All Things Middle Grade

melanieconklin

Registered
Reaction score
I think middle grade is pretty universal in publishing. However, I realized recently that when I say "I write middle grade," to other humans, they think I mean something very different. As in, not "high" or "low" grade, but middle...Ie: not that great. LOL! So, now I tell people that I write "for readers 8-12, in middle school grades," and that seems to get the point across pretty well. Then they also perk up if they have kids that age. :)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Hi folks. Here's a bit of an odd request. I have a librarian/teacher looking for this:

A middle school student is interested in an alternate history-science fiction novel, set during the Cold War, focusing primarily around what would have happened if the Cuban Missile Crisis had not been averted.

That Cuban Missile Crisis thing is pretty specific. Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions? Please and thank you!

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, it sounds really familiar to me. It's possible I read about a book like that when looking into alternate history kid's books, but I can't place a title. It makes me think such a book does exist, though! Sorry, I can't be more help.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Wow, it's been a while - I barely recognize anyone here! I feel old...

Anyways, been super-busy with a brand spanking new job! Woohoo!

Oh, also been writing a little thing I call "Starlancer: Escape From Hades IV"... it's like Firefly/Guardians of the Galaxy, but for MG :D

And I've also been getting into horror, mostly short stories. If you're not squeamish, I'd love to know what you think of my first stab at it for over 11 years (link below)

How is everyone? Any big news in the publishing world?

Dave

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Wow, it's been a while - I barely recognize anyone here! I feel old...

Anyways, been super-busy with a brand spanking new job! Woohoo!

Oh, also been writing a little thing I call "Starlancer: Escape From Hades IV"... it's like Firefly/Guardians of the Galaxy, but for MG :D

And I've also been getting into horror, mostly short stories. If you're not squeamish, I'd love to know what you think of my first stab at it for over 11 years (link below)

How is everyone? Any big news in the publishing world?

Dave

Yep, things are a changing in MG land. There's the seasonal slowness with all the teachers back to work, plus I think a few of the old timers have moved on.

A few AW'ers have booking coming out if you have a chance check out the last couple pages of the bouncy castle.

BTW: Your new WIP sounds Spot on, and really exciting!

Jonathan S.

Registered
Reaction score
First blog post, requesting love

Hi all!

So, I'm an aspiring MG author and just published my first post (ever) on a group blog (about writing) I recently joined, where I am essentially the MG genre rep. Anyway, the post is about how I chose MG as a genre and I thought you all might like to read/comment. Right now I'm getting crickets, so would love some, well... love.

Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.atbwriters.blogspot.com/

Also, please accept my sincere apologies if this is not the right place to post this. I just thought, rather than posting in some kind of self-promotion thread, I'd put this out to my MG peeps.

Thanks!

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Yep, things are a changing in MG land. There's the seasonal slowness with all the teachers back to work, plus I think a few of the old timers have moved on.

A few AW'ers have booking coming out if you have a chance check out the last couple pages of the bouncy castle.

BTW: Your new WIP sounds Spot on, and really exciting!

Thanks MJ! I'm thinking of putting the first chapter today, maybe gauge a reaction. I'm pretty far into it, so wouldn't be worrying about every little edit. THEY can wait til next draft.

Also! My short story I added to the Horror SYW is now up on the Chilling Tales For Dark Nights October contest Reddit! I'd appreciate a read and hopefully a vote?

http://www.reddit.com/r/ctfdn/comments/2kv3xh/mr_stuffenfluff_by_david_brettandrews_ctfdn/

Cheers!

Dave

SSGriner

Author of The Cemetery Sleeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangriner.com
Middle Grade Writer Too

Nice to hear from another middle grade author. I have my first indie book out and I'm spending lots of time doing dreary marketing and very little time writing. My book is a ghost story about a boy who sleepwalks to a nearby cemetery. I'm starting to do author talks at nearby schools which I enjoy way more than the impersonal online marketing. I enjoyed your blog and am glad there are supporters out there.

mazblondie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello from another MG writer, have my first two books in my series written and I am currently at 30k on the third, am also revising and 'fluffing up' the first one to get it ready for submissions. Already have a couple of YA on Amazon but I am really loving the MG age bracket.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I've been busy with NaNo and other stuff, so a late welcome to our new Kidlit Gang members.

Jonathan S. said:
So, I'm an aspiring MG author and just published my first post (ever) on a group blog (about writing) I recently joined, where I am essentially the MG genre rep. ...

Congratulations on your blog post! Looks like you ended up with lots of comments.

SSGriner said:
I have my first indie book out and I'm spending lots of time doing dreary marketing and very little time writing. My book is a ghost story about a boy who sleepwalks to a nearby cemetery.

Congratulations on your indie book. The premise sounds really good. There are ghosts in my WIP, too, so I'm a sucker for a good MG ghost story.

mazblondie said:
Hello from another MG writer, have my first two books in my series written and I am currently at 30k on the third, am also revising and 'fluffing up' the first one to get it ready for submissions. Already have a couple of YA on Amazon but I am really loving the MG age bracket.

Good luck getting your current MS ready for submission. Are you going to be querying agents or submitting directly to publishers?

mazblondie

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Heza,

To be honest I did sent out the manuscript for the first,and it wasn't ready. (so excited it was done didn't think it might actually be crap) I have just spent the last two weeks revising, and I am now looking for a few beta readers, I know it still needs some work so will probably hold off till after christmas.

Also only found this site a few weeks back, and it would seem I had been sending the MS out to some pretty dodgy vanity publishers. Reading back it surprises me how terrible it was, and yet i was offered 3 reps with these companies, If I paid them of course.

Anyway I am sure it will all work its self out , she says crossing everything :D

Last edited:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
H
Also only found this site a few weeks back, and it would seem I had been sending the MS out to some pretty dodgy vanity publishers. Reading back it surprises me how terrible it was, and yet i was offered 3 reps with these companies, If I paid them of course.

Bullet dodged! Feel good about that. When seeking publication through the trade route, aim high. Don't start with publishers you've never heard of, start with the ones EVERYONE has heard of.

Good luck! I hope we'll hear more about your journey.
http://www.absolutewrite.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

mazblondie

Registered
Reaction score

heza

Registered
Reaction score
VERY much bullet dodged!! And I am just glad I found this site BEFORE I signed up for anything :)

That's great! Whew, huh?

I wouldn't feel too badly about it. I think a certain amount of naivete is normal when you're first starting to dip a toe into the publishing industry.

I have been a "writer" for some 20-odd years, but it's only in the last four to five that I finally figured out there was... well, all this. I had a story idea, I thought I could write competently, and I figured I'd just write it up, send it off to Penguin, be published within a few months, and make a million dollars.

And then I also found some vanity publishers and randomly decided to look up reviews on one of them, and that's how I found AW. And oh. my. god. the world it opened up for me. I realized not only was my writing not publishable (yet), but my idea was also completely derivative and not very practical. I hadn't know anything about how the industry worked--that there were agents, that you had to query, that agents had to sub, that there would be so many revisions. I feel lot better armed now.

I think when I was in that beginning stage, vanity publishers looked legit. I mean, I was so used to smart phones and one-click ordering on Amazon and being able to order a pizza online without talking to anyone.... it just didn't seem weird that getting a book published was described as being just as effortless, you know? Now I know better, now I have realistic expectations. Now I'm a better writer.

mazblondie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm relieved by it all to be honest.

Like you I thought writing a book was easy, and to be fair the actually writing of the book is easy, but everything that goes with it is not so easy.

As I have mentioned(cant remember if it was on this thread or not) I have 3 books on amazon, all 5 star reviews, which is great, but the physical getting your name out when you have neither a publisher nor a huge online presence (although I am trying to get my name out there now) For me I think it is the reason so many good books slip through the net. I have read some great indie books, unpublished the traditional way and with hardly anyone noticing them, and read books that are trad published that I have wondered why. This industry is not only hard, but weird.

So my third revise is under way on my childrens MG book, and I think by about revise 50 it might be ready ;) Although I think I will personally be sick of seeing my MC!!

This site was mentioned by a lady on facebook and I had never heard of it, and even though I dont post much, I lurk and read all different threads. And I have learned so much in a very short space of time. Thanks for the chat and I look forward to following your journey also :)

Guy Smiley

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. This seems like a place for an introductary post so here goes...

My name is Mike, I write MG. I have completed two short (by design) manuscripts (approx 35K) one is horror with humor (a la RL Stine) and the other is a character driven adventure with humor. I'm well into a third book that will be much longer. I've been a professional writer in one capacity or another for 20 years most recently working in the entertainment field - I adapated an RL stine book for Disney Channel last year, which was an incredibly fun experience (until they decided not to make it!)

Anyway, i've been writing and writing and haven't made much effort to connect with other writers and readers and want to begin the process of meeting people and exchanging work and participating in the community so I can get better and help my fellow writers get better. I've had an account here forever but haven't used it until now. So, hi!

playground

Registered
Reaction score

My name is Mike, I write MG. I have completed two short (by design) manuscripts (approx 35K) one is horror with humor (a la RL Stine) and the other is a character driven adventure with humor. I'm well into a third book that will be much longer. I've been a professional writer in one capacity or another for 20 years most recently working in the entertainment field - I adapated an RL stine book for Disney Channel last year, which was an incredibly fun experience (until they decided not to make it!)

Anyway, i've been writing and writing and haven't made much effort to connect with other writers and readers and want to begin the process of meeting people and exchanging work and participating in the community so I can get better and help my fellow writers get better. I've had an account here forever but haven't used it until now. So, hi!

Guy, nice to meet you! Are you interested in chance in swapping works for editing one another by chance? Thought I'd ask lol.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I've been a professional writer in one capacity or another for 20 years most recently working in the entertainment field - I adapated an RL stine book for Disney Channel last year, which was an incredibly fun experience (until they decided not to make it!)

(Ah, bummer!) That's really cool, though.

Welcome aboard!

Guy Smiley

Registered
Reaction score
Guy, nice to meet you! Are you interested in chance in swapping works for editing one another by chance? Thought I'd ask lol.

I would love to trade reads for macro notes but I don't think I'm ready to edit anybody.

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score

Nice to meet you, Guy!