My notes for On Writing by King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Well, it's something that people read and love and resonate with. It's something that touches people and changes them and makes them think, or wish, or hope or dream or hate.

But King was talking about good writing.

We can have the discussion about how any book that lots of people read is a good book again, but I do get tired of the insistence that there is no such thing as "good writing" except as defined by how well it sells. There is some subjectivity in what defines good writing, sure, but when King says that Dickens is a great writer and V.C. Andrews is not, he's talking about the quality of their writing. Yes, according to his subjective opinion. I am certain that Stephen King is as aware as anyone that quality of writing does not necessarily correlate to saleability.

If you tell me that you enjoyed Twilight and did not enjoy Light in August, fine, fair enough. But if you try to tell me that we can't say William Faulkner is a better writer than Stephenie Meyer, I will bray ear-splitting laughter in your face.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This was not opened as a thread or discussion on a specific book - although it may now be drifting towards being that.

I'm guessing no one is expecting anyone to respond to any thread that they post. When I post a thread, I hope it piques someone's interest, I don't expect it. I certainly don't expect it will apply to everyone either.

There have been plenty threads on specific books on this forum. I see nothing wrong with this one. ...

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
This was not opened as a thread or discussion on a specific book - although it may now be drifting towards being that.

It's called thread drift. It's a thing. Welcome to the Internet.

Seriously, I understand why you pointed out that someone else's notes on King's book aren't necessarily meaningful to anyone else, but hey, it opened a discussion, so I don't know why you keep harping on it.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not harping on - it's responding to a post.

And I'm well aware that threads wander.

It's called thread drift. It's a thing. Welcome to the Internet.

Seriously, I understand why you pointed out that someone else's notes on King's book aren't necessarily meaningful to anyone else, but hey, it opened a discussion, so I don't know why you keep harping on it.

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
This is not a thread on a book.

Silly me. I figured since the title of the thread included the title and the author of a book, and the first post contained notes straight from the book, the thread was about the book! :Shrug:

Not all threads about a book should start out with "what did you think about ______ by _______ ?"

I'm quite alright with a thread about a book starting with notes someone took while reading a book, or discussion on the cover art, or a question on what the author was eating for breakfast when he started writing the book.

I think you need to step back and take a look: did this thread resonate with at least one other person, prompted response and comment on the notes and the text? If yes, then this thread has its place and purpose. If you fail to connect to the purpose, or the original post, or the title of this thread - no biggie.

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
But King was talking about good writing.

We can have the discussion about how any book that lots of people read is a good book again, but I do get tired of the insistence that there is no such thing as "good writing" except as defined by how well it sells. There is some subjectivity in what defines good writing, sure, but when King says that Dickens is a great writer and V.C. Andrews is not, he's talking about the quality of their writing. Yes, according to his subjective opinion. I am certain that Stephen King is as aware as anyone that quality of writing does not necessarily correlate to saleability.

If you tell me that you enjoyed Twilight and did not enjoy Light in August, fine, fair enough. But if you try to tell me that we can't say William Faulkner is a better writer than Stephenie Meyer, I will bray ear-splitting laughter in your face.

I think there is quality of prose and then there is quality of storytelling. I really like how King introduces his characters and how well we get to know them. I like how clear he is in presenting his thoughts and ideas in sentences. I really like his advice on structure.

When it comes to storytelling aspect, that's where Meyer or Andrews find their strengths. The best kind of writer will master both, of course, and you get your Faulkner.

RemiJ

Registered
Reaction score
considering he listed Kingsolver and a few other women in his "currently reading" and wrote Bag of Bones as a bit of an homage to Rebecca, I doubt it.

I meant the subject matter not female authors.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's no biggie, then stop making it an issue.

Silly me. I figured since the title of the thread included the title and the author of a book, and the first post contained notes straight from the book, the thread was about the book! :Shrug:

Not all threads about a book should start out with "what did you think about ______ by _______ ?"

