Western writing prompts thread

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry I'm late, but count me in too. I would love to be involved in this. I will make a more concerted effort to post crits more often in western also. What topic are we kicking around and when should we post by? I'm pretty new to this.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry I'm late, but count me in too. I would love to be involved in this. I will make a more concerted effort to post crits more often in western also. What topic are we kicking around and when should we post by? I'm pretty new to this.

Welcome to the cause, Bkendall. :)

I'm pretty new, too. I think the whole thing is finding its feet at the moment. There are a few prompt ideas in this thread and you might want to go for one of them and just give the Western thing a go, or you might want to wait until Dpat comes up with something more regulated.

Either way, good to have you here and wanting to explore the Western genre. :)

Now, who else wants to join the gang and throw their Stetson into the ring?

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
I am very, very new here, but I am deeply interested in Westerns. I have some thoughts on expanding the scope of the Western. I have also written a Western novel, or is it a Southern?

Meanwhile, here's a prompt:
They realized they had lynched the wrong man.

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile, here's a prompt:
They realized they had lynched the wrong man.

I love it! Actually my WIP, a western short story, has this very point in it, except in a different way. The people who did it don't realize they got the wrong guy, but I think I could do something with this too.

I realize that writing is a means of living for some folks, but that's just not the case with me. I understand, Puma, that this site is a way to refine your own writing to hopefully get it out there to be published. For this, I applaud you. Writing, for me, is a way to think about things other than my job.

So, dpaterso, I make this query to you: Why couldn't we do this both ways? If someone wants to submit a portion of a story to fit the criteria, or just write something out of the blue from the prompt, couldn't we do this? Who knows, maybe these snippets will be able to be a part of a larger work at some point in the future.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
So, dpaterso, I make this query to you: Why couldn't we do this both ways? If someone wants to submit a portion of a story to fit the criteria, or just write something out of the blue from the prompt, couldn't we do this? Who knows, maybe these snippets will be able to be a part of a larger work at some point in the future.
Absolutely -- whatever works for you. Don't let me stop you! :)

Me, still writing...

-Derek

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, bkendall, that's the way my western novel began - a monthly challenge in historical with a short topic and from that first bit, 2,000 words, I wrote over 100,000. Puma

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Got a prompt idea:

character returns home

I only thought of this because that's how my story begins. I know, I'm cheap. I can't help it.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, being brash, ballsy, whatever ... I think we're all in agreement there should be some sort of prompt or challenge for Western stories to be posted in SYW to get things going. I've suggested Derek pick a prompt, but I think he's trying to stay out of the thick of this.

There are only 8 days left in September. I challenge anyone who's willing to pick up the gauntlet to write (or find something in their WIP) a paragraph to 1,000 words on the topic "They went thataway" and post what they've written in Western SYW on September 30. What's written can be historical western, conventional western, spaghetti western, Chinese western, sci-fi western, whatever - but, in some way it should have some link to Western, however the word is defined.

I'll write something and everyone else can join in and/or come up with what type of prompt there'll be for October. If you do decide to take this challenge, be sure to show that in the title of what you post in SYW. For anyone who's not at the magic 50 post requirement to post in SYW, pm me or Derek and one of us can probably post it for you. That work, guys? Puma

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff, Puma. :)

Works for me. Though I do declare I'm away for a few days from Saturday to Wednesday. Still, I'll do me best for the first go round.

Happy that things are moving, even if my piece will be a little rushed. :)

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Well sure, if a specific prompt and deadline helps anyone to write, well and good. I wasn't waiting, I'd picked a couple of prompts from those already suggested and I've been writing this week.

I had it in mind to call for a progress report by the end of the month, if it wasn't already evident that folks were posting stories.

Whatever works! Saddle up and get writing, if you haven't already.

-Derek

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
This might be stealing from another genre thread, but what do you think about a monthly prompt? Someone is chosen to come up with a prompt for each month?

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I dare say that's something we've all been thinking about -- and will consider more fully once we see how this prompt challenge pans out. :)

-Derek

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Monthly prompts or topics work in historical, although no one is chosen to pick the topic, people just suggest topics and they're assigned to months as they come in. Some months get good responses, some not so good. Puma

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
I dare say that's something we've all been thinking about -- and will consider more fully once we see how this prompt challenge pans out. :)

-Derek

Monthly prompts or topics work in historical, although no one is chosen to pick the topic, people just suggest topics and they're assigned to months as they come in. Some months get good responses, some not so good. Puma

It seems to work really really well in Horror :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
That's horrible, Dan :) (Couldn't help it.)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hope we have a couple people working on a "They went thataway". I've got my first draft done and it's cooking. Puma

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Hope we have a couple people working on a "They went thataway". I've got my first draft done and it's cooking. Puma

working on it...
Got a fair idea and have written some of it. It is a little bit in Children's category. I hope that doesn't matter. It is set in the West, though.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Just wondering if anyone wants to mention how they're doing as regards this month's writing challenge... given that Friday is the 30th. :)

I've written a couple of stories using some of the prompts above... and they are awful. I'm maybe regarding them as writing practice, and hoping something better comes along. :D

Western Share Your Work forum is thisaway... password, if prompted, is vista

-Derek

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've written nothing, zip, nada - well, you get the idea. However, I have been away and it's only the 29th so by my reckoning I gots 32 hours and maybe even a little longer what with those slow-coach American time zones.

I'm certainly not going for polish on this one, as Sheriff Pat said; this ones a test the water prompt. :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Counting down to the 30th. Dum, dum, dum ... See you in Western SYW! Puma

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
got mine. im gonna try a few more edits tonight and tomorrow. i hope 1000 words wasnt a hardline. mine is 1200 but maybe i can cut it down some more. ill warn you though, its a little more interstitial, has western, humor, fantasy, and children. ill post it anyway.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
No problem with being over 1000. The paragraph to 1000 was just a general idea to let people know they could write as little or as much as they wanted. Put yours up. Mine's already there. Puma