American Horror Story

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I did not see the nipples. Must watch again. That is all.

Oh, and spoilery stuff.... >>> I don't know if Quintos is current bloody face. Maybe he was old bloody face, but died and someone else dons his skin mask. I don't know. I expect some kind of twist at the end >>>>

Gil Paul

Registered
Reaction score
Sister Jude is not a character you can hate even if you want to. At first, you could only see the B**ch in her but... fade to white... now you really can see how vulnerable she is. She seems to be driven by what she truly perceives to be morality and justice - perhaps filtered through her religious convictions. It will be interesting to see how she punishes herself for her indiscretions.

Mean aliens scare me. Seriously. I have convinced myself that when contact is made, they will have to be friendly. The alternative is just too terrible to consider. If a race of beings were able to achieve interstellar travel, would they not have to be sufficiently advanced to respect life in all of its forms? Hey - do you live in Arizona? I am in NJ. Not as pretty but we have some nice spots for sure.

As for Mrs. Frank - I think she WAS Anne Frank! Otherwise, a heck of a coincidence since she did correctly ID the Nazi!

regards,

Gil

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Gil, I think Anne was Anne too. And I agree, you can't hate Sister Jude now. I hope she woops some butt.

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
Someone on another site has a theory that there is no current day Bloody Face and all the 2012 sequences are actually a movie that the married couple is making. I thought that was an interesting idea.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Watching the pilot on recommendation from a friend. I'm confused -- is this supposed to be scary? It's like a bad Stephen King adaptation. Bag of Bones was better than this. The writing is so on the nose.

Tell me it gets better.

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
Watching the pilot on recommendation from a friend. I'm confused -- is this supposed to be scary? It's like a bad Stephen King adaptation. Bag of Bones was better than this. The writing is so on the nose.

Tell me it gets better.

I hated the pilot when it first aired, then ended up watching the whole first season back in October, and I thought it got better. I never found it scary, but I did enjoy watching it, for the most part.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
First season was very good. It had an overarching storyline. Your archetype haunted house with different stories that eventually made sense when it came together, or by the end of the season for us viewers.

I don't think it's meant to be scary in the typical spooky sense. More psychological and dark and disturbing.

I completely recommend all of first season of AHS.

I'm still waiting for some cohesion on this current season thus far.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Someone on another site has a theory that there is no current day Bloody Face and all the 2012 sequences are actually a movie that the married couple is making. I thought that was an interesting idea.

WOW. That is interesting indeed. I hope that part of the story goes somewhere.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Just finished season one. Yep, I had nothing to do today.

I don't really know what to say about it. Not really memorable, to be honest. Not completely horrible. Filled with pretty much all the comic book tropes pertaining to women and gays I hate. But I wasn't expecting much from Ryan Murphy, anyway. I feel like I just watched a parody of all of my favorite horror films. At one point, I was waiting for a chest monster to burst out of a ghost.

Two touching scenes out of about 12 hours. I give it 1.75 stars out of five. In the hands of a more skilled writer, this could've been good. I had the "mystery" figured out in episode two. If you've ever seen Rosemary's Baby (or just about any classic horror/suspense film) you've seen American Horror Story, sans the overly dramatic writing.

It's kind of like Desperate Housewives with ghosts. But no Eva Longoria. Just a semi-hot redhead.

I swear, it's like I hate anything Ryan Murphy touches. So, I don't think I'll be watching season 2 or Nip/Tuck.

I wish Netflix would hurry up and put the new season of Breaking Bad on. I will die if he ever writes an episode of that.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
AHS purposely has throwbacks to all the horror classics and tropes.

Ryan Murphy isn't everyone's cup of tea. I know for a fact he rubs you the wrong way, Cory. Haha.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Full disclosure: I complain about a lot things other people couldn't care less about.

tldr; -- Ryan Murphy is a terrible writer.

<rant>

I understand that they were supposed to be intentional. But they were so heavy handed. Subtly is an art, especially in the horror genre. If he directed Alien, the aliens would've been in every single scene, fully revealed, chasing ... nevermind. The AVP movies could've been the handy work of Murphy.

It's like dude kept reaching into a magical hat of horror movie tropes and throwing them at the audience, one after the other, hoping one -- just one -- would stick and make us reminisce about a much better movie. The Shining? No? The Black Dahlia? No? How about Psycho?

I kept reminding myself that this was, indeed, a serious television show and not Scary Movie: The Series. At least make the guessing kind of fun? Put your own original spin on it? Maybe? At least make your characters a little intelligent? Subvert the stupidity of horror tropes? Don't make Cassandra Clare's "borrowing" look like a Peter Jackson masterpiece?

