Status
Not open for further replies.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I'm like bearilou. I have to read the how-to books in order to know what to look for in novels. I know what novels I enjoyed, but I don't know intuitively what to look for since I'm such a newbie in the writing world.

I'm also very visual, so I can't read a good novel and have the ah ha moment. When I analyze a good novel, I have to highlight in various colors so I can "see" how the components fit together.

My first ah-ha moment (after years of frustrated effort) was after reading this, I copied a couple of chapters of my favorite novel, grabbed ye ol' highlighters of different colors and marked it out. When I was done, I could literally see the how it flowed.

I immediately purchased a copy of the book he recommended and my writing took off to heights I don't think I would have made if I hadn't 'read' about 'how to do it' first.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
My first ah-ha moment (after years of frustrated effort) was after reading this, I copied a couple of chapters of my favorite novel, grabbed ye ol' highlighters of different colors and marked it out. When I was done, I could literally see the how it flowed.

I immediately purchased a copy of the book he recommended and my writing took off to heights I don't think I would have made if I hadn't 'read' about 'how to do it' first.

That article was a good read. I'll have to apply his suggestions on my next rewrite.

AMtran

Registered
Reaction score

I stumbled on his Snowflake Method when I was researching how to write fiction earlier this year. His For Dummies book was pretty good too.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with this. Good pacing is best learned by example. I hate forcing myself to do it, but during regular reading I sometimes take notes. It's always a study. Have fun.

Way back in college, I was taught to read once for pleasure, and then again for analysis.

I want to read novels that pull me in, make me forget I'm even reading a novel. But on the second read, I turn on the other side of my brain and analyze.

Or used to. I rarely have to do this now, but it sure helped when I was starting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.