Musical Instruments

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Musical instruments: care and feeding thereof.

Most of the characters in my fantasy novel are more musically inclined than I am. I love listening to music, but the closest I've come to making music is childhood piano lessons (I can play about three songs from memory including Chopsticks). Yet my novel is filled with bards, minstrels, and an entire village of people devoted to making musical instruments.

I was hoping some of the musically inclined out there could answer some questions on musical instruments in specific and music in general. I'm mostly interested in information on instruments made from wood (harps, guitars, flutes, drums, ???) and do not require electricity, but I'd love to hear about any more esoteric instruments, too.

So, what do you play? How do you take care of your instrument? If portable, what do you need to do to protect the instrument during travel? What does it sound like? How difficult is it to learn?

Thanks in advance for any answers, and if anyone else would like to add their questions, please feel free.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Bassoons are considered woodwinds, correct? For reed instruments, what is the reed made of? What's involved in making the mouthpiece? Any idea what sort of wood the bassoon is made from?

Note: please correct me if I use terminology incorrectly. Thanks!

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Wooden flutes and clarinets .... AAAAGH!!!! The ideal wood is extremely dense, such as ebony. They sound "warmer" than the metal ones.

You have to keep them oiled, inside and out, and protect them from large temperature swings.

But they sound really good.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The main problem with stringed instuments while traveling is weather, specifically temp and humidity. As the humidity changes, the intrument tends to go out of tune, and in extreme cases, can even crack or warp. (Like going from a hot desert climate to a cool wet mountain environment.) One of the common ways to protect against this is to loosen the strings whenever you travel.

Here are a few links about stringed instuments. You could combine aspects of each and invent your own, but you might want to check with a musician if you intend to talk about how it's to be tuned.

http://www.kairarecords.com/oudpage/

http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute/lute.html

http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/5961/balalaik.html

http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/info/faqbouzouki.htm

Deleted member 42

A basson is by nature a keyed instrument; you can't actually have a basson without a metal key system and it't not the kind of thing a black smith would do; you would need very exact measurements and casting skills to make the keys out of silver or gold.

You might research instruments that were used pre-1700, and not just in Europe; look at Asia and India and Africa as well.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I somewhat play the guitar (badly) . . . and also have a flute (silver) but about the only thing I can do on it is play the notes while looking at a finger diagram.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
If you do decide to have brass instruments in your story, the mouthpieces are separate. And the tubing gets spitty, which is why modern instruments have spit valves. When I used to play the French horn (in middle and high school), every so often I'd actually give my horn a bath in the tub, rinsing it out with plain water, then drying it off and oiling the valves. Probably wasn't good for it, though, now that I think about it.

I think hunting horns were the precursors of the French horn. Hunting horns probably wouldn't have separate mouthpieces, though, since it'd be too easy for them to fall out while riding.

Deleted member 42

In fact, hunting horns do have separate mouthpieces; it's much much easier to construct them that way.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Hunting horns have no keys or valves, correct?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. If you want a more esoteric instrument, you could consider the Zither. It's sort of like a lap harp. It's a flat wooden soundbox with 4 or 5 melody strings and about 35 accompaniment strings stretched. The melody strings are plucked with the left hand by means of a pick attached to the thumb. These would be the strings closest to the player. The accompaniement strings are played with the right hand. It's a more rustic, folk instrument and quality can vary widely as can the number of strings. This can make it a very personal instrument. As always, the wood and stings must be cared for. Heat and drought are the enemies. Cleaning and oiling are a must.

BTW--no, I don't play the zither personally.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
You may also want to research the bombard (a medieval oboe), lute, reber ( a medieval form of violin usually depicted being played on the arms or under the chins of angels), and my favorite... the hurly-gurly... which came on the scene around the 11th century. I love this instrument, and it was used a great deal by troubadours.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are many varieties of lute. You could almost invent your own for your "world." I don't know the hurly-gurly. I've heard of the "hurdy-gurdy." Same thing or different?

I just love stringed instruments and I stink at them. Can't play a note worth hearing. But my son studies violin.

