Serialised Novels

Yorwick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
yorwickcastle.com
This is a topic that I have been thinking about a great deal lately but have not been able to find a lot of information online. I am really interested in the concept of publishing a full novel in installments in a literary magazine. I know this was an extremely popular publishing model in the 1800s and many of my favorite authors (Alexandre Dumas, Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Edgar Allen Poe, Jules Verne) published their novel-length works in this way first before releasing them as books.

It seems like a great way to gauge reader interest, build an audience and promote a more immediate level of engagement with the story. It also seems like something that should really make a comeback with the advent of eReaders, kindles, tablets, and various mobile technology. At the same time, I am having trouble finding outlets for this sort of publishing (meaning paid outlets, as of course I can serialize my novel on my blog for free :)).

Has anyone had any experience with this? Have you come across magazines looking for serialized novels?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Alexander McCall Smith did this in collaboration with The Scotsman (I think), so it's not an entirely dead format.

John Scalzi released The Human Division as an ebook serial, which might be a more appropriate model for what you're proposing. He did it with Tor.

If you're not a big name author and in the absence of a paid deal, I'd imagine the best way to do it is to set up some sort of subscription service.

(That's not a terribly helpful answer, I know!)

Last edited: