20s+space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christracy19

Registered
Reaction score
I've been really getting into 1920s+space for some reason and the only piece of media i've found that explores this is maybe Wall-E? But as far as books I'm completely lost.

(I may or may not be writing a novel of this description and need some inspiration^^)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I'm struggling to see what Wall-E has to do with the 1920's...

If you're thinking 1920's-flavored space exploration, that was the era that the first sci-fi films were being made, some few of which have survived. The Russian propaganda piece Aelita (based on a book) has a strong 1920's art deco aesthetic, plus it's free on Hulu. (Just try not to choke on the hammer and sickle when the communist message is crammed down your throat...)

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
All I can think of is a recent episode of Doctor Who where people wore 1920s costume for a trip on a spaceship version of the Orient Express, but they were dressing up for the fun of it--it wasn't supposed to actually be people from the '20s.

Christracy19

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I explained myself properly.

I mean to say I'm searching for 1920s style themes in a Sci-Fi like environment. The reason I used Wall-E as an example was because the soundtrack contained music from Hello Dolly and it was a theme in the overall plot.

I'm struggling to see what Wall-E has to do with the 1920's...

If you're thinking 1920's-flavored space exploration, that was the era that the first sci-fi films were being made, some few of which have survived. The Russian propaganda piece Aelita (based on a book) has a strong 1920's art deco aesthetic, plus it's free on Hulu. (Just try not to choke on the hammer and sickle when the communist message is crammed down your throat...)

I'll have to check that out for sure.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website

I mean to say I'm searching for 1920s style themes in a Sci-Fi like environment. The reason I used Wall-E as an example was because the soundtrack contained music from Hello Dolly and it was a theme in the overall plot.

I'll have to check that out for sure.

If you want more... Wikipedia list of 1920's Sci-Fi Films. (No idea how many are available. I know Metropolis has a few DVD versions out; not space exploration, but it holds up fairly well.)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Still lost. "Hello Dolly!" has nothing to do with the 1920s. It was a Broadway musical which premiered in 1964, was made into a movie in 1969, and has had countless revivals since. Its setting is Yonkers, NY and New York City in the last decade of the 19th century.

Christracy19

Registered
Reaction score
Still lost. "Hello Dolly!" has nothing to do with the 1920s. It was a Broadway musical which premiered in 1964, was made into a movie in 1969, and has had countless revivals since. Its setting is Yonkers, NY and New York City in the last decade of the 19th century.

Maybe It's just me, but I associate it with the 20s. Or least the musical style is similar to that of the era.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe It's just me, but I associate it with the 20s. Or least the musical style is similar to that of the era.

Sorry to differ with you, but it's not at all like 1920s music. It's firmly in the world of the traditional Big Broadway Musical of the late 1960s - lot of big brassy material in 2/4 time.

Music of the 1920s (at least in the USA) was heavily influenced by jazz. You might want to have a listen to some Duke Ellington, George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Louis Armstrong, Al Jolson or the Paul Whiteman Orchestra to get a proper feel for the era.

ETA: The only SF/1920s mashup that comes to mind right now (and it's actually closer to the 1930s than the 20s) would be the Disney movie The Rocketeer.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
1920s sf?

Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay

Much of Edgar Rice Burrough's Mars series

And now I'm going to listen to some Gershwin and maybe some Satchmo over lunch. (Thanks to mrsmig!)

Last edited:

Christracy19

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to differ with you, but it's not at all like 1920s music. It's firmly in the world of the traditional Big Broadway Musical of the late 1960s - lot of big brassy material in 2/4 time.

Fair enough. Although I still love the soundtrack no matter what style it is. You're right on the jazz part too, but hey, who wouldn't want to listen to some Louis Armstrong In space?

1920s sf?

Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay

Much of Edgar Rice Burrough's Mars series

I'll definitely take a look.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that I've had a good night's sleep I'm still curious as to exactly what you're looking for, christracy19.

