What's your favourite scene in your WIP(s)?

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Don't feel the pressure to narrow it down to just one, if you'd rather not, and you can put it under white if it's a spoiler. I just thought it might be nice, in light of the end of NaNo on the horizon, for a nice light, positive thread. If you have more than one WIP, as well, feel free to specify multiple, and why. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Not counting the spoilertastic final scene of the novel I just finished for NaNo, I think my favorite scene is when my villain character jumps out of a moving car and runs in front of a fireball to save the guy he hasn't yet figured out is his first real friend.

In the first book in the series, my favorite scenes are both his as well. And these all make him sound more action-oriented than he is. 1) He makes all these plans to meet the heroine, which are foiled by another villain, so he crawls through the sewers, complaining the whole time about his wardrobe, and kills the other villain in what is clearly an overreaction to the problem. 2) He finds himself in the heroine's room and doesn't know why, so he freaks out over the "trap," jumps out of her window, and breaks his leg. Then he proceeds to be adorably pathetic as he tries to get out of her backyard with the broken leg.

I'll probably be back with others ;)

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
So . . . is it bad that my favorite scenes are always the dark ones? For real, every favorite scene is where everything hits the fan and either somebody dies or something really bad happens.

I can't explain my favorite scene because it is also a "spoilertastic" scene at the end. And it's very dark, of course lol

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Not counting the spoilertastic final scene of the novel I just finished for NaNo, I think my favorite scene is when my villain character jumps out of a moving car and runs in front of a fireball to save the guy he hasn't yet figured out is his first real friend.

OMG, I'm hooked on your whole book just from that. I love that kind of stuff. :D

Most of my favorite scenes have been fistfights between attractive males. I have a thing?

Sadly, I didn't write any of those into my latest WIP. I guess for that one I'll go with when my MC summons the Devil at a crossroads, and the resulting conversation. Mainly because the Devil is a fun character to write, oh my. Also because this is the point when, whenever I'm rereading, I want to throw the draft across the room at how foolish my MC is being. :tongue

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
My fav scene (or maybe just the fav I have written [so far]) is currently in the YA SWY (un-critiqued :/ ).

Basically, the mc writes a horrendously cliché opening chapter to a story, presenting it to his new girlfriend as if he'd put his heart and soul into it; he knows the only reason she asked him to write out a 'story of their first date' is because she wants to get inside his mind, and he isn't having it. She figures it out of course, being the one with book smarts, and the story continues.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
So . . . is it bad that my favorite scenes are always the dark ones? For real, every favorite scene is where everything hits the fan and either somebody dies or something really bad happens.

Naaaaahhh. My favorite scene in my first book was when the sweetest character (who was also my personal favorite) got his skull cracked, literally. *shuffles away guiltily*

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You guys have no idea how excited I am to torture (literally) my favorite characters in book 3

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite scenes in my NaNo WIP are the ones where the FMC has vision of the what the future will look like if she doesn't intervene. They tend to be pretty bleak and hopeless, but I love them because they allow for a lot more artful description than the real-time parts of the story do.

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
You guys have no idea how excited I am to torture (literally) my favorite characters in book 3

hahahahahahahahaha I just picture you sitting behind your computer, rubbing your hands together, giving your best evil laugh.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
The whole thing? Is that a cop-out? But seriously, I am so in love with my WIP.

If I had to choose ... The first romantic scene between mc and my favorite character when he's all of a sudden making a move (but he's so sweet and gentle otherwise, what?) and she realizes she has feelings. So her brain short circuits and she literally runs away like it hurts.

OR when mc and her "mentor" draw their guns on each other and have a little standoff for spoilerific reasons. OR when she kidnaps her older sister to help them get away. OR when the quiet moment between mc and mentor's kind of daughter where they pretty much hash out all the ways they hate each other and actually manage to kind of bond.

Or just the whole thing.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Naaaaahhh. My favorite scene in my first book was when the sweetest character (who was also my personal favorite) got his skull cracked, literally. *shuffles away guiltily*
bad kitty! haha

My fave scene probably doesn't appeal as much to others as it does for me. The MMC has been in love with the FMC since he was 6 and she doesn't realize it (they're seniors in high school now). She thinks he's dating some other girl, so she's been pulling away from their friendship.

In the scene, they'd just had an argument and she turns to leave. Just as she turns, he trails a finger down her sleeve. She noticed, but when she turned back to him, he doesn't say anything, just looks down.

That scene never fails to make my heart hurt for him.