The viability of villain protagonists in YA?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Classical tragedy includes both circumstances he can't overcome (aka gods) or his inability to get past a fatal flaw.

Today, a tragedy is anything with a sad ending for the protagonist.

But I agree that a book with a villain MC does not necessarily have to fall into either definition of tragedy

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Anyway....I thank you for all the input. It seems that I'm getting a lot of different opinions and it really comes down to the individual reader. However, the main issue I'm having is this. I want to write from the perspective of a character who is of "the 1%" and who is, at least to some degree, spoiled and/or corrupt. With some villain protagonists, it is easier to get sympathy for them because you can just turn up the sympathy bar by making their life hell. It's easy to make somebody root for the terrorist mastermind who lived in 3rd world squalor and saw his parents gunned down by western soldiers, for example. Yeah, he targets civilians. Yeah, he murders innocents, but he lived a terrible, crappy life and a lot of his evil actions stem from the deep pain that came with his nightmarish hell of a childhood.

However, with a "1%r" type, it's a bit harder to pull that kind of thing off because there really is little you can do to give the same kind of pain that other types of villain MCs can have present in their lives. With terrorists and criminals, it's easy....they likely came from very crappy lives...but for the person born into wealth life was probably fairly easy....at least in terms of materal needs....so how in the world do you give them the same kind of "pain" that makes other kinds of villain MCs work? That, is the question I am faced with, and having issues working out. I mean...there is always the option that their parent happens to be a cruel, cold, aloof corrupt corporate executive who is abusive and the whole nine-yards, but the "evil parent" troupe seems just so overused and...well...cliche'....to the point I just don't think it can work in this day and age. It's just so trope-y that it will come off as cheesy...."Oh...look..ANOTHER evil father...where have we seen that?" Even more so in YA, when neglectful and/or outright villainous parents are the norm.

I suppose you could have had their parent(s), and/or family and/or friends killed either by a ruthless business rival or rebel/criminal/terrorist types....but the question becomes, realistically, is that "enough" pain to make readers sympathize with them as they do terrible things in the name of revenge and start grabbing power to take down their enemies? I mean, it was enough for batman, but that was because despite having the whole "dark" aesthetic he wasn't really using "villainous" means nor was his motive sheer revenge. Sure, the pain was certainly a factor, but after a while his whole crusade became about more then just avenging his parent's death. For a character who starts already flawed(But not really evil...think less of a villain and more of just a brat, at least at that point.) and grows more and more corrupt rather then less so over the course of the story....is a murdered family(and possibly friends + LI) enough "pain" to get readers to sympathize with them a bit? Or would you need to crank down the severity of their flaws at the start to make it work? Or would having the person who killed their family/friends/LI/other loved ones being a complete monster(and likely another 1%er who would be motivated by either selfish greed and/or some kind of twisted megalomanical ideal/goal.) who makes the protagonist look a lot less nasty by comparison be enough when combined with the pain to make readers root for the protagonist despite their flawed personality that only gets more flawed as time goes on? If you went that route, would you need to make their actions at least somewhat heroic later on while their personality became more selfish I.E. after they do the bad deeds needed to gain power, when they actually have said power they start using it for the "good" means of taking down the complete monster they where after? I mean, such an instance would still have them as a selfish SOB, but they'd at the least be a selfish SOB who's desire for revenge(and power, since after disposing of this complete monster they'd presumably take his stuff) was actually leaving the world a bit better off then it was before. Maybe they could even be the kind to "give back" but more out of a desire to maintain a good public image then any kind of genuine concern for the less fortunate? Perhaps a person who is selfishly motivated, but who's selfishness ends up helping more people then it hurts in the grand scheme of things?

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Kolta

Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine how some of the responses have not helped pushed this to the next stage already.

Anyway...taking a stab at this. Hope it isn't a waste.

With some villain protagonists, it is easier to get sympathy for them because you can just turn up the sympathy bar by making their life hell. It's easy to make somebody root for the terrorist mastermind who lived in 3rd world squalor and saw his parents gunned down by western soldiers, for example.

Not so easy if nobody really gives any about the character. Tragedy after tragedy will not automatically elicit sympathy from readers.

