Rejectomancy

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
:Hug2: all around.

Three rejections over thirty hours. Two were for the same story, which should count for something. If nothing else, proof of subjectivity in publishing. (Which actually makes no sense at all, unless I point out that one was a very close rejection and the other was an instaform rejection.)

Last edited:

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Ah, Pedestal. How I love thee...

No word yet, but their new issue is live, so I guess my submission has been rejected, since it's Mark Nipple-less.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

No word yet, but their new issue is live, so I guess my submission has been rejected, since it's Mark Nipple-less.

ditto.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, me too. Almost tempted to just assume it's rejected and carry on immediately. I wish they'd just state as much in their guidelines ("if you didn't make the issue, you were rejected" kind of thing).

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Yup, me too. Almost tempted to just assume it's rejected and carry on immediately. I wish they'd just state as much in their guidelines ("if you didn't make the issue, you were rejected" kind of thing).
Seriously, that would be so helpful. I think it's obvious that they can't handle the volume of stories they receive if there are 100+ pending responses on duotropes. *looks* That 0-day acceptance makes me cry a little.

And fuck Mark Nipple.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
13-day bounce from DSF with a little note saying the story almost made it.

I also got a personal R from DSF today. (This one would fit even the stricter definition of personal in that it briefly said what they liked and didn't like about the story.)

I'm in a weird place with that market. I'm 3/10 at getting personal notes there (which is apparently very unusual given their Duotrope stats) but I haven't yet managed to actually make it to the second level/round.

Ah, well. Write more stories, send them more stories. That's all that can be done.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Well, after a drought, I got an R. At least I now know I haven't died and failed to notice. At least it was higher tier, which is a first for me from that pub.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations for the Rs, folks. Still just crickets for me at the moment. Which means I'm still riding the high of my first acceptance back on Monday. No pesky rejections to dampen the joy.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
35 day personal R from Ideomancer. This is the longest I've ever hung on in their slush. Moving onward.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This has been a rough day. 3 rejections total: DSF, Ideomancer, and Triangulation anthology. All have been nice/encouraging, especially the Triangulation one (where Stephen included comments from five other editors in addition to his own thoughts) -- but it's the close ones that are the toughest.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com

Seriously, that would be so helpful. I think it's obvious that they can't handle the volume of stories they receive if there are 100+ pending responses on duotropes. *looks* That 0-day acceptance makes me cry a little.

And fuck Mark Nipple.

I haven't heard either, so I'm assuming the same.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I'm official. I just got my first rejection.

I'm not disappointed for a couple reasons...

First I was too impulsive with that particular story. After I sent it, I decided it wasn't polished enough. Learning curve...I'll just send it back out.

Also, what are the odds I would get my very first subbed story submitted? So I figure I'm one rejection closer to getting an acceptance.

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I'm official. I just got my first rejection.

I'm not disappointed for a couple reasons...

First I was too impulsive with that particular story. After I sent it, I decided it wasn't polished enough. Learning curve...I'll just send it back out.

Also, what are the odds I would get my very first subbed story submitted? So I figure I'm one rejection closer to getting an acceptance.

Congratulations on getting your first piece out. It's a big hurdle. Chin up, as you can see we all deal with the rejection. and BTW, it happens to me regularly that I read something 100X, sub it out, then notice I had one teeny tiny mistake in it.....

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Personal R today from a market to remain nameless. (And, no, that's not a hint at the market's name... Just realized it could be construed that way...)

I can't tell if they liked the story or not. :Huh:

Though I suppose it really doesn't matter. Oh, well... Off to try to find another home for this one.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Crickets on 9 stories out at the moment. I'm only sitting on an average wait of about 40 days, but two of the stories have been out for less than a week. The longest one is at 152 days now. I'm sure the Rs are just waiting to roll in.