The NFL 2012 Season

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Bit upset about Smith getting fired but yeah, Shadow is right. We can't keep on failing like this late in the season. I know last year was tricky with Cutler being out and what not but still.....

Thanks Bebop but I did tell you a couple of weeks ago we weren't going to make it. Sometimes, as a fan, you just know.

Oh well, I shall have to back up OH in his support of the Skins.

Hail to the Redskins!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Just been reading the Chicago Tribune website and there is an article about who should be our next coach. Interesting choices!

But I think we need a blood and guts head coach for next year. I liked Smith but maybe he was too calm and mild-mannered. We need a coach willing to kick arse.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if Jerry Jones is going to fire Jerry Jones as the GM of the Cowboys? Now that would be something...

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
In his interview after the Skins loss, even though he said that he would not discuss personnel, he said everything but "Heads will roll!"

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but then what in the hell would he do with his time?

Seriously though, what does Jerry do with Tony Romo?

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Romo's main problem is that he's too inconsistent and he has underachieved in big games. I wouldn't get rid of him, but it would be good to bring in a new offensive coordinator and get a solid backup to put some pressure on him.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I hate to judge a man's character, but when Romo took I believe a tight end by the scruff of his neck in that Redskins game and gave him a talking to, I thought this does not bode well for the Cowboys. One thing to be a strong leader, another to deflect blame. He's not the first frustrated QB I've seen do this. If I'm not mistaken, I caught the almighty Tom Brady doing the same in one Patriots game this year. I don't know, though, for a QB, character is such a big factor. This is why I am so impressed with RGIII and Colin Kaepernack. These are two QB's who seem to be poised, and classy, and wise beyond their years.

Oh, and Happy New Year everybody- hope it's your best year yet!

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to judge a man's character, but when Romo took I believe a tight end by the scruff of his neck in that Redskins game and gave him a talking to, I thought this does not bode well for the Cowboys. One thing to be a strong leader, another to deflect blame. He's not the first frustrated QB I've seen do this. If I'm not mistaken, I caught the almighty Tom Brady doing the same in one Patriots game this year. I don't know, though, for a QB, character is such a big factor. This is why I am so impressed with RGIII and Colin Kaepernack. These are two QB's who seem to be poised, and classy, and wise beyond their years.

Oh, and Happy New Year everybody- hope it's your best year yet!

Brady gets on players for not running their routes properly, and I give him a pass for the simple reason he doesn't choke in the clutch.
Romo? He's 1-6 in clutch time, and that doesn't bode well for a QB, especially one who's never made it over the hump.
Funny thing about the playoffs? If Houston wins, which I expect, and Indy wins, which I don't, then Peyton has to square off against the Colts, who know him very well.
That could be interesting to watch.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
If I remember right, Romo was undrafted and I think this has played on his character more than not as he tries to prove he deserved to be drafted. Romo has berated his team mates for mistakes for years. This was not the first time...

Dion Sanders and Michael Irving berated Romo in interviews on Monday for his lack of team leadership, among other things...

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Brady gets on players for not running their routes properly, and I give him a pass for the simple reason he doesn't choke in the clutch.
Romo? He's 1-6 in clutch time, and that doesn't bode well for a QB, especially one who's never made it over the hump.
Funny thing about the playoffs? If Houston wins, which I expect, and Indy wins, which I don't, then Peyton has to square off against the Colts, who know him very well.
That could be interesting to watch.

You make a good point. Brady is a winner, that's for sure. I'm trying to remember exactly what game it was when he was so frustrated with his guys, he was going a bit overboard.. Don't get me wrong- nothing wrong, imo, with a QB getting on someone who's not doing their job. We expect it of them actually. Point is, he wasn't playing so well himself, and it ended up a losing effort.

If I remember right, Romo was undrafted and I think this has played on his character more than not as he tries to prove he deserved to be drafted. Romo has berated his team mates for mistakes for years. This was not the first time...

Dion Sanders and Michael Irving berated Romo in interviews on Monday for his lack of team leadership, among other things...

He was undrafted, you're right. Yeah, I heard that, from the two ex cowboys. Dion was especially rough on Romo.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Ray Lewis has officially announced that this is his final season in the nfl. I say it's about the right time for him to do so. He's still a solid player, but not in the same league as he once was and the injuries are starting to pile up.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Ray Lewis has officially announced that this is his final season in the nfl. I say it's about the right time for him to do so. He's still a solid player, but not in the same league as he once was and the injuries are starting to pile up.

Knowing what he's meant to that team, they'll want to have a good post season in his honor. I believe The Ravens represent the AFC North well.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
My picks for the wildcard weekend:
Ravens over the Colts: The Colts are good, but I don't think they're good enough to beat the Ravens in Baltimore, especially after the Ravens' offense got its swagger back in that win over the Giants.

Bengals over the Texans: The Texans have struggled recently and I think the Bengals can pull off the upset.

Seahawks over the Redskins: I think the Seahawks can stop the Redskins rushing attack, while being able to run on the Redskins defense.

Packers over the Vikings: I just don't think the vikings can pull off two upset victories in a row.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with 3 of those but Seattle/Redskins, I'm not so sure. The game is in Washington, isn't it?

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Yup. Game's in Washington.

Both teams are coming in on winning streaks: Seattle with 5 in a row, Washington with 7. Both are 8-4 against NFC opponents.

Redskins are 5-3 at home, Seattle is 3-5 on the road.
Redskins put up more points in the regular season compared to Seattle (436 vs 412) but they also gave up more points (388 vs 245).

I'm still undecided. It could go many ways. Shootout between the rookies. Ground and pound. Or defensive grind fest.

Whatever it is, it's going to be a GAME.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. If the game was in Seattle, then I would definitely expect a home win. But now... not so sure. It could come down to RGIII's ability to run. If he ain't on form, then the Seattle defence could stop the running game.

But yeah, it should be a good one.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I just see the Seahawks having more momentum. Three of their last four games were utter blowouts: 58-0, 50-17, 42-13. They're a team that doesn't just think they can be anyone, they think they can destroy anyone. That kind of swagger goes a long way.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I just see the Seahawks having more momentum. Three of their last four games were utter blowouts: 58-0, 50-17, 42-13. They're a team that doesn't just think they can be anyone, they think they can destroy anyone. That kind of swagger goes a long way.

Probably a dumb question, I've never let that stop me before, but is Ray Lewis gonna play in the post season?

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, I've never let that stop me before, but is Ray Lewis gonna play in the post season?

Ray is playing. He announced his retirement yesterday, and stated he has no intention of being 'one and done' in the post season.
This will improve the play of all the players on the Ravens, as he is a bit motivator. (I'd also be surprised if he weren't a coach next year.)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Ray is playing. He announced his retirement yesterday, and stated he has no intention of being 'one and done' in the post season.
This will improve the play of all the players on the Ravens, as he is a bit motivator. (I'd also be surprised if he weren't a coach next year.)

That should give the Ravens an emotional edge.

Ben, you must be a Falcons fan? How are you feeling going into the post season? Almost the NFC team most likely to make a lot of noise, right?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I just had to burst in and say that I am psyched for the Redskins this year. I grew up in a Skins' household. I was raised on them. But I've never seen them come this close. That being said, I wouldn't be devastated if the Ravens won since they're a local-ish team for me as well.

But I'm rooting Redskins. I just hope RGIII is resting so he can kick some butt. Although Morris is proving his talents, for sure.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Redskin fan since 1966. I've seen the good, bad, and ugly. My spirits have been up, down, and in between with this team. Win, lose, or draw, I have been a Redskin fan, but I am also a realist and know not to pin all my hopes on a single player or game.

Seattle scares me. I think for QB's and RB's we can stand with the Hawks, but their defense is something else. The Redskins defensive coordinator has shown some good game plans in the past seven weeks and I am sure he has a good plan for Seattle, but Seattle's defense has allowed the fewest points this season and that means the players are taking pride in stopping teams.

It will be an interesting game for sure...