Have you made any progress with this character in terms of finding out who they really are? How do their minds operate? How do they rationalize the situation before them? How do they warp reality in order for it to suit their own worldview?

What are some of the very human qualities you can pull from their evil intentions that speak to desires we can relate to? Don't work on the assumption that some of the most corrupt thoughts are totally inaccessible to others.

Not having the restraint that others have means that your character being who they are may not be as much of a barrier as you think. You can use it to your advantage. Some might not like to think unkind thoughts about the good intentions of others (desperate to be liked, people-pleaser, doormat), even if these qualities are embarrassingly obvious, but your character may think on these freely and how they may use it for their own ends. And people may very well be able to connect with that impatience or disdain for overly-helpful types or whoever else, even if it is not something they're open about.

....is a murdered family(and possibly friends + LI) enough "pain" to get readers to sympathize with them a bit? Or would you need to crank down the severity of their flaws at the start to make it work?

I think you need to change your focus entirely and stop looking for the one guaranteed thing that will conjure up feelings of sympathy, like magic.

There isn't a pitiful enough backstory that will make a reader want to connect with them in spite of their quest for revenge and great power.

Maybe just go with it. Delve into their psyche. Get lost in their twisted logic, the world as it is through their eyes. Turn their minds inside out and expose it to us. For the all the world cares, they appear as nothing more than a spoiled brat. Is that really all there is underneath as well?

The goal shouldn't be to give readers a "oh well, he's had a bad life so that explains it" reaction. That's attempting to minimize what the character does, to not really have to deal with their actions and the consequences of it. It's trying to have a special reason to point to constantly and say, well this is why this happened. They're damaged.

They would not see themselves as terrible. They do not feel they have to excuse their actions, and you should not have to write one for them either.

Maybe they could even be the kind to "give back" but more out of a desire to maintain a good public image then any kind of genuine concern for the less fortunate?

Unintentional acts of kindness won't do anything to put them in a softer light.

Although,

Such acts could be a springboard for glimpses into how carefully your villain crafts and maintains their image. Every perfectly timed smile to the crowd, hitting all the right notes in a speech for some cause.

That might in turn lead to us being able to see some all too human cracks here and there in the highly-polished surface.

It may feel cliché, writing a two-faced bastard, but the right kind of language and imagery can evoke an all too vivid picture of what it looks like when a human being pushes themselves to their extreme limits, someone who exerts every ounce of their energy into playing the part of someone they absolutely hate, of someone everyone else wants to get to know better. And all of that strain only a small part of something so much more complex.

How badly does your character want it? What do they risk losing? The reader can be there with them in the moment, on tenterhooks, if the scene could be crafted just so.

Some may still not be into it. Some may want to stay for the completely mind-boggling determination and amazing endurance.

And this isn't to mention all the other qualities that you've not yet explored. Maybe once they've all been pieced together, you'll have someone, however selfish, readers will want to care for because of the life that's been breathed into them.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Give your character a moral code. Put him up against people who are even worse than he is. Make him charismatic, charming, smart. Your readers might not like him but they'll tolerate him.

Or if you're convinced that such a character will be by definition unsympathetic, you could have a narrator/sidekick who's more likable yet completely devoted to the 1%er.

Last edited:

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
@Kolta: What your talking about isn't making a sympathetic character. What your talking about is making a relatable character. There actually is a difference, even if it's a tad subtle. A relatable character is one you can understand. A sympathetic character is one you like and want to root for. All sympathetic characters by definition must be relatable, but you can have a character who is very relatable yet unsympathetic to the point some readers will still throw down the book in disgust over their actions. I mean, we all can -relate- to characters that have darker, more selfish motives. I mean, who hasn't just wanted to punch somebody they hated, or had fantasies of "If I was the boss/teacher/authority figure instead of that jerk.." We all know the tempations of vice, wealth and power. However, just because we can UNDERSTAND those temptations and feelings doesn't mean we're going to like characters who act on them any better.