Deleted member 42

brianm said:
You may also want to research the bombard (a medieval oboe), lute, reber ( a medieval form of violin usually depicted being played on the arms or under the chins of angels), and my favorite... the hurly-gurly... which came on the scene around the 11th century. I love this instrument, and it was used a great deal by troubadours.

The Breton bombard is still used in traditional Celtic music; it's a b!tch to play, but a lovely thing.

Bagpipes, of various sorts, are reed instruments and medieval in origin; low tech instruments.

That's hurdy-gurdy, a lute with a cranked drone

and that's rebec, a three stringed sort of violin; it's bowed but not fretted. The were other bowed and fretted things.

SeanDSchaffer

I used to play the drums. They are not portable, unless you get a special setup that is designed for each drum to nest inside the other drums. Generally, a drum set (or drum kit, as some people call it) consists of a number of different-toned drums called 'Toms' and 'Floor Toms', a big drum that sits on its side called a 'Bass Drum' (you play it with a foot pedal), and a thin little thing called a 'Snare Drum'. The Snare Drum is one of the two basic drums needed for a gigging kit. The other one you need is a Bass Drum. The reason the snare drum (or 'snare', as drummers commonly call it) has such a name, is that it has a metal strap on the bottom that, when the drum is struck, raps against the bottom drum head producing a popping sound.

Most drum kits I have seen have at least four drums (although I have seen smaller kits) and each drum is referred to as a 'piece'. Therefore, a four-drum kit is called a '4-piece'.

Most drummers use cymbals in the keeping of the tempo, as well as the bass and the snare drums. The cymbal most people think of is called a 'Crash'. The reason it has this name is the sound it makes. It is an emphasis cymbal. Other cymbals that are commonly used are a giant cymbal called a 'Ride', which is good for a smooth-sounding, continual slight tapping (you do not hit a ride hard unless you want to punish everyone's ears). The other cymbal that is used for keeping the tempo is actually a pair of cymbals that clap together using a foot pedal. These are commonly called 'Hi-Hats'. (Earlier version of Hi-Hats had the cymbals closer to the floor, and were sometimes referred to as 'Low-Boys'.)

The kit I used to have was a Ludwig brand 4-piece with six cymbals. (The cymbals consisted of my two Hi-Hats, a Ride, two Crashes, and a little tiny cymbal referred to as a 'Splash' cymbal. Again, each cymbal is basically named for the sound it makes or the purpose it serves.)

I would keep my kit in my apartment (I was allowed to play it so long as I kept it quiet and only played during certain hours of the day) and I would generally keep it set up. However, if I needed to take it on a gig, I had a set of cases, each made specifically for one of my pieces. These were black in color and generally made of a very hard paperboard, riveted together.

General maintenance that I performed on my drum kit included continually tuning the drum heads (or skins, as some people call them) and basic dusting. To give the outer surface (covered with a vinyl covering called a 'wrap', in the case of my kit--some other drum kits have lacquered finishes.) a good, clean shine, I generally used car wax (Turtle Wax was my preferred brand). When I did not have any Turtle Wax, I found Mop'n'Glo to be almost as good.

The bass drum generally has such a loud 'boom' that many drummers use a pillow inside it to muffle the drum. When applied correctly, this muffle can still produce a decent 'Thump' without drowning out the rest of the band.

The bass drum, like I said before, is played using a foot pedal with a thick felt beater on the end of it (some have wood or plastic, as well, and sometimes all on the same shaft so as to be easily interchangeable).

The main tool that drummers use to tune and otherwise adjust the drums and their equipment is called a 'Drum Key'. It is a wrench with either a screw-slot tab (Sonor brand makes their drums and keys like this) or a square hole at one end (Ludwig, Tama, and Pearl are among some of the brands that use this design). The Drum Key (or just 'Key') is used like a screwdriver or a socket wrench to turn Tension Rods for tuning, or make equipment adjustments, just like one would with a regular bolt. Drum Keys are generally one-size-fits-all, and are not proprietary to the drum set's brand, for the most part (in other words, a Pearl drum key will work on a Ludwig drum set). There are a couple of exceptions, including the brand Sonor, as I mentioned above.

This is basically what I remember of the purposes and upkeep of the drums I used to have. I hope this helps with your research, TheIT. I wish you well.

