Create a giveaway

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Hey all,
What host do you use when you run a giveaway on your site? I googled for hosts for blog giveaways and there are a lot of different venues for this. I like the ones that people get more chances to win when they share on twitter, facebook, etc. Essentially the more people interact the more chances they get to win. Which host does that? Does anyone have a favorite for these type of things? I tried searching the AW archives for this discussion and I came upon all the people currently running giveaways, so I apologize if this was posted before. Thank you!

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Frankly I found giveaways to be very little return for the time and investment. JMTC but for one six month period I ran a giveaway every four weeks and could tell no difference between my normal baseline sells and those resulting from giveaway activities.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Michael what does JMTC stand for? "just my..."

I'm having a blog tour in October and I'm having a giveaway at each stop. It's fun. I know the giveaway itself won't generate sale but I'm hoping the host's post will and the giveaway may attract new visitors to my site.

I'm not doing rafflecopter or asking anyone to do anything except comment on the host's post.

I should have mentioned it earlier, but the asking of people to like, join, tweet, etc for points in a giveaway can be tiresome. Now, when I see a rafflecopter, I skip past it. I did a recent post on this and asked others their opinions on this and it was pretty unanimous they didn't like it. They said the pretty much automatically share when they see a giveaway anyway.

Just something to consider.

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Interesting comments! Thank you Michael and Southpaw. You both confirmed the feeling I was having tonight - this doesn't work. I ended up using Promosimple. And... no one entered. I was kind of blown away and wondered what I was doing wrong. I had no idea people aren't into those, because I generally enter them. I'm really glad to hear it's not just my site though. I ended up asking my friends to enter because I was feeling really foolish about the low entry count. I'm even giving away what I think is a nice book - it's photographs of Yosemite with inspiring quotes. I've at least learned something and if I ever do another giveaway, I will perhaps just do it through comments or something. Thanks again for the feedback.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That does sound nice. I thought about this since I asked on my blog and your question. I think - psychologically- for giveaway people don't expect to have to do anything other then put their name in the hat, whereas a contest they are ready to do things.

Oh and I just went to your website. BEAUTIFUL photos on your homepage. I liked your about page a lot too.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just entered and tweeted. Personally, I tweet from my account directly (I don't like adding third party authorizations.) You might add your giveaway to the blog announcement subforum.

bananamelissa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Thanks Southpaw! I really appreciate you going to my page. Extra big thank you's for tweeting the giveaway out.