifics.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
A development editor is not going to write or rewrite your book for you. A development editor will identify areas of improvement for pacing, plotting, characterization and make suggestions, ask questions. Implementation is up to you. Manuscript development can help you improve how you tell a story and leave you better equipped when writing the next one. I'm not familiar with book doctors.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Teresa Edgerton for developmental editing ( Waylander and Filigree mentioned her, too, I see.)She's amazing She's also busy between writing and editing so might take a while to come back - she can be contacted via her website or she's around the sffchronicles.com a lot.

For line editing JS Maryatt is very good. For copyediting Sam Primeau is excellent - pm me for contact as her website is down.

None of my editors have charged anywhere close to what's been quoted above, btw. John Jarrold charges around £500 (might have gone up a little) and Teresa used to be a little less, although this might have changed as she's more in demand (she's my publisher's editor. I'm a lucky girl...)

Last edited:

Denise Tanaka

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.drobarge.co
It sounds like you're looking for someone who (1) knows the epic fantasy genre very well, (2) is a professional and knows the publishing business, and (3) is not going to try and rewrite your book into their own work. Like hiring any consultant, check the references. Take a look at what other books they have edited. Or, if they are writers turned editors, go read their own work. Teresa Edgerton has a long list of credits to her name.

infinitefrank

Padawan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitefrank.weebly.com
I love science fiction and would say have a good unbiased eye for speculative fantasy. I'm not a professional editor but I wouldn't mind taking a look at your manuscript and taking some notes for you. I can't give you a timeline for reading and the editorial work but I also wouldn't charge you to read it.

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
I've worked with Teresa Edgerton and Laura Anne Gilman. Both are great and well worth their money. John Jarrold, on the other hand, is a big waste of money. PM me if you need to know the detail.