The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
The kickstarter for the upcoming anthology "Temporally out of Order" has reached its funding goal, and that means submissions guidelines are now available! In brief, the editor wants stories of no more than 7500 words on the theme of some piece of technology or gadget being 'temporally out of order.' So a phone that makes calls to the 1920s, for example, or a fax machine that gets messages from the future. There are 7 open slots now, with more possible if more funding comes in. Pay rate is 5c a word+royalties, again subject to rise if more people fund it.

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
Lore just announced on FB and their site that they're closing :( This is particularly sad for me since they were my first ever sale.

It is with a heavy heart that we make this announcement. LORE will be shuffling back into its tomb and sealing the vault door behind it. Its brief time shambling the earth has brought us many memorable experiences, good friends, stunning artwork, and, of course, fantastic tales of horror, science fiction, and fantasy. To everyone who enjoyed LORE, helped us, supported us, contributed, and submitted, we are forever in your debt. Thank you all for a wonderful time. In closing, we leave you with a bit of verse, in no particular meter:
LORE is dead, as we've said before
so again
long live LORE!

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
Lore just announced on FB and their site that they're closing :( This is particularly sad for me since they were my first ever sale.

That's a bummer. There need to be more horror markets, not less! Sorry for the people who had subs there.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I pulled my submission from Ruthless Peoples after reading the first two stories that they published. I found both to be bad, and I also found one of them to be vaguely anti-Semitic.

I don't think the editor, who seemed like a nice guy, caught that. Nevertheless, I couldn't trust his taste and didn't want for my writing to appear alongside that sort of material.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
FYI: Rose Lemberg and Shweta Narayan, the editors of Stone Telling and "An Alphabet of Embers", have signed a pledge promising not to divulge personal information provided to them in submissions (e.g., the real names of authors that use pseudonyms): http://roselemberg.net/?p=1038. A few other editors also commented on that post to say they pledge not to release personal information of submitters as well, though I'm not as familiar with the rest of their projects.

(Context: in the SFF community, editor Nick Mamatas recently publicly linked an author's blogging name with their publishing name, the latter of which might also be their real name. This roused some controversy, hence the pledge.)

Last edited:

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back on the 'Sch00lb00ks and S0rcery' anthology by Michael Jones? I subbed a story a few months ago but hadn't heard anything since, and I'm now debating whether I should ping the editor.

Last edited:

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
AC- I got a 60 day or so personal a week ago, last I heard he was going through the shortlist and winnowing down.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
V1c--thanks for the update! I guess no news is good news at this point, then. :)

As an update to a prior post, the 'Temporally Out of Time' anthology reached a stretch goal on Kickstarter, so the pay rate there is now 6c/word. (I'm almost done with my draft of my submission for that market... really psyched about that one.)

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Plan B Magazine are trying to crowdsource going pro: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plan-b-magazine-year-three

Exciting for anyone who writes mystery/crime stories.

A worthwhile effort that I supported, but sad to report the fundraising didn’t meet its goals. A tiny bright spot, one of the donor perks, an omnibus paperback of every story Plan B Mystery Magazine published for two years, is available at Amazon.

Includes stories by AWers Aislinn Batstone, S.R. Mastrantone, and me, as well as by awarded short mystery/crime writers Patti Abbott, Nick Andreychuk, Craig Faustus Buck, B.V Lawson, Jed Power, and others.

Worth clicking the Amazon link above just to see the cool illustrated cover art.

Best wishes,
Peter DiChellis

PS – At 540 pages and two pounds, the paperback not only makes a great read, maybe you could use it as the murder weapon in your next mystery story!

Last edited:

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Peter -- Delighted you and other denizens are being anthologized by Plan B. Beats folded, spindled and so forth. I'm keen for books that can double as murder weapons.

Well, people -- I just heard about a call that might pull me out of short-fiction vacationland: http://submissions.johnjosephadams.com/queers-destroy-sf/submit/

Yes, John Joseph Adams' Lightspeed is doing Queers Destroy Science Fiction. And if their Kickstarter goes well, there could be Queers Destroy Fantasy and Queers Destroy Horror.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
That's really exciting!

Man, if Queers Destroy Fantasy gets funded I will submit so many things. So many.

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if anything has been posted about this yet, but the submission period for "This Patchwork Flesh" (Edited by Michael Matheson) has been extended until March 31st, 2015. QUILTBAG Horror, only open to Canadians. I only know about it thanks to Rose Lemberg, who recommended I send one of my stories there after she decided it wasn't the right fit for "Alphabet of Embers."

http://michaelmatheson.wordpress.com/this-patchwork-flesh/

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the magazines "Shades of Terror" and/or "Nameless Digest?" I stumbled across them on the Submissions Grinder, but when I went to submit some things to them today I found some things that concerned me.

I have a couple things I want to send to SoT, but not only do they appear to be brand new (I can't find anything they've published), but they've been mute on Twitter for over a month (and I can't find any other social media about them.) Does anyone know if they have a history, or if they still exist?

As for Nameless, the submission guidelines read weird to me:

We reserve the right to excerpt short pieces (not more than 500 words) of work (Fiction, Poetry, Nonfiction, Reviews) to be printed in the magazine on the Nameless website as a “teaser”; we assert the same right to display reduced-size images of pieces of art to be printed in the magazine for the same purpose.

*FICTION and*NONFICTION: Five cents ($.05) a word (except Interviews/Reviews and Poetry — SEE ABOVE) and one (1) E-Edition copy of the digest. Payment within 60 days of physical publication. Print Rights revert to Author upon physical print publication, though we may reserve the right to use the story or*nonfiction*piece in a “Best Of” collection at a later date; Electronic Rights are reserved for a longer term. [...] We ONLY PAY for items that are in the printed digest (unless noted otherwise), but are pleased to keep items excerpted for the website indefinitely.

+Written SUBMISSION UPDATE – Due to the high volume of good submissions, we now have an alternative to rejecting a story, as follows: Effective immediately, if the story is CONDITIONALLY ACCEPTED, we will offer to use the complete piece in the fiction (or nonfiction) section of the NAMELESS website at a reduced rate of $.02/word (to be displayed indefinitely, and payable within three weeks of online publication; we ask for exclusive online/print Rights for four months if you agree); we also reserve the right* to keep it in contention for our future book series, THE BEST OF NAMELESS.

This reads to me like they could take a 500-word excerpt of the story, post it on their site, and then not pay the author anything because it didn't wind up published in full, either in print or online. Am I reading this right?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I believe that just mean they have a limited promotional right to the work they have contracted beyond the normal first print/electronic rights.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aggy is right. They are talking about pieces they purchase for publication. It's pretty standard for a contract to specify a number of words or a percentage of the story the anthology/magazine can put up on the web for free. 500 words is quite reasonable.

I've never submitted to either market, but I heard Nameless takes forever to respond, and I haven't really heard anything about SoT at all.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
SoT rejected me. . .but with a name that was neither my name nor my pen name (although one could squint and almost see how that name fit in with things) so I wrote them off.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
The Temporally Out of Order anthology just closed its submissions. They reported getting over 100 submissions, of which they will choose 7.