Gwenzilla

Rarely a leaf on the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harpetrator.com
Small Harps (LONG!)

I am a professional harper. I play small metal-strung harps, which sound very, very different from the nylon-strung, "Celtic" harps you may have heard. Contraray to popular belief, the harp was never a folk instrument: only modern folklore has made the harp a folk instrument. However, there were itinerant harpers in Ireland and the highlands of Scotland who travelled around and played harps in the big houses up into the first third of the 19th century or so: the last harp school in Ireland closed in eighteen twenty-something. Most of these musicians would have played harps that were resident in the big houses, although many of them also travelled with their own smaller instruments.

Metal-strung harps are strung with brass, silver or gold (yes, real silver and gold) wire, and they have a sound that can be compared to bells. They are played with the fingernails, which means players must take care of their nails. In fact, there used to be fines to pay in Ireland if you were responsible for breaking a harper's nail(s). Traditionally, small metal-strung harps had their soundboxes hollowed out from a single piece of wood. The oldest surviving example of the metal-strung harp is the Trinity College Harp, fancifully known as the Brian Boru harp. It lives in Trinity College, Dublin, in a plexiglass case, and it's also featured on most Irish coins. This harp would have been small enough to travel with.

My smallest harp has twenty-four strings. The five bottom strings are made from silver, and the rest are yellow brass. I carry it in a backpack case, and it's really easy to carry around that way. My case is made of canvas and nylon and other modern materials, but in Fantasyland, leather would probably do as well. I own two other wire harps, but they are quite a bit larger; they're pictured prominently on my web site (link in my .sig). Carried along with the harp, in the same case, is a string kit, which consists of coils of brass and silver wire, metal or wooden toggles to hold strings beneath the soundboard, something capable of cutting wire (I use a pair of needlenose pliers with a wirecutter), something to polish the strings with (I use fine grade steel wood to clean and a jeweller's cloth to polish), a tuning wrench (more romantically called 'key', but it's really a wrench), and for me, something to colour the strings with. Harp strings are traditionally coloured red (for Cs) and blue (for Fs) to help players find their place on the strings, but wires don't come coloured, so I add a dot of colour to the appropriate strings so I can navigate.

Harp strings are only changed when they break, and strings made of precious metals are always carefully coiled away when they break. When I tell people there are silver strings on my harp and that I know people who have gold strings on their harps, I'm often met with disbelief. Yes, the sound really is different; silver strings keep a good sound a lower tension, for example, which lets me pitch my bass strings a little bit lower without them sounding sour or thuddy.

Harps need to be tuned and played every day, not just to keep the player's hands in shape but to keep the harp's tuning consistent and keep it sounding 'live'. A harp that's been sitting on a shalf for years in a quiet room will not sound the same as one that's been played every day for the same amount of time. There are plenty of fanciful ways to explain this phenomenon, but the actual reason is that the harp's soundboard responds well to frequent vibrating; a harp that's been kept near a loud stereo will also sound live even if it hasn't been played for awhile, although just sitting your harp in front of a good pair of speakers will not tune it up!

You asked about the way the instrument sounds. As I said, many people compare the sound of the wire harp to bells. There are some song mp3s linked from my web site, but here is a link to a march I put up on my website for students to listen to:http://www.gwenknighton.com/mp3/mackenziesfarewell.mp3. Actually hearing the music will tell you more than any discussion here will do.

How difficult is the harp to learn? Honestly, I found the harp very simple to learn, but the harp is my fifteenth instrument. It is currently my primary instrument, and the only other two instruments I am learning at present (mountain dulcimer, melodeon) were both started after I became proficient on the wire harp. I can tell you what my students have difficulty with. First, wire strings ring a lot longer than nylon/gut ones, so they must be damped as other strings are played, which means the fingers do double duty: the nails pluck and the pads damp. Otherwise, you have muddy music, like you'd have if you played a piano with the sustain pedal down and never released the pedal to damp the strings. You don't see this problem on a guitar or other fretted instrument with metal strings, because a guitar has a stringboard and frets, and each string can sound several different notes. On a harp, one string equals one note, and the strings are only stopped when they must be, if that makes any sense. My students typically have trouble with learning to damp and play at the same time, and with damping properly so that the strings left to ring are the consonant ones and not tones dissonant with the harmony of the piece being played. Elegant and intelligent fingering is always a struggle, as is the initial learning of what ornamentation works and how to make ornamentation sound natural and not overdone.