I'm quite alright with a thread about a book starting with notes someone took while reading a book, or discussion on the cover art, or a question on what the author was eating for breakfast when he started writing the book.

I think you need to step back and take a look: did this thread resonate with at least one other person, prompted response and comment on the notes and the text? If yes, then this thread has its place and purpose. If you fail to connect to the purpose, or the original post, or the title of this thread - no biggie.

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
If it's no biggie, then stop making it an issue.

You see, I don't believe it's me who is making anything an issue: I don't go looking for threads which do not interest me just to point out that I fail to see the purpose of those threads.

I will, however, stand up for the OP, because not everyone has enough confidence to share their thoughts, especially when they recently joined a forum. I don't want anyone who stumbled on this thread to think, "Uh oh, I guess it is a stupid idea to start a discussion about a book by sharing my notes." It's not. I like it. I drink my coffee and read the notes, and feel warm fuzzies regarding the fact that someone out there read the same book I did, and liked it enough to take notes and to share them.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And still you come. Delighted you got warm fuzzies. :Hug2:

You see, I don't believe it's me who is making anything an issue: I don't go looking for threads which do not interest me just to point out that I fail to see the purpose of those threads.

I will, however, stand up for the OP, because not everyone has enough confidence to share their thoughts, especially when they recently joined a forum. I don't want anyone who stumbled on this thread to think, "Uh oh, I guess it is a stupid idea to start a discussion about a book by sharing my notes." It's not. I like it. I drink my coffee and read the notes, and feel warm fuzzies regarding the fact that someone out there read the same book I did, and liked it enough to take notes and to share them.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Well, if anyone is interested, I am now watching A Night at the Movies with Stephen King, and he's talking about horror movies, including his own. Very interesting. It's on Turner Classics, and I now realize I have went way off topic here.....

On Horror Movies by Stephen King? I'd buy it. :D

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
Well, if anyone is interested, I am now watching A Night at the Movies with Stephen King, and he's talking about horror movies, including his own. Very interesting. It's on Turner Classics, and I now realize I have went way off topic here.....

On Horror Movies by Stephen King? I'd buy it. :D

I might be too scared. :e2paperba

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
He wrote that one years ago, didn't he? And called it Danse Macabre.
I've been reading an excerpt from it in Secret Windows. From what I've read so far he goes pretty in depth. In the last part I read he was describing what makes up a Southern Gothic. I think some of you might benefit from reading it, if you haven't yet.

I'm towards the beginning, and these are my notes so far:

Books: Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Dracula, and Robert W. Chambers's The King in Yellow.

Lord of the flies

The Monkey's Paw

Ted Klein's Children of the Kingdom

Peter Straub. Ghost story

The Haunting of Hill House

Rosemary's Baby

The Exorcist

The Other

Arkham House books old school publisher

P. 84 Describes what he put on Salem's lot

P. 89 The good horror story about the Bad Place whispers that we are not locking the world out; we are locking ourselves in...with them.

The Lost, Strayed, Stolen - MFK Fisher

P. 106 "Second, the gothic house functions as an image of authoritarianism, of imprisonment, or of "confining narcissim." By narcissim, Park and Malin seem to mean a growing obsession with one's own problems; a turning inward instead of a growing outward."

... Werewolfs transform while looking at themselves going through the transformation.

...""Nearly all the characters of the American gothic are narcissistic," Park sums up, "in one form or another, weaklings who try to read their own preoccupations into reality."

Two great supernatural novels: The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and James's - The Turn of the Screw. & 2 long novellas Arthur Machen's - The Great God Pan & Lovecraft's - At the Mountains of Madness.

P. 111-113. Eleanor's narcissim explained

P. 116 When you tamper with a man's or woman's perspective on the physical world, you tamper with what may actually be the fulcrum of the human mind. i.e. dimensions

Last edited:

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
He wrote that one years ago, didn't he? And called it Danse Macabre.

Well worth the hunt and the read - I'm only a fan of "The Stand" and his "On Writing" but it's an excellent history of the horror genre and great read.

I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.