Are you looking for SF that incorporates music of the 1920s? Or are you looking for SF set in the 1920s? Or are you looking for SF written in the 1920s?

You'll get better answers if you can be specific about what you need (and avoid making older posters like me cranky ;) ).

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the early Flash Gordon comics? It was started in the 30's, so it might have some 20's themes.

Christracy19

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I've had a good night's sleep I'm still curious as to exactly what you're looking for, christracy19.

Are you looking for SF that incorporates music of the 1920s? Or are you looking for SF set in the 1920s? Or are you looking for SF written in the 1920s?

You'll get better answers if you can be specific about what you need (and avoid making older posters like me cranky ;) ).

I'll choose Sci-Fi that is set in the 20s. Gangsters making deals with aliens, Jazz players on the moon, monsters roaming around New York. That sort of wacky stuff.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I can't think of any recent sf that's set in the 1920s (except for the novel I'm currently writing), but I'm sure there is some. But first -- go to the source: science fiction written during the 1920s.

As noted, Edgar Rice Burroughs was active. H.G. Wells was still around. Philip Nowlan's novel Armageddon 2419 AD was the beginning of Buck Rogers.

EE "Doc" Smith published Skylark of Space, a seminal work of epic space opera.

(Though it occurs to me those last two have no direct connection with the aspects of 1920s culture you're interested in.)

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'll choose Sci-Fi that is set in the 20s. Gangsters making deals with aliens, Jazz players on the moon, monsters roaming around New York. That sort of wacky stuff.

Well, you know what they say: if you want something done right (or at all), sometimes you gotta do it yourself... Hit the library, do some research, and get typing!

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Perhaps the OP is looking for SF&F set in a 1920s- and 1930s- like environment.

That is, he may not be looking for works written in the 1920s.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Music of the 1920s (at least in the USA) was heavily influenced by jazz. You might want to have a listen to some Duke Ellington, George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Louis Armstrong, Al Jolson or the Paul Whiteman Orchestra to get a proper feel for the era.

ETA: The only SF/1920s mashup that comes to mind right now (and it's actually closer to the 1930s than the 20s) would be the Disney movie The Rocketeer.

The 1920s in the US are associated with the peak of Tin Pan Alley, emerging jazz, blues and skiffle, the emergence of country, and the tango invasion.

Hillsy7

Registered
Reaction score
Do five Hail Marys, and try not to do that again.

"Last night I poked a badger with a spoon."
"Never heard that one before. That's Five Hail Marys and Three Hello Dollys"
- Eddie Izzard

Couldn't resist....how often do the words Hail Mary and Hello Dolly appear in the same chat thread.

Anyway....after initially thinking this was some insane SEO expereiment......"Sky Captain and the world of Tomorrow" is very tenuously 30's sci-fi....the original War of the World's film....perhaps Quatermass and the pit....Though both instances were post war it takes "of the times" and chucks aliens at it. Would be no different to take the 20's and do the same

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
"Last night I poked a badger with a spoon."
"Never heard that one before. That's Five Hail Marys and Three Hello Dollys"
- Eddie Izzard

Couldn't resist....how often do the words Hail Mary and Hello Dolly appear in the same chat thread.

Anyway....after initially thinking this was some insane SEO expereiment......"Sky Captain and the world of Tomorrow" is very tenuously 30's sci-fi....the original War of the World's film....perhaps Quatermass and the pit....Though both instances were post war it takes "of the times" and chucks aliens at it. Would be no different to take the 20's and do the same

Why not? Aliens landing in a Depression-era world? (They cloak their wondrous flying machines in zeppelin-like disguises.) Wondering where all the 'prosperity' went and why, what remains of it, is clustered in the hands of a few?

Bread lines. What would they make of those?

Perhaps they try to 'help out' a few humans and make a major mess of things.

haha, just brainstorming a bit ...

Status
Not open for further replies.