Books on Staging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaligard

tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for a writing book with good advice on staging.

Obviously, if I google or hit Barnes & Noble search, I get books on writing for the stage. I need something on the physical movements of my characters in space.

I'm guessing a book on action scenes my help.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Staging is a part of writing writing for the stage, so you aren't far off with the search results.

When you Googled/Binged "Writing Action Scenes," what came up?

Jeff

Jaligard

tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
When you Googled/Binged "Writing Action Scenes," what came up?

Nothing useful. I get little lists of advice for writing action scenes. Stuff like:

• Ensure that the events unfold in “real time,” allowing the reader to feel he is participating in the events of the scene.
  • Make the pace quick, and include some kind of physical movement.
  • Force the protagonist to make quick decisions or react—to run on instinct rather than intellect.
  • Create unexpected consequences for the protagonist to heighten the drama.

My real problem is specific: how to make clear where everyone is when they do what they're doing. I don't want to bog people down in description.

Most of my novel is fine, but I've got one scene where it's easy to get confused. I'd like to clear things up.

I'm not worried too much about the description of the action itself, I'm just lousing up the staging some. If there was a book that covered this, even in a chapter, I'd love to read it.

lemonhead

Life isn't all beer and skittles.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahnicolelemon.com
Good novels are the best books for this,

Yeah. As a googler-galore of this specific topic, I've found this to be true.

Also, weirdly, a small book on writing sex scenes (by AW's very own Stacia Kane) helped quite a bit. One of the few writing books I've purchased. I guess because sex is very action orientated, and the same action, that it helped.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, you convinced me to buy. :)

Stacia, you owe him her a beer.

Jeff

;)

I'm no stage manager, but I find it helps to do a couple of things in trying to orient the reader to a scene:

*orient from the POV's character's standpoint--where everyone else is in relation to that character.
*move in a logical line of sight--near to far, left to right, up to down or vice versa. Don't start in the middle and then try to go both directions.
*imagine you have a movie camera on. What's in focus? How does the camera move to capture the scene?

I'm sure there's much more comprehensive material out there, but these are the basics I use the most.

:)

Edit: If that's what you were asking for. I'm not sure it was.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Most of my novel is fine, but I've got one scene where it's easy to get confused. I'd like to clear things up.

I'm not worried too much about the description of the action itself, I'm just lousing up the staging some. If there was a book that covered this, even in a chapter, I'd love to read it.

If you have a specific scene that needs help, maybe you could post it in SYW and let others offer some advice. Otherwise, what Jamesaritchie said.

Status
Not open for further replies.