Wow, this is long. Please let me know if you have further questions about harps!

Last edited:

Zisel

Registered
Reaction score
As the humidity changes, the [stringed] instrument tends to go out of tune
With a violin (can’t speak for other stringed things), this is even more likely with gut strings, especially right after you put them on. Unless your characters are using strings from nylon, metal, or some fantasy material, I’d assume they’d be using gut.

On learning, my violin teacher said pianists eventually stop improving, but violinists can play 'til they're 105 years old and still improve a little each year. This said by a lady with 20 years' teaching experience, so she probably knows.

Expanding on the idea of inventing instruments, you could even invent a type of tree, the wood of which makes a unique sound. I’m thinking of how they say duduks should be made only from apricot wood and not just any apricot wood at that.

I’m not a drummer, but reading Sean’s very good post about modern drums, I thought I’d put in a word for old time drums, too. If your characters want portable drums, the dumbek is very portable and fun at parties :D, the dhol and davul are also portable, but they’re bigger and harder to carry around. African music (I know, wide variety there) also uses a lot of drums and the few I know of look pretty portable. Unfortunately, I have no idea about the maintenance of these things. The Armenian instruments link below will give you an idea of how they're played, though, if you're interested.

Just thinking, if you want less common instruments that are portable, try exploring the music of Central Asia and the Caucasus. A lot of formerly nomadic nations there and some really gorgeous music. For starters, here are some pages on traditional instruments of Kazakhstan, Chechnya, Bulgaria, and Armenia. (Two links are Wikis, so reader beware.)

Keep in mind that with tuning you don't have to limit yourself to the Western scale (A, B/H, C, D, ect.). For instance, Arabic (and some other) music uses maquams, which involve notes that "western" instruments, except for the violin and trombone, can't make.

I'd bet in a village of musicians there would be at least some playful teasing of players of certain instruments, if not actual stereotypes and cliqueishness (is "cliqueishness" a word?). We have this on Earth, after all.

Z

Last edited:

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! This helps.

I need to pick out a few instruments for a couple of characters, otherwise I can leave it pretty vague.

Zisel, oh, yes, there are cliques in this village, but not among the bards. I'm imagining rival instrument makers. One specializes in stringed instruments, the other in woodwinds, and both are in direct competition for the local wood. The village is in a forest. Types of trees to be determined, though there will at least be redwood and pine, and probably some other trees I'll make up.

One of the characters who needs instruments is a sailor who is learning to be a bard. He has a leg injury which prevents him from captaining a ship, so he's changing direction and becoming a storyteller instead. He's come to the village to purchase instruments. He'll need instruments which are portable and are played just with the hands, i.e. as background music to catch people's attention while he tells stories. I was thinking a hand drum and something with strings like a guitar or maybe a small harp like Gwenzilla describes.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Couple of thoughts: humidity and extreme temp changes affect various instruments; something to keep in mind when your characters are traveling and storing their instruments.

Weather can affect tuning in stringed instruments (hubby has a terrible time keeping his guitar, mandolin and banjo tuned when it's really humid), and damp weather/extremely dry, hot weather can cause various problems, too. You'll also need to come up with suitable instrument cases to protect them and make them easier to carry.

One more thing that might be fun--certain types of picks such those made from tortoise shell are highly prized and difficult to get--maybe you could tweak this somehow if you have stringed instrument players?

Sorry to be so brief and scattered; thunderstorms and tornado warnings are smacking us. I'll check back later. :)

ETA: Sorry if I duplicated anyone's responses. Oh, and I play (not too skillfully) guitar, mandolin, and dulcimer. :)

Last edited:

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
What a fascinating thread!
I have Harpers in my fantasy world, too, so all the information about the strings will come in very useful.