I feel like Murphy is the gay, white Tyler Perry. And it's not that he rubs me the wrong way. Brian Konietzo and Michael DiMartino rub me the wrong way. Christopher Nolan rubs me the wrong way. And I LIKE their work.

Murphy is just a terrible writer who could be so much better if he actually cared. It's the wasted potential that bothers me. He doesn't give a fuck about continuity or detail or anything that matters -- except for ratings.

And that, IMO, makes him a terrible writer. When you forget a plot point you mentioned not two episodes ago, that makes you a lazy, terrible writer. When you repeat character arcs over and over again -- when you introduce characters identical to your already present cast -- that makes you a lazy, terrible writer. It's not even like he has a JKR sized universe to manage on his own. He's got a pretty straight forward story with a team of writers (and lots of source material to borrow from). He has no excuse to "forget" the things he does. It's like JKR forgetting she gave Lily green eyes in book #4. Or that Harry is the spitting of James. Or that the Weasley's are poor.

</rant>

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, bloodfiend, can't jump on that wagon. The show is the lovechild of every popular urban legend/horror story out there (or a good darn bunch of them). It's pretty obvious that Murphy is being overly intentional in his heavy-handedness. What else is there to really do with horror anyway? The genre burnt out in the late 80s and pretty much 99% of what came after is utter and complete drivel.

The genre is so formulaic nowadays that you can't really enjoy it for the thrill anymore.

Creepy music.

Psycho shower music.

Oh, it's just the cat! Hee hee.

Sure, the Japanese are doing some seriously messed up shit, but I'm pretty much horror'ed out when it comes to anything that claims to be "new," "exciting," and "really, truly scary."

It's not.

But, American Horror story revels in its decadence. It's not supposed to be new stories with fresh ideas (not possible at this point, imho). It's a full-fledged mockery of the genre in such an in-your-face kind of way, that I'll never be able to watch a horror movie again without thinking, "Ryan Murphy did it better and he wasn't even trying."

AHS purposely has throwbacks to all the horror classics and tropes.

Ryan Murphy isn't everyone's cup of tea. I know for a fact he rubs you the wrong way, Cory. Haha.

Jehhillenberg is right. Yet again. As she is in many things. She is Yoda and I'm pretty intent on listening to her. :)

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Ryan Murphy isn't really my cup of tea, so I do find AHS frustrating to a degree. But AHS is also the only show of Murphy's that I've stuck with beyond a couple episodes.

I feel like both seasons have had some genuinely spooky moments. But I also agree that it's intentionally heavy-handed and plays with a lot of old tropes in a lovingly mocking way. I can see why the craziness would put people off, and sometimes it puts me off a bit. But it's one of those things where you'll either like it or you won't, and I mostly like it.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that everyone who likes AHS also likes Revenge. And Glee. And The Walking Dead. If I am correct in that assumption, I have come to the conclusion that my finger will never be on the pulse of the average American and my career as a screenwriter will never, ever, take off -- I will be doomed to write unproduced indie dramroms forever.

Leaving that dramatic note aside, I would like to enjoy most things. I just can't. I'm like that anal professor in that popular MG/YA spec-fic series who finds failure everywhere and won't shut up about it.

Sorry, bloodfiend, can't jump on that wagon.
I don't really expect anyone to ever agree with me, so there's no need to apologize. No one does. At least, not about television shows on this forum. I just like venting and I haven't yet joined another forum filled with cynical people like myself who hate almost everything running except Breaking Bad and Mad Men.
The show is the lovechild of every popular urban legend/horror story out there (or a good darn bunch of them). It's pretty obvious that Murphy is being overly intentional in his heavy-handedness.
I'm surprised to find that being heavy-handed and obvious are suddenly quality traits in horror... suspense... parody... whatever this show is. In that case, the Wayans brothers are geniuses.

Look, I know his heavy handedness is intentional. Dude couldn't be subtle if he tried. Dude's writing is less subtle than Mr. Herbert on Family Guy.

I just don't think being obvious as fuck all the time is a good thing.
What else is there to really do with horror anyway? The genre burnt out in the late 80s and pretty much 99% of what came after is utter and complete drivel.
That's not exactly true. There's still good, new horror being made in pretty much the same quantity as it was before.
The genre is so formulaic nowadays that you can't really enjoy it for the thrill anymore.

Creepy music.

Psycho shower music.

Oh, it's just the cat! Hee hee.
The same can be said for just about any genre. Action. RomCom. Science-Fiction. DramCom. Indie. Historical Adventure. Thriller. A lot of it is bad. A lot of it has always been bad. Most of it goes over the same standard, old tropes over and over again. Ask any screenwriter who reads recent scripts. Horror is no different, except that the bar for good horror, apparently, is much, much lower.