I mean, take for example the World Nobles from the manga one peice...we can understand why they do what they do. We all know from our own world that people just act differently when they are given that much wealth and power. Heck, we may have even experenced such feelings ourselves; we may hate to admit it, but I'm sure most of us here has had at least one time when we saw a seemingly able-bodied homeless person and could not help but scoff in our minds, thinking something like "That guy chose his lifestyle/is there because of his/her own mistakes, and should really get a job instead of begging out on the street" There's all been times when we've been arrogant or had feelings of "I'm better then that person.." However, just because we UNDERSTAND those feelings doesn't make us like them, or people that are unafraid to be vocal with them and act on them. The World Nobles are people we can understand, but we still hate them and want to see them fall all the same. No amount of relatability will make them any more likable; they will always be complete monsters, and you'd be hard pressed to find any one peice reader who would actively root for the world government over the pirates and resistance. Relatability may be a needed attribute for sympathy, but it should not be confused for sympathy; they are two different things, and you can have relatability without any sympathy. Simply put; readers will not root for the character you described. They will, at beast, follow them either because they want to see them go down in flames or because they have a morbid fascination with them in the same vein as a "serial killer groupie" or historian who devotes the bulk of their research to Adolf Hitler and/or the Nazis, and the latter would be a very small minority.

@Samsonet: I suppose, but then won't that make them even more unsympathetic then if they had some kind of self-righteous justification? At least somebody, like say, Light Yagami had a "good reason" for what he did, even if it ended up becoming delusional and megalomanical by the end of things. I mean...yeah, you could argue that it's harder to empathize with somebody who has a deluded, self-righteous ideal that they do evil things in the name of because no "sane" and thus relatable person would consider such actions "just/right".... but at the same time, wouldn't such a character be more sympathetic then the kind you mention in the long run because they really do mean well even if their means are pretty awful? I mean, the character you describe is basically just a selfish **** who does bad things because they can(or at least believe they can) get away with them. They don't have any kind of good, or even relateable reason. The character you described seems even less sympathetic then the guy who has deluded himself into thinking what he's doing is right because there is nothing redeeming about him. The deluded megalomanic who believes the ends justifies the means is at least somewhat redeemable in that his ends are something we can understand and appreciate. The character you mentioned may not think that bad things are right, but at the same time the fact they do them anyway makes them even more unsympathetic and unrelatable then the guy who sees what their doing as right...they are irredeemably bad..Essentially they are that cartoon supervillain who makes his minions call him "your evilness" and delights in kicking puppies...they literally have no reason beyond "because I can/for the lulz"....which makes them a caricature, not a character.

However, I may have totally misconstrued what you where describing. If I did, please politely let me know and maybe explain what you where getting at a bit better...

However, all of this discussion leads me to believe it is pretty much impossible to make this kind of protagonist sympathetic in any shape or form to all but a small minority of people. So, I guess the question now becomes whether or not sympathy is needed for a character to be successful? As discussed here, it is possible to have a 3-dimensional, and even relatable character who is totally unsympathetic. So, the million dollar question is how do you craft a protagonist that readers will still want to follow that is also unsympathetic as all heck? What qualities do such characters have that make readers want to follow their stories despite the fact they likely dislike them as people? What qualites would be needed for people to not only put up with, but enjoy and possibly even root for a main character who is unsympathetic?

Last edited:

Kolta

Registered
Reaction score
@Kolta: What your talking about isn't making a sympathetic character. What your talking about is making a relatable character. There actually is a difference, even if it's a tad subtle.

I'm aware. For some readers, the two can overlap.

So, the million dollar question is how do you craft a protagonist that readers will still want to follow that is also unsympathetic as all heck? What qualities do such characters have that make readers want to follow their stories despite the fact they likely dislike them as people? What qualites would be needed for people to not only put up with, but enjoy and possibly even root for a main character who is unsympathetic?

facepalm

Read this thread's posts. Not just your own.

That is all.

RDArmstrong

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe because villains are hard to relate to. Not many young people are strongly aware of their faults and how they might be inflicting pain on others.

I find villains can be interesting if they are misunderstood or there is a clear understanding of how they came to be that way.

RDArmstrong

Registered
Reaction score
Well it can work and has worked in the past. I'm sure you could bring it to YA. I'd suggest first person narrative.

