Rediscovering Ancient Archery

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah that guy's insanely good. And he's right. That's how combat archery used to be. We never get to see it in movies because I don't think there are enough people alive today who could recreate it.

davidwestergaard

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah that guy's insanely good. And he's right. That's how combat archery used to be. We never get to see it in movies because I don't think there are enough people alive today who could recreate it.

WETA/ILM, are you reading this?

IMO we haven't seen this in movies because the people making them were just as floored by Lars' video as the rest of us :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I find it a bit hard to believe no other Western archers have considered such basic things as holding extra arrows in hand or nocking on the same side as your draw hand. After all, these are both standard practice in kyuudou.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand here's a contrary view from a military historian and archer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_1z3GwxQk
I like his point about pulling the arrow most of the way back. Made me take another look at Lars Andersen's video. Sometimes it looks like he's pulling it mostly back; sometimes
it's too fast to tell.

kuwisdelu said:
Yeah, a lot of the video did strike me more as trick shooting than anything that would be used in actual combat.
True. But when your BAMF archer protagonist shoots two ruffians at point-blank range from a seated position, you can show the naysayers this video and say, "It is, too, possible!" :tongue ;) :D

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of the video did strike me more as trick shooting than anything that would be used in actual combat.

Yeah, a lot of it is just show-off stunt stuff. But at the very least it does give you an idea of how quickly archers could operate in combat.