Sure, the Japanese are doing some seriously messed up shit, but I'm pretty much horror'ed out when it comes to anything that claims to be "new," "exciting," and "really, truly scary."
I wouldn't say there's nothing new and exciting out there, horror wise. If you're a fan of the genre, there is. Pan's Labyrinth. The Orphanage. Let The Right One In. The Crazies. The Woman in Black. The Devil's Backbone.

Suspense wise, since, apparently AHS isn't even horror now, we have many, many good suspenseful mysteries that I don't even have to name. Before M.Night royally fucked himself over, even he was doing alright with the genre.

Horror isn't dead. It's evolved. I don't even follow the genre that closely, but the 80's didn't burn it out any more than the 80's burned out pop music or action flicks. Audiences are just clamoring for boring Paranormal Activity sequels and movies about exorcisms and slasher flicks to get press like the Chris Brown wannabes and Shia LeBouf. God knows why.
But, American Horror story revels in its decadence.
If the genre were declining, I'd agree. It certainly is contributing to it's (non-existent) downfall.
It's not supposed to be new stories with fresh ideas (not possible at this point, imho). It's a full-fledged mockery of the genre in such an in-your-face kind of way, that I'll never be able to watch a horror movie again without thinking, "Ryan Murphy did it better and he wasn't even trying."
Is it a parody or a serious show? I would really like to know. Am I supposed to be sitting on the edge of my chair or am I supposed to be laughing? Because it doesn't really mock the genre. Mocking the genre would require... I don't know, skill. Sometimes, it wants to be serious. Sometimes, it just kind of veers into B-movie territory. It's kind of like saying Not Another Teen Movie is a serious homage to John Hughes's movies, then backtracking to say it's a parody or a satire or mocking the tropes or whatever we want to call AHS.

I mean, really, Ryan Murphy is doing horror better without trying? Human Centipede: Full Sequence was a huge PoS, not fit to wipe an ass with (no pun intended if you've seen the movie) but that mocked the slasher genre better than this mocked the horror genre. And that wasn't even trying. This is listed as a Horror/Drama/Mystery everywhere I look. We can't say on one hand that it's trying to mock the genre by handling every single trope badly then on the other hand say it's a serious homage to horror and that it's suspenseful and creepy and yadayadayada.

Do I watch this like Desperate Housewives and revel in the cheesy bad extremeness? Or do I take it seriously, like a Del Toro film? It's got the same bad tonal changes as Glee -- not knowing when it wants to be serious -- giving the audience a chance to cry and shudder -- and when it wants to be funny, leaving me high and dry. You're either Shaun of the Dead or Dawn of the Dead. You can't be both.

Next, someone is going to try and convince me that Twilight effectively mocks the vampire genre and that they'll never be able to watch a movie with vampires without remembering how Stephenie Meyer did a much better job without even trying.

And I liked 10% of Twilight, not going to lie. But I would never pass it off as anything other than what the creator intended it to be -- a romance (and it's a bad one). Not a satirical glance at what romance has become and what will be accepted by the average American woman as a sexual fantasy. Not a psychological drama bent on unfolding the mind of a psychopath. A romance. I don't even think it's a good example of YA romance, but that's what it is. And there's nothing wrong with that. But let's not pass off a banana for an apple. Certainly not a rotted banana for an apple.

Murphy says his main goal is to scare viewers. From his mouth:"I went from Nip/Tuck to Glee, so it made sense that I wanted to do something challenging and dark. And I always had loved, as Brad had, the horror genre. So it just was a natural for me."

So, if that was his intent, he failed. I think he'd be an awesome writer for Family Guy or The Cleveland Show. Over the top gags are his thing. He's very, very good at that. But if you're never able to watch a horror movie without thinking Ryan Murphy did better without even trying, I'd say you probably aren't watching very good horror movies. I'd say they're most likely the horror equivalent of For Colored Girls. Or Glitter.

Yes, Murphy does a spectacular job writing bad B-movies (well, mini-series thing). I will never be able to watch a bad b-movie without thinking how Murphy did a better job. I will fully admit that AHS is better than the remake of The Thing, the remake of Psycho, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Devil, and Paranormal Activity 3. Mocking bad b-movies is not that hard. Really.

If he'd taken on a real task by effectively mocking good classics, I'd be able to get down with this show. Instead, he applies b-movie tropes to good movies. (Damn, him and Perry really are brothers from another mother). It's like taking tropes from White Chicks (a Wayans movie) and using them to mock Bamboozled (a Spike Lee movie) -- or write a homage to Bamboozled and the exploitation genre. I'm still lost on what AHS is trying to accomplish.

