Registered
Reaction score
-

Last edited:

Julz

Queen of My Own Universe
Registered
Reaction score
You can query it, and you have to mention that it was once self-published. You could probably get away with not mentioning it in the query stage until someone shows interest, but leaving this out would not make agents happy.

Janet Reid answered a question about querying a self-published book. It's not exactly your question, but it may still help you. It's here.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
There are many wiser and more experienced than I, but I've heard about this topic a couple of times.

If you query it, you absolutely need to mention it. My understanding is once a book is published, it's published. It's awesome that an agent remembers it, and remembers liking it, but unless sales were in the stratosphere, most agents [read: most agents I've seen hold forth on this topic] are not interested.

Julz

Queen of My Own Universe
Registered
Reaction score
There's no harm in querying it, if you're upfront about it.

eta: I think you should mention it at the query stage. An agent might be too peeved if she spends time on it only to find out after that it has already been published. If you absolutely don't want to mention it at the query, include a note about it when you send the requested partial/full.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
2-D, please don't delete your comments like that. It turns threads into nonsense.

Leave your posts in place. It means other people can benefit from the discussion too.

Let me know if you'd like me to reinstate your comments. I would strongly advise it.

Last edited:

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
2D, it may be worth adding to hack's comments that on seeing all the deletions I initially assumed you had some flameout or other bout of deeply unprofessional conduct. Given that agents do hang out here, if they could trace you back to a given work and they were left with the same assumption, your deletions might even hurt you as well. Also, were you to serially delete, I can say I would be less interested in answering any of your questions--I suspect many others would notice and feel the same as well, and you'd lose most of the input you were seeking in a short span of time as folks turned elsewhere...

Just food for thought.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great - a total waste of time checking this thread out.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
There's no harm in querying it, if you're upfront about it.

eta: I think you should mention it at the query stage. An agent might be too peeved if she spends time on it only to find out after that it has already been published. If you absolutely don't want to mention it at the query, include a note about it when you send the requested partial/full.

that would already be considered dishonest or questionable at best. not the greatest way to sell oneself when entering any business relationship.

If that was too subtle:

This (the suggestion in bold) is a lie of omission. Don't lie when querying.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As the OP has deleted his posts and knows by now that that's not a helpful thing to do, I'll lock this now. OP, send me a PM if you'd like the thread reopened, and if you would like to have your posts reinstated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.