Status
Not open for further replies.

jy'lenn

Chaos is a friend of mine.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jfposthumus.blogspot.com
Okay, could someone please shoot me, slap me, or knock me unconscious or SOMETHING?!?!?!????

Here's my problem: I got the offer from Musa while Marisa Corviserio (sp?) and another agent had the mss. Told them, and Marisa offered to rep us. Since DAW Books still had the query (hey, I can be wishful!), she sends them an email asking for info. Marisa emails the same address that *I* sent the query to (yeah, didn't think she'd get a response from THAT account...).

*I* call DAW Books and get told they haven't gotten to it, they didn't want to hold me back, and to sign with the other publisher. Soooooo, we send her an email saying DAW Books passed and we don't need an agent for Musa, so we're passing on her offer.

Now, we haven't signed a DAMN thing with Marisa. Today, I get an email stating first "Best of Luck!" Okay, so she's taking the pass nicely. Yay! THEN I get an email saying she GOT A REQUEST FOR THE FULL MANUSCRIPT FROM DAW!

I emailed Celina (at Musa) letting her know we got that email from Marisa. So, I have no flipping clue what to do because we signed the contract for MUSA thinking DAW wasn't interested!

The contract is for all ebook types and trade paperback. Musa doesn't have the distribution for print.

Can I just say this SUCKS????? I don't know what the heck to do other than inform Musa (aka Celina) and find out from Marisa that the request was, actually, for OUR novel. And yes, I'm fully aware that just because they want to see the full thing, that doesn't mean they'll make an offer.

I also want to admit I queried Marisa (yes, the LitPowerhouse Marisa) out of a lark and a "what the hell?" thought.

so, someone PLEASE bash me over the head and tell me this is all a dream and when I wake up, I won't have Marisa talking with one of the BIG SIX who wants to see our full mss????

Either that or come up with a solution that will get us published through DAW Books and not be screwed over?

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Amarie, that's a good idea in theory (I do get two weeks of paid vacation). I can also call in sick three times for up to three days each time. The only problem here is that if my average of hours worked drops under 34 hours a week for a three-month period, they'll also make me step down to PT.

ETA: Okay, I actually called my HR rep back and apparently as long as I just use my paid vacation time, it doesn't affect my average hours worked, so this might actually help a lot.

Sorry for the rambling, everyone, I'm just honestly to the point that I'm so stressed about all that's coming up in this last year of school that I'm about ready to throw it all, just because I'm so burned out, scholarships or no. It seems like I try and try and try, but it's almost like I'm not meant to succeed, no matter how hard I am on myself, how allegedly smart I am. Anyway, whiting this out now, since it's nothing to do with any kind of book talk other than the fact that well, I'm not. Writing that is. Someone should probably come by and take my Writer Card.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dys, I'm just thinking out loud here. Is your employer the only store where work gets done overnight? Are there 24-hour groceries, drugstores, restaurant suppliers? Janitorial services for large office buildings? Places which stock overnight even though it's not open to the public? Because I'm wondering if it might be time to bid your present employer a not-all-that-fond adieu.

I don't know how much you earn, but knowing who your employer is, I bet it's not much. Since you've been there quite some time and can no doubt get good recommendations, maybe the smart thing is also the hard thing, look for something better.

Maryn, wishing she could help

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
jy'lenn, I'm not a lawyer, but if you've already signed the contract with musa, unless there's some sort of clause about how to get out of it, I don't think there is much you can do.

And with the way things are in the industry, pulling out of Musa just on a possibility of something with another company is a huge gamble.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
jy'lenn, you've signed a contract. did it have provisions for breach of contract? Did it have a short period for either side to back out (like a car loan or a mortgage has)?

Either way, this is something to get legal advice on. You might try to email Victoria Strauss at Writer Beware for her advice.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
jy'lenn, that's horrific! It sounds like DAW's own slowness is behind the whole mess. But a signed contract is legally binding, unless Musa wants out for some reason. So I think your hands are tied.

And the Maryn Bar is open, no tipping allowed.

Maryn, with a hug

jy'lenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jfposthumus.blogspot.com
I can't remember, but I figured I'd let Celina know what was going on. I don't know if she and DAW Books could possibly share rights or what, but I'm not backing out on a "maybe". If it was an out-right offer, THEN I'd be looking for a way out, lol.

Thanks for the tip, Calla! Right now, I'm waiting for BOTH women to reply. I figure if anything, Celina will have a decent, honest reply as to what she wants to do.

Either way, I wanted to go somewhere where I could get a little advice and have a place to talk about it. :)

I'll keep everyone updated, though!!!

Thanks, everyone!!!! :)

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Nope, changing jobs isn't an option. I'm sorry, again, this is ridiculously personal, but sure, I could live on it if they bumped me down to PT, but I couldn't live and pay off my student loans once I'm done with school, which I would have to rely on since there is no guarantee that I will find a teaching job once I'm done.

I'll have to make this work and if it kills me, because there literally isn't a fallback. My parents live halfway around the globe and I'm getting zero support from them, in fact, they just told me last week that they won't be able to do anything. So, I honestly can't afford to fuck this up. This is it. Sink or swim.

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Yeah, dammit about nails it.