Suspenseful mash-up homage or satirical mockery. I just can't say. I mean, X-Files did the exact same thing to sci-fi ten years ago. And, for the most part, it did it well.

Jehhillenberg is right. Yet again. As she is in many things. She is Yoda and I'm pretty intent on listening to her. :)
I'm not sure Yoda is the best comparison to draw if you're trying to say she's right. Yoda was pretty much wrong about everything in both the original trilogy, and the prequels.

I'd go with Dumbledore, or at the very least, Gandalf. Hell, I'd even go with Madea in terms of "mentors who are right most of the time".

But I'm not attempting to convert anyone. You like what you like. I just happen to think Murphy is a horrible over the top writer who makes offensive shit 40% of the time (and no one ever calls him on it), yet, he's loved for some unknown reason that I wish I could discover. Once, just once, I'd like for someone to explain how Murphy's writing "style" (forgetting plot points, rewriting characters, forgetting arcs, forgetting characters, retconning in the middle of the show, changing tone) is a good thing. If it is, I guess I've been doing things wrong for a very long time.

This review pretty much sums up what I think of this show.

Murphy and Falchuk have talked to the press about how the show was inspired by their love of '60s and '70s psychological horror/thriller films like "Rosemary's Baby" and "Don't Look Now," and that they want to really explore this particular family unit. But the Harmons never seem like a family; just three vaguely-connected people who occasionally cross paths so they can yell past each other. And whatever thematic points the writers want to make gets lost in the rush to assault the viewers' senses with the next whacked-out idea.

Ben is a therapist, and in the second episode he treats a woman who has a recurring dream about being chopped in two in an elevator accident. Ben goes on a long riff about what the dream represents, and asks, "What do you think might be shut down in you?" The patient replies, "I don't know. I think I'm just afraid of being cut in half."

That's "American Horror Story" in a nutshell. It has pretensions of depth and ambition, but really all it's about is whatever cool thing Murphy and Falchuk wanted to do next, hurled at the screen with such reckless abandon that none of it works.
I think I'm going to watch Twin Peaks, now. I'm hoping that doesn't disappoint me, too. I mean, it's not like I'm looking for things to hate.

The one good thing I will say about AHS: I liked the daughter's suicide/death arc. That was the one unique, emotional thing that actually gripped me -- that scene in the tub. Too bad I saw it coming, Sixth Sense style. Even still, I thought it was pretty good.

And I will conclude this extremely long comment by saying this: I understand what it means to make a parody/mockery/whatever that's so over the top, you look at movies in the genre with a new eye. But I don't think Murphy achieved that. It wasn't even his goal. Murphy did not write a Blazing Saddles or a Deathtrap. He did not write an X-Files. He didn't even write a Scream (okay, okay, I liked AHS more than Scream). And if he intended to do so, he failed.

I'm not even going to entertain the notion that AHS is in the same league as Se7en or Memento -- or even Drag Me to Hell.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
1. Movies don't need to be clearly defined as "just a horror," or "just a parody," or "just a suspense film." These are titles given to stories to categorize them. Same with genre in Barnes and Noble. I'm pretty okay with people blurring the lines.

2. I enjoy the show because I love seeing how far Ryan will go. Where other films just flirt with an idea (the devil possessing sister Eunice as an example), Ryan takes it to a whole new level. Can't say I remember any possession story on film or on television quite going to this length. He's letting us hang with it for a while instead of expelling, expelling, expelling. The power of Christ compels you!

3. I can't recall when Murphy ever tied up all loose ends in AHS or tried to candy-coat answers and revelations. There are still many unanswered questions about season 1. But, you learn pretty quickly that he has no intention of answering some of these questions and if you're along for the ride, you're along. If not, then no biggie. I'm sure there's something else to watch out there that meets a viewer's expectations.

4. In a sense, Murphy is looking for the gimmick in horror. Let's see how much I can shock you. It may be the same story we know, but he tells it in a different way, imho, he "goes there." I don't need to know why and I don't need it all to make sense (aliens, wtf?). I'm cool with watching awesome performances and seeing what he'll do next.

5. Never thought you were trying to convert, but I have to ask myself why you continue to watch. I gave up on Revolution after 2 episodes because I felt it insulted my intelligence to the point where I could feel my IQ level dropping. Don't watch it anymore. Not worth my time.