If they want power for the sake of power then make them shallow. A great example of this is "American Psycho". The character was enjoyable because he was larger than life and exaggerated as shallow.

Some characters work because the reader loves to hate them.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I was responding to something I thought Kolta had said. Rereading it later it turns out they didn't say that -- so I edited the post.

All the same, though, I find characters who know what they're doing is wrong but don't care to be more sympathetic than people who think they're in the right. Probably a personal thing -- intellectually I can understand that people will rationalize themselves and all, but I keep thinking that there's no way someone could do what they're doing and not think maybe, maybe they're the bad guy here.

Whereas a character who knows they're the bad guy and acts accordingly can be sympathetic not because they deserve it, but because they're just that cool. Professor Moriarty is horrible through and through but we still love him anyway.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like this is a character you want to write. So do so.

Then try and sell him. It sounds to me that it will be difficult (you're not giving us any reason to want to care about this person). But if you're determined that this is your character and your voice, does that matter?

We can't tell you whether a hypothetical character with, apparently, no redeeming characteristics in your eyes will be readable. Write it first, and we will be able to tell you more. Perhaps we'll find stuff to love about him that you don't even see.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with Samsonet that a villain doesn't always have to think he's a hero. I'm totally fine reading (or writing) villains who know that they're on the wrong side of the law, history, and even "good." Just because they know that they're on the "bad" side of the scale between good or evil doesn't mean they can't have goals that a reader can relate to.

And now, for a slight shift in the conversation, you also can have characters who are always making choices for the sake of what they believe is right, even though they are always the choices that make them darker and darker to the point where if the character at the beginning saw what they became, they'd be convinced their future self was a villain. I think mainly of Harry Dresden, who was predicted to die doing the right thing in book 3 and continued digging himself in so many holes in the pursuit of more power--always for the "right" reason--that hardly anyone truly believes he's not a step away from becoming a villain. The thing that's appealing about that is that you really can't see him making any better choices and succeeding, but you also see how dangerous it is and how villainous it appears to anyone who wasn't there (and even some who were).

Last edited:

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give you an update on how things are going with this issue. First of all, I've decided to take a few writing classes offered by a local writer's center for no other reason then to force myself to actually start writing this thing in spite of my immense fear. The classes don't start until the new year, but in the interm I've been exploring all my stories and characters more and I think twick's statement couln't be more true.

I've been thinking that perhaps this character, while still a villain through and through, is not as totally unsympathetic as I thought when viewed through the eyes of somebody that isn't me. You see, after re-reading this thread and some others I posted again and looking at this character more I realized the reason I am having trouble seeing how I can make them "sympathetic" is because I am looking at them with my own bias and views.

I have very anti-elite, anti-big business political sentiments IRL. As a result of this, in MY EYES the type of character I am discussing is inherently unlikable, unsympathetic and irredeemable. However, I also realized from Twick's comment and other posts on here that I am not the average YA reader. The vast bulk of YA readers probably don't care nearly as much about politics as me or have nearly as dismal a view of big business and "the 1%." While I remember my teenage years being filled with radical politics and other teens who where political radicals, that doesn't necessarily mean that the majority of teens where like me and my staunchly liberal friends back in our HS years. While being a super-rich spoiled brat may make a character immediately unsympathetic and thus fit only for the role of "villain" when viewed with my own political biases, that doesn't necessarily mean those qualities will make such a character totally unsympathetic to the average YA reader.....and this is something I should have realized a long time ago.

Part of writing, IMO, is being able to see the world from perspectives that are distinctly not your own, and as a result I've realized I've had so much trouble getting a grasp on what can make this character "likable" or "sympathetic" because I've been viewing and judging them from my own perspective, colored by my own biases and beliefs.

So, now, as I go through my story ideas and decide what I want to write, I've decided to try looking at this character again but not through my own eyes. I think trying to see them through the viewpoint of somebody not nearly as politically radical as me may help me see parts of them that my own biases blind me to otherwise. Who knows, maybe after looking at them through less bias eyes I may find out they weren't nearly as evil as I thought and then can end up actually being something of a hero despite their selfish, hedonistic, arrogant, spoiled brat side. Or at the least I'll find that while still a villain, they aren't all bad and are more then just the cartoon sterotype or political strawman of the "evil 1%er."