Sorry guys to bog you down with this. I've had the Bad Week of Bad Weeks and currently feeling very stomped on. WD is getting me to drive me to some place that will hopefully put something into my coffee and we'll try to glue the pieces back together. I hope they make glue for this kind of stuff.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Dys))) As someone who was in your spot a few years ago, I can say this...it all works out. Yeah, I know that sounds trite. But, use your vacation days, or bump down to part time. Make your life as manageable as possible. Little sleep and lots of stress is not manageable.

I had to live off credit cards for a year while finishing my grad degree - I don't recommend this, but desperate times - and thought I'd never get out of the hole.

I ended up moving to Japan to teach ESL, because I couldn't find a job even after my Masters degree. Then the company I worked for - the biggest ESL school at the time - went bankrupt. I was stuck in Japan with no money, no job, and debt. Know what I did? I tutored privately, threw up my hands and said screw it. Then, I traveled around Japan. By the end of the trip, I came home with a new attitude.

I found a high paying job, paid off all of my debt in one year - the same amount of time it took me to accumulate it - and now, I'm 28, debt-free except for the mortgage on my apartment. Yes, I own property too. So, things can change quickly. Don't despair. It will work out. *hugs*

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Dys))) I wish I had some more advice, but I've got nothing beyond what's already been said. Well, actually, not entirely true. Could you offer up services as a private tutor - teaching German or writing - to help out if you got bumped to PT? That's my only other thought. You will get through this.

jy'lenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jfposthumus.blogspot.com
Still nothing from Celina (dang it) and the assistant editor at Penguin said that the mss has to be totally available before they'll even LOOK at it. Not surprising.

I'm trying to look at it as "a bird in hand, is worth two in the bush" but dang it, it's hard to do! They actually were interested in reading the whole thing.

so, I'm gonna go cry and kick myself a little more for being so impatient. :( And pray really really REALLY hard that Celina will give us an out. (yeah, I know, impossible, but gotta hope, right?)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Snappy, that is an awesome story. *virtual high five*

Awww. Thanks. *hugs* and *high fives*

Dys, I hope it helps. Someday I'll share what came before all that. ;)

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Tas, I just saw your signing photos on FB and you look FANTASTIC. Congratulations!!!

Thanks! Those are all the pics that Caleb took, I still haven't gotten the ones off hubby's camera yet. (Caleb is a photography ninja, 'cause some of those I never caught him taking)

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Tas, I just saw your signing photos on FB and you look FANTASTIC. Congratulations!!!

+1!!

*tacklehugs blondie*

I'm sorry your vacay is over, and it looks like you had a blast, but damn, I missed you! :D

Going to finish up my revisions. Here's my funneh for the day: The rough draft of this book was 153,000 words. Yes, you read that right. And I'm currently clocking at 82K, may get to 83 in the polish, and worrying that it's too short now. Ha!

Dys, hugs, sweetie. What snappy said. I know it's hard when you're in the middle of it, but you'll get through it. Take care of you.

I gave in and went to the doctor. Have anti inflammatories, muscle relaxers, and vicodin. Sigh. Good news: she said "I must say your spine is in excellent shape -- these x rays are great!" Yay. So it's only my muscles that are stupid. :/

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Jy, I think you need to calm down and count your blessings. After all, what is it you want Celina to do? You signed a contract for e-rights and trade paperback rights. Do you think she'll let someone else publish a hardcover or something? She won't. And I assume you don't want her to tear up the contract.

You have a publishing contract, lady. Enjoy it!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
LEANAN! Great to see you!

{{{KTaylor}}}

Lily, so glad to hear the mousie stuff is working!

Trying to get three chapters in decent shape. Writing is hard.

I read this as "trying to get three CHILDREN in shape." Heh.

Dys, sooooo sorry for all the stress you're going through. It sucks. And the lack of sleep makes it hard to keep a positive perspective. You're doing such amazing things though -- never doubt that!

I got nominated for this thingie...

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Snappy, I love your story. You'll have to tell me the details some time, okay? :)

Okay, I'm back from some serious breakfast food and talking stuff through with WD and some other people and in a much better head space now. The kinds that involves planning and more perspective on things.

I honestly pretty much blew some sort of brain gasket earlier. Full blown panic attack. I don't recommend them, they're scary and I seem to have pulled a muscle (yes, you can laugh, I would. ;))

Anyway, I guess it's a good thing that I'm as anal retentive about my time management as I am, because this one is going to suck LGDB, but it'll involve some truly spectacular time planning. Like, there will be highlighters and color-coded calendars. People might want to hire me as their personal time planner at the end. :tongue

It's not going to be pretty, but it looks like it'll be manageable. Worst case scenario is part time work (which means I'll lose my FT status forever, because this is how this lovely company rolls these days, but things could still be much worse, I guess).

Anyway, thanks a lot for all of your input, encouragement and great stories. It'll suck, but I think I'll be okay. I'm just frankly completely terrified of somehow screwing up spectacularly in those last two crucial semesters and I simply cannot have that, because half-assing it just isn't going to cut it.

For right now, I'm just going to continue saving whatever moneys I can, just in case and I'll go find myself some help to do something about toning down the stressing and feeling paralyzed with fear of failure. It'll be okay. Spectacular color-coding does not lie. :tongue

Anyway, thanks for listening. Someone can sit on my Writer Card during that semester. I trust it will be in good hands and ready for me to pick up again once the batshit craziness is dealt with. :heart:

And yes, Tas' signing pics are fabulous! You'll wear the complete steampunk outfit for the book four signing, yes? :D

And LW, 82-83k is perfect. Go you for super trimming!

Status
Not open for further replies.