The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It appears that OG's Speculative Fiction is closing its doors for good after the upcoming issue.

Also, for those who missed it in the Rejection thread, Weird Tales has re-opened to submissions as of today.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
It appears that OG's Speculative Fiction is closing its doors for good after the upcoming issue.

Also, for those who missed it in the Rejection thread, Weird Tales has re-opened to submissions as of today.

Did you find something on the OG site to that effect? I saw the Duotrope announcement but a quick glance at the OG site on my
phone didnt show an obvious "we are closed" message.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a submission at OG's for about 75 days now. Yesterday I e-mailed the editor asking if it's being considered for the final issue or if I should withdraw it. No response yet. I wonder what the etiquette is on this in terms of how long I should wait for the response before considering a withdrawal.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know what's going on with Bards & Sages?

I sent them something about 140 days ago. I didn't get an acknowledgement, or anything. From the look of duo nothing much is happening there.
I sent a query, but haven't heard back from that either.

For all I know they never got it, or they did get it and Rd it months ago, but the response never reached me.

Anyone know anything?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I sent them something about 140 days ago. I didn't get an acknowledgement, or anything. From the look of duo nothing much is happening there.
I sent a query, but haven't heard back from that either.

For all I know they never got it, or they did get it and Rd it months ago, but the response never reached me.

Anyone know anything?

I've been keeping an eye on their Duotrope listing as well since I have a sub with them too (at 77 days). No movement there for some time. Let's see what their monthly e-mail newsletter (which usually goes out around the first of the month) says.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Newsletter???

Didn't know anything about that...

I'll go and see how to get one of them :)

Duh, I'm an idiot, aren't I?

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Lillie, I had something out there, but it turned out that it never arrived. When I queried, the editor got back to me very promptly to tell me they hadn't received it. It wasn't long ago, which gave me the impression that while they might be busy, they are still active. Julie Anne Dawson was very pleasant and helpful, and did not mind my query. (I'd waited until about 117 days after I thought I'd sent it.) I noticed they had a couple of different email addresses on their website. I sent my query to their email beginning 'fiction'.

Also, Julie said that they've been having trouble with attachments not getting through with yahoo and gmail addresses. I have a yahoo one. Good luck with finding out.

Cheers, Fihr

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm on gmail, so I'll prepare myself for the worst news.

There's not a lot I can do now. I queried through the address that it said on their web site, and all I can do is wait. Either for a response to the original sub, or the query.

Oh well. Lol. More waiting :D

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on Gmail and never had any issues with my previous submissions to them.

Lydia you can sign up for the newsletter on their web site. And if you do, you;ll get the PDF of the quarterly magazine for free as well.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Call me Lillie, on here at least :)
Lydia's just a writing name. I'm still not sure why I picked it.

I've signed up for the newsletter. Thanks! I don't know why I hadn't noticed that before. :)

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info

No, I'm at 116 days myself, though.

Let's see what their monthly e-mail newsletter (which usually goes out around the first of the month) says.

Like Lillie, I'll say "Newsletter?" and go sign up for it.

I've had a submission at OG's for about 75 days now. Yesterday I e-mailed the editor asking if it's being considered for the final issue or if I should withdraw it. No response yet. I wonder what the etiquette is on this in terms of how long I should wait for the response before considering a withdrawal.

A story that's been there that long I'd probably wait at least several days just to make sure it wasn't one that he was anticipating being part of issue 36. (No ToC announced yet, correct?) My 2-day submission I'm considering to be withdrawn, but I think those are two different scenarios.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Call me Lillie, on here at least :)
Lydia's just a writing name. I'm still not sure why I picked it.

I've signed up for the newsletter. Thanks! I don't know why I hadn't noticed that before. :)

Sorry about that. I somehow got it twisted in my head that Lillie was a forum name and Lydia was the real name. See -- the Lydia alter-ego is already taking over!!! :evil

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Good luck with that!

If I think of a title I'll let you know :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From what people suggested so far, I'm leaning toward "UFO":

Unidentified
Funny
Objects

Thoughts?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I'll be editing a pro-paying anthology and it needs a name!

http://alexshvartsman.com/2012/05/29/help-name-an-anthology/
:e2woo:
Love ya for this, Alex. :D

From what people suggested so far, I'm leaning toward "UFO":

Unidentified
Funny
Objects

Thoughts?
Hmm, that works--a little on the cutesy side and I've heard it before, but it works. I did like one person's suggestion on the blog "laughSFantastic" since it cleverly inserts SF while implying fantasy.

Another suggestion: Loony Side of the Moon (for the Pink Floyd fans :tongue)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I'm no good with names, but I love the sound of a humorous sci-fi collection. I might not usually write humour, but I'll be reading it! Good on you, Alex.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no good with names, but I love the sound of a humorous sci-fi collection. I might not usually write humour, but I'll be reading it! Good on you, Alex.

Thank you. And I hope you still feel the same when we get this to Kickstarter later in the year :)