6. If you want to argue Yoda, that's cool. Seems a bit weird. I was making a funny about another board member. It's not that big of a deal. It's Yoda.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
5. Never thought you were trying to convert, but I have to ask myself why you continue to watch. I gave up on Revolution after 2 episodes because I felt it insulted my intelligence to the point where I could feel my IQ level dropping. Don't watch it anymore. Not worth my time.
A friend told me to watch season one and I want to discuss it with him. Additionally, everyone said it got better after the pilot. And it did, but not by much.

I like talking about pop culture. It is my self-appointed job to study recent popular shows in order to become a screenwriter. I can't say I dislike an entire show after one episode. I have to give the entire season a fair chance, otherwise I feel like I'm talking out of my ass. And, who knows, I might discover something of value.

I watched the most recent episode of Bones a few months ago and it was terrible. I went back and watched the first two seasons. I thought they were pretty good. Thankfully, I did not judge the entire show based on that singular episode from season seven.
6. If you want to argue Yoda, that's cool. Seems a bit weird. I was making a funny about another board member. It's not that big of a deal. It's Yoda.
I thought it was a humorous comparison. That's all. Like using Samwise Gamgee to make a case for independent thought. I don't see where an argument comes into play.

As for the rest of your points, well, I don't exactly see a response to any of the questions I asked. I'm well aware that nothing is ever just a parody or just a horror or just a romance. Dr. Who is a good example of this. However, we know Murphy's intent was to write something scary. Not a mockery, but a homage. And I don't agree that being so over the top you're wondering what he's going to pull out of his ass is a good technique to horror. Just go watch a stupid slasher film. Or fake snuff, for that matter. They'll keep wondering how far they're willing to go right up until the woman gives birth in a car and steps on her fetus to gun the engine.

Human Centipede: Full Sequence, as I said before, is just a bloodier AHS. It's got every element this contains. It even lacks "intelligent" dialog. There's hardly any at all.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't bring myself to watch season 2, but I have to say, with the exception of Jessica Lange, I thought the acting was crap.
This[sup]10[/sup]. She was the only character I was really, really interested in but when I turned it off during the first episode, I figured it wasn't worth it if I only wanted to know more about one person in the story and wanted everybody else to just shut up and go away.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Well season 1, maybe. Season 2 is awesome, imho (in terms of acting). Damn. Lots of hate for this show! Is there anyone who actually watches it, and you know, doesn't flagellate at the same time?

I mean, I loathe anime. I also don't watch it because of that fact. I guess I'm confused as to why someone would watch a show they find nothing redeeming about. I'd take that hour and knock out a chapter. :)

Last edited:

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Well season 1, maybe. Season 2 is awesome, imho (in terms of acting). Damn. Lots of hate for this show! Is there anyone who actually watches it, and you know, doesn't flagellate at the same time?

I mean, I loathe anime. I also don't watch it because of that fact. I guess I'm confused as to why someone would watch a show they find nothing redeeming about. I'd take that hour and knock out a chapter. :)

Same here, same here. :) Though I did watch some anime way back when unbeknownst.

But, season 1 was best for me. I did like seeing Dylan McDermott return this season (dayum that man make over 50 look gooood).

As far as acting, I gotta give it to Jessica Lange, of course. But Evan Peters (my God!), Zach Quinto, and Sarah Paulson are faves.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Sarah Paulson is amazing. Every time I see her, though, I think of her very tiny role in Serenity where we see her holo-image talk about Reavers.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I kept wracking my brain for where I knew her from. She's got a familiar place but I couldn't place her. Then IMDB-ed her and I think I recognize her from that WB show "Jack and Jill."

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

It's a valid question. And I think it's one thing Ryan Murphy is very good at. I enjoyed the first season of Nip/Tuck. I couldn't stop watching it. Then it got pretty lame. And yet, I couldn't stop watching it because I kept thinking it was going to get as good as it was the first season. But it got much, much worse. Then, I couldn't stop watching it because it was a trainwreck. I swear, straight people would never get away with the disgusting stereotypes of gay people he had on that show.

Anyway, the whole first season of AHS was like the entire series of Nip/Tuck, as far as the quality was concerned. When I found out they were starting again with a new story, I felt completely insulted. So I quit watching. But up until that point, it kept me wanting to see more, even though it was stupid and cliche and stole from several horror movies I'd seen. It's like the same reason people watch soap operas. They don't actually think it's brilliant writing, but the writers know how to hook you, even if it's with silly stuff.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
That's really too bad about Nip/Tuck. I had caught a few episodes of season 1 on television when it first came out. Not sure why I stopped watching. I think it was a scheduling conflict back before I had TiVO or whatnot. I really liked what I saw of the show. Bummer that it went downhill. Like Heroes downhill? Or a slow descent?