Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's raining lightly now, and the pump hasn't even cycled on in the last five minutes. I think the danger is passed.

I went for lab work prior to next week's doctor visit. Please, please tell me I will never be like the lady in front on me, who ignored the sign saying to have her photo ID ready, could not find it in a purse the size of a suitcase, and insisted loudly they let her give a urine sample right now, never mind the paperwork.

I mean, I get really needing to pee, but the delay was her own damned fault for ignoring the sign (and what they tell you on the phone when they confirm the appointment) about the ID.

Maryn, who was pleasant to deal with

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thank you all for the positive vibes--Kid Two just got a job offer, a good one! Whew, huh? Eighteen months of applying and no nibbles, no doubt due to bias (whether intended or not). She will be working on shooting lasers from the moon for an employer which "is also committed to diversity and inclusion in the workforce as core values."

Maryn, really excited for her

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
I always prefer an audience for my loin girdling ;)

So I talked to my grandmother. My grandmother was already planning on letting someone move into the trailer rent free if they worked on the property once she got her new house built. So I told her that M and I would be happy to. She is excited about this.... SO fighting my mom and her sisters now. It's going to be ugly.

Y'all are cracking me up with the loins girding/viewing.

And it's sad when people will fight just to fight. Sounds like your plan is simple common sense.

I thank you all for the positive vibes--Kid Two just got a job offer, a good one! Whew, huh? Eighteen months of applying and no nibbles, no doubt due to bias (whether intended or not). She will be working on shooting lasers from the moon for an employer which "is also committed to diversity and inclusion in the workforce as core values."

That's awesome Maryn!!!

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all are cracking me up with the loins girding/viewing.
Oh we are terrible terrible people... Well I'm not. I'm a perfect angel, maybe a fallen one that bounced around hell for a while before crawling out through a brothel but that's still an angel, but that Maryn whew. She is just dirty all the time and Lily... She's actually a secret dominatrix. And tas... Well tas is evil you have to watch for her. How about you come stand over by me :evil

elinor

Registered
Reaction score

Awesome! And that job sounds really cool.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caleb, you've got that backwards. The book I just sold is a FemDomme. It's Lily who's dirty all the time--except when she's cooking, I hope.

I haven't sent back the contract because they asked for a new title and I'm just... stuck. I didn't like the title I had but couldn't do any better. I need to try again, I guess. Can I just call it "The Call of the Wild" or "A Tale of Two Cities" and be done with it?

Maryn, who's usually good with titles

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did not get it backwards Maryn. I was covering for you because you have tons of clients already. And high profile ones at that.

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
Oh we are terrible terrible people... Well I'm not. I'm a perfect angel, maybe a fallen one that bounced around hell for a while before crawling out through a brothel but that's still an angel, but that Maryn whew. She is just dirty all the time and Lily... She's actually a secret dominatrix. And tas... Well tas is evil you have to watch for her. How about you come stand over by me :evil

"I'm an angel undergraced,
barely clothed and evil laced."

Line from a poem I wrote in college. Marrying a minister forced me to really clean up my mouth, but the older I get, the more I return to my old ways. My Daddy raised me on Monty Python and dirty jokes. I cannot help what I am.

And now I am off to a lake in Alabama to spend a few days with friends and not obsess over the agent round of Pitch Wars being 2 weeks away.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy travels! We'll be here when you get back.

So, if I go walking now, will I get rained on? It looks pretty iffy, but the forecast says only a 35% chance.

Maryn, made of sugar salt

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I lurk and read in this place multiple times a day, and so I forget sometimes that it's been days since I actually SAID something.

So...hi!

Not dead yet.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, everybody.

Yesterday we had a rare phone call with Kid Two, because Mr. Maryn had much to say to her and I'm a good buffer if there's friction. She's doing better with her voice, which will not be changed by hormones, making it a little higher and lighter. (She reports it's very difficult.)

She's more on top of things than we'd feared, which is a pleasure to know. She has a new roommate signing a lease this week, replacing the ex who took off one month in. The ex honored her obligation to pay rent for this month even though she doesn't live there, and they are on good terms socially, which is important since they share a social circle. She's going to need a car to get to the new job, but has enough left in savings to get something reliable, a newish used vehicle. She thinks she has enough of a professional wardrobe to get started but isn't sure what she should be wearing, since all the women she saw were my age and she'd just as soon dress a tad younger.

