How much do profile pictures matter?

AnnaPappenheim

"Quod me alit, me extinguit."
Registered
Reaction score
How important do you guys think it is for a profile picture on social networking sites to be professional-looking and smiley?

I've read advice that your picture should be a close-up of you with a duchenne smile (a genuine smile-- broad with squinting eyes). And that it should be a professional quality photo and one that people look at and think "author."

If you go to an author's profile and see a picture that is more serious looking or more artistic, does it impact you wanting to buy their book(s)?

Here are some examples of what I mean by "artistic" portraits:
http://nataliaciobanu.deviantart.com/art/artistic-portrait-180235316
http://www.liveitoutphotography.com...artistic_photojournalistic_vsco_film_0051.jpg

I understand some of that is genre-specific (a children's book author with an artistic photo might not work as it would for the author of a memoir), but I'm just not sure I want the typical commercial looking picture. I used to work as a photographer, so getting a professional photo isn't the issue. I can do that on my own for free.

Maybe too it matters if I'm taking about Linked In for Facebook, as Linked In is a business networking site. I do think it would be a good idea to have a more professional looking photo on that site, but maybe another picture on another site? Specifically, I'm wondering about my profile picture on Goodreads. Not sure what to do for it.

Have any of you noticed a difference in sales if you switched photos? Or maybe you just have a good vs. bad response to certain profile photos of others?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're overthinking things. Use a picture that you like.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I agree with Marlys on this one. Just choose one you like.

I found out the hard way not to post any where I look like Batman's Bruce Wayne. (-:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Depends on the social network. If it's on LinkedIn, I expect a professional-looking picture. On most any other network, I don't care.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I typically don't look at an author's photo. When I do, I prefer a nice ol' photo. Too artisty like the photos in your links would be weird. They aren't author photos but posed modeling shots. Just something that shows you are a really person is best.

Take a look at the photo of some of your favorite authors.

Uh oopsie, missed part of the original text. I didn't realize you where talking more generalize photo.

So in that case, I'm still inclined to say the same thing but-- linked in professional, twitter a little more fun, blog, casual pro ... a shot that fits the mood of the environment.

Last edited:

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all!

Good call, Southpaw, on looking at author's I like to see what they've done. I will do that!

Maybe profile pictures are just something that stand out more to me because of my photography background.

NicaCurt

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe profile pictures are just something that stand out more to me because of my photography background.

Hey, me too. Photography is a part of my life, although I've been neglecting it for the last couple of months. The photo I use on my social networking site (twitter, fb, g+, tumblr, and forums) is the one I have as my avatar. I'm in the Urban Fantasy genre, I'm tempted to do a little artsy. But for my Amazon page, I might choose to do a self-portrait that is "industry standard"... Don't really want to do that though.

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, me too. Photography is a part of my life, although I've been neglecting it for the last couple of months. The photo I use on my social networking site (twitter, fb, g+, tumblr, and forums) is the one I have as my avatar. I'm in the Urban Fantasy genre, I'm tempted to do a little artsy. But for my Amazon page, I might choose to do a self-portrait that is "industry standard"... Don't really want to do that though.

Oh hey, thanks for sharing that! I like your profile picture, and I think it definitely works in your genre. I love black and white pictures too, but for a fantasy genre, I think color is best (like what you've got). Nice mask!

NicaCurt

Registered
Reaction score
Oh hey, thanks for sharing that! I like your profile picture, and I think it definitely works in your genre. I love black and white pictures too, but for a fantasy genre, I think color is best (like what you've got). Nice mask!

Thanks. I had fun taking this self-portrait. Vibrant Colors + Photoshop = Fun time. ;)