So that's where I am now. As I engage in this process I'll let you all know what I find out about this character as I, for once, actually get to know them as a person instead of a sterotype.

Last edited:

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Nogetsune, and thank you for starting this thread! :)

Personally, I've always found villains and antiheroes kind of fascinating, especially when well developed and with believable or relatable backstories.

But I've also been curious as to whether something like that would be appealing enough within YA--from all the comments on this thread, it would appear opinions and tastes vary far and wide, which I guess is a good thing.

The problem I'm having, is that in the new story that's been kicking around in my head, my antagonist and the LI somehow ended up being WAY more interesting than the intended protagonist. :Shrug:

I've had a few false starts as I try to write the actual MS, and I've been struggling like hell to find what feels right for the story. All along, I've been trying to do a close 3rd or 1st person POV, from the protagonist's perspective, all because I've been shying away from focusing too much on the antagonist, even though she keeps beckoning. Yesterday, I scrapped all that soulless drivel (that's what it felt like) and started to write the damn thing in 1st person, from the antagonist's perspective.

And suddenly, it's working.

So, I've decided to give it a try and write the whole thing from her perspective (or at least the first half--haven't decided that yet), even though this might make it a bit of [or quite] a hard sale.

The thing is, I've been in denial about it, but it is the antagonist's story. Proof is that, trying to make it anyone else's was just not working and making me frustrated and angry and wishing that I could be passionate about macrame instead of stupid writing.

I do worry about how appealing or unappealing this will make the novel, because this antiheroine of mine really has done and does some horrible things. But I just can't fight this anymore: it's her story. Denying it was getting me nowhere.

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
It's funny you should mention that because that's the whole reason I started this thread. That same situation didn't happen to me once, but repeatedly, with every idea I ever come up with. The difference between you and I is that you had the courage to write the story from the antagonist's view despite the fact you know it will be a hard sell while I let that fear take over and stop me from writing anything.

However, let it be known that I now find I have a particularly long and difficult road ahead because the character I've been talking about in this thread was created specifically to be a 2-dimensional complete monster in the original story they where from. In the original plan I had for them, where they where the villain instead of the protagonist they where created to be more of a symbol then a full character; they where purposely made to be absolutely disgusting in every way possible so they could function as a powerful image of the decadence, selfishness and corruption present among our world's elite. They where meant to be a picture of out of control privilege and nothing deeper then that.

However, despite the fact they where created to be a 2-dimensional symbol in the same vein as, say, Saruon, I was for some reason drawn to them. I have no idea why, mind you, but something just made them far, far more interesting to me then any of the other characters, including the MAIN villain who was a much more fleshed out power-seeker who was going to eventually usurp this character and become the big bad in the second half of the plot. I think, at least initially, the draw to this character was that while they where totally disgusting they had style. They where vile to the core yes, but they always acted with a lot of humor and eccentricity and at times could even be somewhat adorable. Compared to many of the other characters in the plot who had much more serious demeanors, this character was just was fun. Deep? No. 3-dimensional? Nope....but out of all the cast, they where just the most entertaining for me.

Admittedly, to make them a protagonist would require not just re-writing the old plot, but scrapping it entirely. Mainly because in the old narrative this character's role in the plot and special powers made it pretty much impossible to have them as a protagonist. In the old plot, she happened to be the owner of a sinister artificial plane/research facility and spent the entire story sadistically watching all of the horrors she put her numerous victims through, sometimes even speaking to them directly via video feed to torment them further. Of course, at the same time she was plotting to seize control of every reality that existed. She also was, for all intents and purposes, a sort of reality warper, so needless to say it would be impossible to tell THAT story with her as the protagonist, considering that she was designed to be this irredeemably evil, 2-dimensional symbol of corruption and her role in the plot was built accordingly.

To do any story centered around her would require not only a brand new plot, but also an expanding, or rather deepening of her character. She can of course keep that "style" that drew me to her, but if I'm going to make her protagonist material I'm going to have to deepen her character beyond being simply a selfish spoiled brat who's gone out of control with money and power. I mean, yes, she can still be all those things...but that can't be her entire character....and that's the job I have now: making this girl of mine into a character rather then a symbol.....I have to find out who she really is rather then end her character at being a symbol of upper class corruption and out-of-control privilege that does the job with style.