So all in all, it was good to hear she's doing pretty well. Unlike The Kid, whose lack of communication means things are going fine, when Kid Two is quiet, you can't tell what's going on. I guess it was worth the risk of intruding and demanding a chunk of her time, which I used to resent when my mom did it. (<--guilty secret)

Maryn, on the last of the coffee

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for Kid Two getting settled!

I practiced figure eights at the skating rink today. They don't teach them to kids anymore, but it's really meditative and yoga-esque. And hard, dammit. My teacher is retired from a career coaching competitive figure skaters; now she charges next to nothing and rants about how the kids today have terrible posture.

She's pretty awesome (also a great reader). She, maybe 15 years my senior and after hip surgery, can do figure eights. I cannot.

I swear there's a lesson in there for writers, but I can't figure it out. :) Back to editing. (Five days till boss' vacation ends and I can write again!)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any time I hear of people doing figure eights or other ice designs, I'm reminded of the Tom Waits song "Alice," in which he writes her name twice by skating on the ice, and falls through the ice of Alice.

Which in turn leads me to boys writing their names in the snow with pee, and a guy I used to know named Christopher who could not...

Maryn, her mind all over the place

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
I got an 89% on a midterm and now I feel distractedly crabby. Going in tomorrow to speak with the professor and see where I need to improve. Grr. Argh.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning from the train and its bumpy ride. At least when I get there I don't have to park it.

Maryn, traveler

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! :hi:

Sorry I've been so absent lately (even more so that usual) deadlines and day job and life and the conferenceI've been helping to plan have kept me crazy busy.

But the conference is this weekend, and things are calming down.

Maryn, who was pleasant to deal with

Maryn, I love your sign off lines. They often make me smile, if not laugh. Just thought I'd let you know I enjoy them. :)

And yay for Kid Two! For the job, in a good environment, and for a good check in that shows her doing well. Wonderful!

Lily -- good luck with the MWA chapter. Sounds logical to have one up your way. We struggle here with our SCBWI chapter being statewide, because all of the big events happen in the south central/south eastern part of the state. But we've been trying to do smaller events around the state to better include members who live in other parts.

Lily 2 -- Ugh on the former coworker/selfpub/now I want an agent thing. It's becoming increasingly difficult to help newbies to the business side of publishing understand that patience is key.

Tas -- a good, trusted repair shop is gold. And I love the Ninja Turtle scarf! My nephew would go crazy for that.

The Joys of Writing: I get two chapters after my obligatory "research the suspects" chapter and realized I'd completely skipped a suspect. :Headbang: *tabs up several pages* *adds more paragraphs*

Yup. I've spent most of the last 6-7 weeks revising the first 70 pages of novel two -- two steps forward, three steps back...

Caleb -- good luck with the family drama, and hope all works out! Sounds like it would be good for you and M and for your grandmother.

I always prefer an audience for my loin girdling ;)

Snerk.

Dys -- you sound crazy busy, too. So here's me waving hello as we pass through the thread. :hi:

Well, I'll never trust Caleb with one of my secrets again, that's for sure. :whip:

Just trying to get you more business.

Caleb, you've got that backwards. The book I just sold is a FemDomme. It's Lily who's dirty all the time--except when she's cooking, I hope.

:ROFL:

I lurk and read in this place multiple times a day, and so I forget sometimes that it's been days since I actually SAID something.

So...hi!

Not dead yet.

I do this, too. Not every day, but I probably check the thread several times a week, and start to reply, and then get interrupted and forget to finish.

I got an 89% on a midterm and now I feel distractedly crabby. Going in tomorrow to speak with the professor and see where I need to improve. Grr. Argh.

It's great you want to do better, but an 89% isn't bad, right?

Fuchsia - Skaing figure eights sounds like it could almost be meditative. Nice.

Conference this weekend -- so the hard part of the planning is done. Then an author friend staying a few days with us next week. And then back to sunk in the revision on deadline. I'm just racing to get everything done before surgery in December, which hopefully won't be that bad, but my reward will be a few days of recooperative Netflix and DVR watching once it's over.

Hugs and hig fives as needed!

~suki

Status
Not open for further replies.