How important is an agency's track record of sales in your genre?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
One thing you might do is search for the name or agency on the Association of Author Representatives website. Not all legitimate or selling agents are members, of course, but if they are a member, then their sales have been verified. The AAR also has a great FAQ page with a list of questions to ask an agent once they've expressed interest.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
ElaineA, thank you so much for directing me to Janet Reid's blog post. It was very helpful. And yes, I've asked the agent all the questions you mentioned and have been satisfied with the answers.

On a different note (and not directed at Elaine), I would really appreciate it if those of you who have thousands of posts in these forums would consider your tone when answering questions from newbies on AbsoluteWrite. I'm noticing an increasing trend of replies to newbies' posts (including mine) with the clear assumption that just because we haven't posted here very often, we are complete idiots and know nothing about writing or the publishing process. I consider AbsoluteWrite a wonderful forum filled with very wise people but would like to see newbies treated with more courtesy.

I absolutely support this. I've almost started a thread about it (but chickened out). This place is scary. It's got lots of loud voices. Except that I'm a confident writer with thousands of posts on my home forum, I'd have run away with my tail between my legs. I still often do for weeks at a time. It's not about ott posts that could be reported but a general feel - maybe a newby forum would help to let people connect with other new members? Just a thought.

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
There is a newbie forum. It's the very first one on the main page. It's a great place to get your feet wet.

I'm sorry you and the OP have felt unwelcome at times, Springs2. We have a LOT of members, with a wide variety of personalities. Some of them are very successful, but a bit curmugeony. Try to look past the stern to get to the help offered. Remember that people aren't under any obligation to help. We do it because we all feel it's important for newbies to learn the industry. Some people just teach in a different style. :)

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
I appreciate that, and am starting to learn who's who and what not. I'm fairly robust and confident so felt able to speak up. And I've had more welcoming posts than anything else. :)

(I think it is useful for established members to bear in mind not every newby is a newby writer, though.)
/ Thread derailment over. :)

Herstory

Registered
Reaction score
Since I was the one who derailed the thread in the first place, I feel responsible to get it back on track (but thanks for your support, Springs2!).

I'd like to add to what Lady Chipmunk said about needing to actually talk to the prospective agent. I went to a conference once and met an agent I was in awe of (no names or dates will be mentioned). On paper, and on the agency website, she was extremely impressive: record of sales, contacts in the industry, professionalism, you name it). However, when I met her I knew within five minutes I could never work with her. Our communication styles and personalities completely clashed.

This experience taught me a great lesson. I will never sign with an agent without speaking to him/her on the phone and trying to get a sense of whether this is someone I could actually work with (meeting in person would be ideal, but that's not always possible).

Herstory

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cathy! I loved your article and I took the quiz too. This actually explains a lot about the agent I met at that conference whom I knew I couldn't work with. (She was a super fierce tiger!)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to ask a very inexperienced question.

How do you know what an agent's or agency's publishing record is? Do they post that stuff on their website, or is there some master forum you check out?

Thanks in advance. :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Many agencies post their sales on their websites: they list the books their clients have had published.

You can also find out who they represent, and see what they've sold, and how well those books have done.

Some agents list their sales on Publishers' Weekly, but not all do, and not all who do keep their lists up to date there. So while it's a useful resource it's not entirely reliable.

In short, you have to do your own research.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I second doing a search. Sometimes a quick Google will tell you a ton. For example, my agent is Merrilee Heifetz. I just typed her name into Google and got a whole page of places to look up information . Most important, it gives deals she's made and even photos of her with clients at events. Not all agents are going to have a web presence of a long-standing agent, of course, but you can find interviews and author blogs and lots of other stuff. Sometimes a search will pull up bad stuff too. That's part of the investigative process too.

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
Preditors and Editors is another good place to look. It doesn't list details of sales, but it does note if agents have them or not.

Last edited: