Getting paid for travel

starrykitten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have been working on a proposal for a nonfiction book. In order to write this book, I must visit a faraway country and stay there for a while.

There is no way I would be able to afford that travel on my own. I don't have a credit card either and can't get one because of my bad credit.

What I am wondering is how travel expenses work when they are necessary to the writing of a book. If I got a publisher interested in my book, is there *any* chance they would front the travel costs? I couldn't afford to pay and then reimbursed, so I'd pretty much need them to cover everything up front.

I realize that would be a huge gamble on their part, but I just have no idea if it's possible.

So how does it usually work when you incur travel expenses during the writing of a book?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert in non-fiction and others will be able to give you a far more define answer, but if I was a publisher I'd outright not pay for travel and stay expenses for a--possibly untested--writer to write a book because they have no real experience in the place they're travelling to. Would you?

starrykitten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert in non-fiction and others will be able to give you a far more define answer, but if I was a publisher I'd outright not pay for travel and stay expenses for a--possibly untested--writer to write a book because they have no real experience in the place they're travelling to. Would you?

That makes sense and is pretty much what I was thinking. Though if it matters, the book isn't about the place itself but will include a lot of interviews with certain people who live there, people with whom I have already published other interviews.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Is there any reason you can't do the interviews by email, phone or Skype? Esp. if you've already interviewed these people.

You might be able to claim travel as a tax deduction, but that is something you'd have to discuss with your accountant.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Publishers are extremely unlikely to fund your travel.

Here's how it goes, if you're lucky.

You write a few chapters and a proposal, and then you find an agent.

The agent finds a publisher and works out a deal for you.

The deal includes an advance against royalties, and you get paid a segment of that advance on signing the contract (actually, a few weeks after). This share of the advance is not likely to be high: if the total advance is £5,000, you'll probably get a third of it.

You write the book. You pay for your own expenses, but you save your receipts obsessively.

When you do your taxes for that year you include all your receipts as proof of legitimate expenses, and the tax man smiles on you.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Many years ago writer Susan Griffith wrote a book on live-work abroad. Some libraries still carry it, and there are more up-to-date books on traveling on a tiny budget.

It's more likely you could score a job in the country you want to visit than get a publisher to front you the funds.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
No, unless a publisher actually commissioned you to go write a book about that place, they're not going to pay you to go, even if they like your book proposal.