"Old" People Writing for Teens V

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Spent the day presenting to English classes at a nearby high school -- partially about my book, but mostly about writing. They really seemed to enjoy the slide of a galley page covered with corrections and questions by my copyeditor! (Looked like their English papers, I'm sure.)

Not ONE kid asked, "And HOW old are you?" (They did ask how much money I'm making off the book -- but then again, I'd like to know too!)

That's really cool that you got to go into a school. We've had one or two authors visit us here, but I wish we could get people more regularly.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
How do I tell if what I'm writing now is too similar to what I wrote last? Does it even matter, considering it seems like the chances of them both getting published are very slim?

Sometimes if a book doesn't work out, the author might use a lot of similar themes, characters, even plot in another book later. For me, aPB is basically set up like my YA Trouble book, but Trouble didn't work out, so it doesn't bug me. Also, a fanbase may like an author to have some similarities between books, but others won't. How to tell? List out the similarities and decide if you think it's too much. Or see if the same betas for book 1 will read book 2, and when they're done, ask if it was a problem.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Well I guess the thing that's similar is the setting and themes (urban, used sci-fi with surreal elements and a trash fixation), but the settings aren't the same, and it seems like it would be easier if they were the same, if that makes any sense.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I get really really attached to cars. Why is his company auctioning a car? Either way, hope you get it. At least that gives you time to sort things out.

People can be such jerks!

They had three old vehicles they wanted to get off their books and rather than sell them somewhere else, thought they'd give them employees a shot. We didn't get it. Oh well. We spent the weekend car shopping and may be getting a new one tomorrow (fingers crossed! A Mini Cooper!)

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
MINI Cooper is super cool. I had thought about getting it when I was car shopping a couple of years ago. But my wife preferred a bigger car in case she saw a strayed tiger on the roadside, so we eventually got a Subaru Forrester that claimed it could go anywhere, just shy of this Toyota.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that minis cost an assload to repair, so you might want to look that up before you commit.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
They're not any more expensive than any other import, which do cost more than most cars, but they require less maintenance so the cost balances out in the end.

It was between the Mini and a Jetta--both a few years old. We don't have kids and don't plan on having any (other than possibly adopting an older kid down the road), and if we have to spend the money on a new car anyway, I told Hubs he might as well get the one he really wants (within reason, haha).

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
They're not any more expensive than any other import, which do cost more than most cars, but they require less maintenance so the cost balances out in the end.

It was between the Mini and a Jetta--both a few years old. We don't have kids and don't plan on having any (other than possibly adopting an older kid down the road), and if we have to spend the money on a new car anyway, I told Hubs he might as well get the one he really wants (within reason, haha).

I was going to say you should get a SMART like I have, but then I read the part about a maybe-kid. Fine, I won't go on. :D I have a friends with minis, and they love them.

I had worried about the repair cost thing, but other than the regular maintenance (which is a bit higher than my old car, but he (Sebastian, my car has a name) I haven't needed any repairs. Team Tiny Foreign Car.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

That was my thinking too, when I got my car. Considering I owned my last one for 12 years, I figured that getting the car I always wanted and the warranty that lasts for 10 years and covers everything but tires and brakes was worth the cost

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Sorry to hear of the accident, Becca. That stinks. Bad. Glad you weren't hurt!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Spent the day presenting to English classes at a nearby high school -- partially about my book, but mostly about writing. They really seemed to enjoy the slide of a galley page covered with corrections and questions by my copyeditor! (Looked like their English papers, I'm sure.)

Not ONE kid asked, "And HOW old are you?" (They did ask how much money I'm making off the book -- but then again, I'd like to know too!)

That's amazing! You must have had a blast. Congrats!!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
They had three old vehicles they wanted to get off their books and rather than sell them somewhere else, thought they'd give them employees a shot. We didn't get it. Oh well. We spent the weekend car shopping and may be getting a new one tomorrow (fingers crossed! A Mini Cooper!)

Ooh! That's what my partner drives. I love them! Didn't really notice them until his.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the accident, Becca. That stinks. Bad. Glad you weren't hurt!

Thanks :( it's just the annoyance factor. Like, seriously, something like that happens and you don't try to tell the owner?! Grrrrrrrr.

But some good news! My agent got back to me! She's working on line edits which she'll have ready for me when her office reopens after the holidays, and then we're going on sub in January!

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on being so close to sub, Becca! That's amazing.

Good luck on the new car, Stiger. Minis are fun.

I've been swamped between work, Christmas, and now sickness. Yay me.

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, just checking in to say happy holidays! And yay for going on sub, Becca, that's amazing!

I'm still interning at the literary agencies, and working part time. It adds up to a LOT of work. I've chatted with my supervisors at the agencies over the past week and I've nearly got enough experience to start applying for editorial assistant positions. EA positions are super competitive, but these agencies are very well-connected, so I have my fingers crossed. Thank. Goodness. I'm so happy I made this switch to publishing, but the schedule's been wearing me down, for sure. Also, having a day off in the middle of the week isn't the best in terms of coordinating plans with other people who work Mon.-Fri.

I got a partial request from an agent the other day (sent out a batch of 10 queries back in November). I would love to get some feedback, but I've mentally trunked that particular novel because it's simply too flawed and I don't know how to fix it right now. The novel I'm currently working on is a total mess, but I feel like it'll ultimately have more potential.

Anyone traveling or planning something fun for the holidays? I've got 2 days off in a row and I am PSYCHED.

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks :( it's just the annoyance factor. Like, seriously, something like that happens and you don't try to tell the owner?! Grrrrrrrr.

But some good news! My agent got back to me! She's working on line edits which she'll have ready for me when her office reopens after the holidays, and then we're going on sub in January!

Hit and runs are the worst. Yay for going on sub, though! May you sell quickly and experience minimal stress!! :D

I was going to say you should get a SMART like I have, but then I read the part about a maybe-kid. Fine, I won't go on. :D I have a friends with minis, and they love them.

I had worried about the repair cost thing, but other than the regular maintenance (which is a bit higher than my old car, but he (Sebastian, my car has a name) I haven't needed any repairs. Team Tiny Foreign Car.

Yeah the SMART was a little too small. The mini has a surprising amount of room, even in the back seat. It fit our 6'2" salesman fairly comfortably on the test drive. We ended up getting a really good deal on one that's still under factory warranty. Hubs is stoked! Still trying to pick a name. We're torn between Oliver Carwell and Alice Cooper.

Hey guys, just checking in to say happy holidays! And yay for going on sub, Becca, that's amazing!

I'm still interning at the literary agencies, and working part time. It adds up to a LOT of work. I've chatted with my supervisors at the agencies over the past week and I've nearly got enough experience to start applying for editorial assistant positions. EA positions are super competitive, but these agencies are very well-connected, so I have my fingers crossed. Thank. Goodness. I'm so happy I made this switch to publishing, but the schedule's been wearing me down, for sure. Also, having a day off in the middle of the week isn't the best in terms of coordinating plans with other people who work Mon.-Fri.

I got a partial request from an agent the other day (sent out a batch of 10 queries back in November). I would love to get some feedback, but I've mentally trunked that particular novel because it's simply too flawed and I don't know how to fix it right now. The novel I'm currently working on is a total mess, but I feel like it'll ultimately have more potential.

Anyone traveling or planning something fun for the holidays? I've got 2 days off in a row and I am PSYCHED.

So happy for you, casual! I hope you land one of the EA positions! We're visiting family this weekend and the weekend after Christmas and doing our own thing for Christmas. I have to work Christmas Eve and the day after so it makes it hard to do much.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Becca! That's fantastic news. It's such a fun stage in the journey. And we'll support you here...because it's also a nail-biting stage. (-: I hope it's a short stage for you and I wish you all the best!

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I'm finished!!! :snoopy: I still have a few small tweaks to go back and make, but I am done with my draft and so freaking relieved. It's a little longer than I thought it would be, but I think the couple tweaks will cut some. Wooo hooo!

Also, Sage, I love your avi!

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Stiger! And thanks. My friend had it up on Facebook, and I couldn't resist stealing it for here.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
My first ever teen beta reader finished FTP yesterday ... and she liked it! She said she wants to know what happens to everybody like a year later. :) She had some interesting style feedback that I want to contemplate a bit, but I'm really happy that she loved the characters and was invested enough in the story to have an overall opinion.

Congrats again on finishing your manuscript, Stiger! :D Nothing feels quite as good as knowing you've reached the end of a whole draft.

Becca, congrats on all the good news about your book!

Wampus, I hope you feel better soon! Is the baby sick too? I felt awful on Tuesday, but it must have been a 24 hour thing because I woke up better on Wednesday.

CasualR, I'm so glad the internships are going well!!

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone wanted to join in the SFF Secret Solstice swap, you have until Sunday to sign up in the SFF forum.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Becca, congrats on almost to line edits and sub! Yay! Here's to a quick round and a quick sale and a happy author & agent :)

Stiger, yay for finishing your draft. if you ever need eyes…*raises hand*

Christabelle, so excited for you and the teen beta reader. What a neat idea.

Sorry I haven't been on much. Some part time work, plus lots of reading (some good books, a lot of meh?), and I just got edits from my agent. Here's to this being the last draft. I hope, I hope. Agent says it's solid except for this stuff that can be expanded upon. To the library I go for research ;)

Sage…your avatar is so cute :D

Happy holidays all! Happy upcoming New Year! :) :)

BPhilip

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's been literally MONTHS since I've logged into here. It was a hellacious semester, but it's over and I can't wait to teach gothic literature in the winter — my workload should be a bit less crazy.

But I'm pretty happy with myself because I wrote for 5 hours straight yesterday and 5 today... I think I came up with about 23 handwritten pages in total.

It feels so nice to be back in the groove. How's everybody feeling??

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I was super inspired for my short story today, so it's been done since like 7 a.m. It was really freeing, lol.

My sis and BiL took me and my dad to the shooting range, so now I have shot not just one gun, but a handgun and a rifle. It was an experience. Maybe I can use the experience in a novel (I have several characters using guns, actually)