...and that, I suppose, is one of the most important and enjoyable parts of writing....getting to know these people your going to write about at a very deep level and see things through there eyes. Seeing the world from a perspective alien to your own is hard work, but can be quite rewarding...and who knows, maybe all of this will help me hate the rich less in real life.

Also...yes, for all those wondering, I'm going to actually try and write this thing, now. As I stated I'm taking writing classes starting with the new year in an effort to force myself to actually write. Once I get something I'm not totally ashamed to share outside of class I may actually post it here. Or I may quietly try and go get it published and surprise you all. You will not know...at least for now.

Last edited:

Nogetsune

Registered
Reaction score
Teen villains in YA... Your personal thoughts/experiences?

As the title says. I've recently begun slowly writing a new story with dual protagonists about a death game played between one teen who develops into an anti-hero and another who becomes an outright villain protagonist. I'm having a blast with both of them, but especially enjoy the totally villainous one. While I know most people will relate to and probably favor the other protagonist (which is one of many reasons his pov is present) I absolutely love the style, silliness, trollish behavior and fun voice my teen villain has. I enjoy spending time with them precisely because they mix teenage immaturity, silliness, boldness and snark with competent and intelligent villainy.

I don't know why, but for some reason I find the immature nature of teen villains to be entertaining and compelling, and I'd love to see more of them in YA. However, sadly, I know of few YA stories that feature a teen as the big bad. While there may be plenty of teen baddies, they usually are nothing more then simple bullies or minions of an adult villain. While I understand the parallel to the clashes with adult authority that teens experience and how it can sell well to the market, I am curious to know if any if you have the same love for younger baddies that I do?

If so, do you have any teen villains from YA that your particularly fond of? Any good titles where the big bad is a teen? Do you like the idea of a teenage big bad, or is it too inherently unrealistic for your tastes? Do you prefer your teen villains as protagonists with antagonists always being adults or do you, like me, want to see more evil teens as both protagonists and main antagonists?

Posy all your general thoughts/ideas/praise/criticism of YA's evil teens here!

Last edited:

that redhead

Registered
Reaction score
I write contemporary YA. In my little corner of the world, the antagonists aren't so much evil incarnate as just folks with attitudes, hopes and dreams that clash with my protag's. That said, I loved reading about Voldemort as a teenager, and I'd love to see Loki as a teen. I've also read Sherlock fan fic that has Moriarty as a teen, and I liked it as well. Oh, and I'm a Doctor Who freak who loves the Daleks and the Master.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
What kind of villain are we talking about? A mustache twirler or just someone whose goals happen to conflict with the MC/the world at large? The latter kind I should think wouldn't be that tough of a sell. A mustache twirling teen villain might be a bit more difficult. And I don't see any problem with the fact that they are a teen. Plenty of contemps with villains have teens as the culprit.

LSMay

Registered
Reaction score
My main series is heavily focused on good and evil. Initially my protagonist was cruel and liked being evil, but betas suggested toning her down. She has a few more redeeming qualities than she used to, but there's definitely still a good case for calling her the villain.

In my own writing, I always end up liking my teen villains more than my teen heroes.

I'm struggling to think of any who I've really liked in others' writing. Sarah Rees Brennan has an interesting one in The Demon's Lexicon, where, without too many spoilers, her protag seems as if he should be the villain in many ways, but still fights on the right side.

I think what I'm really drawn to with villains, teen and otherwise, is that they're inherently more complicated. You don't really need a reason to take the acceptable 'good' side, but examining and uncovering reasons to take the 'evil' side is fascinating.

m.f.alira

Registered
Reaction score
In all honesty I would love to see a book with the villain as the MC. I don't want there to be a reason that they're evil. They're evil because they see the world a certain way, they justify it to themselves to paint them in a good light.
The only problem is that you need to have people sympathise, root for your MC, which they won't do for a villain. My suggestion write the story, it could be so compelling people find themselves loving the villain wanting them to succeed in their dark plans.