I have a special interest in medieval Wales, so I thought I'd mention the crwth here (said "crooth"). It's sort of similar to a violin - at least, it's played with a bow, and has a very distinctive sound which requires a special technique to sing with it.
It was fascinating last year, listening to a Jamaican lady on BBC Radio 3 (the classical music station, basically), as she shifted seamlessly from Caribbean accent to medieval Welsh that went with the odd buzzing notes of the crwth.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Question on storage - a couple of posts have mentioned the problems with humidity. What about extreme dryness? Would a storage case which contains a magical item to absorb water help?

For the problems with tuning - is the difficulty that humidity or jostling the instrument affects the tension of the strings?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
TheIT said:
For the problems with tuning - is the difficulty that humidity or jostling the instrument affects the tension of the strings?
The problem is not so much with the strings as it is the wood of the instrument. Varnishes help, but as the wood absorbs water or dries out, it swells and shrinks, changing the tension of the strings and thus their pitch. If it swells and shrinks enough times, the wood can develop cracks, ruining the resonance.

Perhaps your bards could magically travel into the future and pick up a few packs of dessicants.

Seriously, most dessicants are silica based (I think) so you could temper any magical solutions with some low tech ones, created by clever artisans, to impart a sense of reality and place to your world.

LeeFlower

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annalee.dreamwidth.com
I play the flute and the Bodhran.

The bodhran (the 'd' is silent) is an Irish frame-drum, usually played with a wooden beater. It's actually NOT a period Irish instrument, even though everyone thinks it is. IIRC, the first Bodhrans evolved out of tambourines sometime in the 1920s. But of course, the concept of the frame drum dates back to forever, and there's nothing inherantly technological about them.

Like most non-metal instruments, Bodhrans are sensetive to temperature and humidity changes. There are tunable drums that employ small metal parts to make the skin's tautness adjustable, but non-tunables are popular too (I hear that players in the UK and the Republic of Ireland make fun of Americans for 'needing their drums just so.' They can come chill out in Maryland for a year and then come talk to me-- Ireland's got nothin' on our mad humidity swings). With non-tunables, people do a veriety of different things to warm and moisten their drum skins when they're too tight. Warm water, hand-warmers, blow dryers... some people use beer. That's a very bad idea. I don't think there's much you can do when it's too loose, though (due to high humidity). Ice water might help a bit.

My flute is a pretty standard silver one. The important thing is to keep it clean. Most flutes these days are sold with 'cleaning rods.' They look kind of like knitting needles with a big eye at one end. to clean a flute, you pull its three sections apart, feed a rag through the eye of the cleaning rod, and run it through the flute several times.

Reed flutes are another matter (refferring here to a keyless instrument that looks rather like a recorder. They're usually made out of wood or bamboo). I don't even bother keeping my reed flutes in cases, because any case I got for them would probably cost more than they do. They're very low-maintanance and wonderfully easy to learn-- great starter instruments for beginners.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
You know, I just thought about the recorder. I can't believe I forgot it; I've played it (rather badly) for decades. I have a lovely little pearwood one my mother gave me when I was 15 or 16. It's a simple wooden instrument something like a clarinet with holes you stop with your fingers instead of keys. Here's the Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recorder
The recorder is an easy instrument to learn, so maybe your sailor-turned-storyteller would take it up to feel like he's accomplished something in his new career.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Recorders and wooden flutes are definitely going to have some place in this world (mostly because I like how they sound ;) ), but I'm not sure whether my sailor would choose one immediately since he figures he'll need to talk to earn his keep. I'll have to think about it. He's changing his life direction, so he'll look to the future, too, and music would definitely be in his future. The drum, definitely. LeeFlower, thanks for the Bodhran info, that sounds about right. I'll have to investigate it further. For a storyteller, I figure he could use a drum as emphasis or to set a mood.

And rugcat? Dessicants they can do :D . This ties in nicely with my MC who is a artist who sculpts magical clay. One of the items she can make is something to absorb water, so that gives her something she can sell to the local bards and instrument makers. See my "Magical Items" thread in the Science Fiction and Fantasy forum for more info. She'll also be able to make decorative inlays out of clay with colors like moonlight and sunshine.

Let me throw the question out here, too. I've asked it in "Horse Sense" and "Magical Items", so now let me poll the musicians. If you had access to magic, what sort of spell or item would be useful to you to as a musician? Something to keep instruments in repair, like a dessicant? Something to help with tuning?

Status
Not open for further replies.