A December to Dismember--500 words/day, all genres welcome

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Awesome words Iamwriter and Saoirse.
Shara, great job on the editing!
Ken, you;ll have to tell us all about car bombs.
Liz, I would think art inspires art and the Nutcracker should most definitely bring a word or two to mind later.

I got only a blog post, about 350 words so far BUT the day is still young. :Sun:

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't done anything since last post, thanks to being pretty ill with a cold. But I planning a little writing sesh tonight as I've got time to myself.

Good work everyone on your words though!

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Ken, you;ll have to tell us all about car bombs.

From WikiPedia:

An Irish Car Bomb is an American beer cocktail that is drunk as a bomb shot, similar to a boilermaker. It is made with Irish stout, Irish cream, and Irish whiskey.[1]
To make the drink, whiskey is floated on top of Irish Cream in a shot glass, and the shot glass is then dropped into the stout. Once mixed, it must be drunk quickly because it will curdle.[2][3] While Kahlúa was part of the original recipe, it is often excluded from the drink today. Some refer to that original recipe as a Belfast Car Bomb.[4][5][6][7]
The "Irish" in the name refers to the drink's Irish ingredients; typically Guinness stout, Baileys Irish Cream, and Jameson Irish Whiskey. The "car bomb" refers to the fact that the drink is a "bomb shot" and also to the many car bombings that took place during the Troubles in Ireland. For this reason, the name is sometimes deemed offensive and some bartenders refuse to serve it.[8][9][10] The drink is popular in the United States,[10] but virtually unknown in Ireland, and ordering it there is likely to cause confusion or offense.[8][9]
This Irish Car Bomb is thought to have been invented in 1979 at Wilson's Saloon in Norwich, Connecticut.[10]

You asked.

:evil

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't say the drink is unknown in Ireland, Ken, but we don't call it a car bomb (for obvious reasons.:D) I can't remember what the kids call it nowadays, but it is quite fashionable - disgusting, but fashionable.

Switching off the internet on Saturday worked. I managed 1,789 words. Now I just have to decide whether I'm going to keep 'em.:Shrug:

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Glad you liked that, Lucie. :D

muse, I have to agree, quite disgusting. Messy too. Congrats on the wordage.

Some today, slow for a Monday at the day job. Have 852 words so far today, and wrapped up two scenes! Almost done with this chapter, and hope to have two or more completed before the first of the year. Goal now is to top 30k on the WIP before January 1.

Current WC - 24724 <5276> for 30K Piece of cake. ;)

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
1075 words for me today.

VERY proud of myself. Really enjoyed writing this scene too and don't think it is that bad - well my inner editor wasn't screaming at me too loud today.

Guess I work better with a cold...hmm.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Hi. I think I entered some kind of time warp, since it's been over a month since I posted here. One thing I've discovered, I can't write when people are remodeling my house. Now that all the hammering and sawing is (almost) done, I hope to get back to work.

Hello, all the new people who've joined. Looking forward to getting to know you!

Hello to all the old people who vaguely remember me. I need to draft someone to hunt me down and drag me back when I go AWOL. This thread keeps me on track.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Hi. I think I entered some kind of time warp, since it's been over a month since I posted here. One thing I've discovered, I can't write when people are remodeling my house. Now that all the hammering and sawing is (almost) done, I hope to get back to work.

Hello, all the new people who've joined. Looking forward to getting to know you!

Hello to all the old people who vaguely remember me. I need to draft someone to hunt me down and drag me back when I go AWOL. This thread keeps me on track.

Remind me, who are you again? :tongue

Seriously, glad to see you back. It has been a while, thought you got lost. Next time we'll send up a signal flare.

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
6 924 words in 3 days. Am pleased with that, although I feel very slow.
I have one more day of my days off/write-in, so will get some words in tomorrow as well. Am about to start chapter 5.
Feels good to have gotten started, it will make it easier to continue when I bring my laptop with me on Christmas vacation - which is in only two weeks time! Yay! :hooray:

Looks like it's going well for several of you in here. Great job!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Nice to meet you, BfloGal!! This thread keeps me moving, too. :D

Nice wordage MsDashwood, Ken, and muse!!

IAMWRITER - Same here on the scene I just rewrote. Been trying to ignore my IE.

1,419 words on the above-mentioned rewritten scene. I never do that while drafting, but it kept niggling at me, and I think this version is so much better. :D

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
1295 today. Still not done with this chapter. I'm starting to think of chunks of story as sections, not chapters, so I get less hung up on word count. It's avant-garde! That's the ticket! I'm doing it like this on purpose!

Hi again, BfloGal! :hi:

Great words, everybody - and MsDashwood, that's a fabulous count!

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Great words, everybody - and MsDashwood, that's a fabulous count!
Is it? In 3 days?
I get so annoyed with myself for procrastinating so much. I have quite a detailed outline and I know where I'm going all the time, what scene, what I want to describe -- but I sit there a long time before getting one sentence out. Then I wait again, for the next sentence. Then I have to get up and walk around a little or watch TV for a few minutes before I continue --
I could be so much more efficient if I just wrote.
Trying to minimize the wasting of time, but I'm not there yet.
(This is just a first draft.)

Good luck with the chapter!
Yes, perhaps one can get too hung up on word count.

Good job on fixing that scene, Saoirse. Sometimes they just won't leave us alone. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Is it? In 3 days?
I get so annoyed with myself for procrastinating so much. I have quite a detailed outline and I know where I'm going all the time, what scene, what I want to describe -- but I sit there a long time before getting one sentence out. Then I wait again, for the next sentence. Then I have to get up and walk around a little or watch TV for a few minutes before I continue --
I could be so much more efficient if I just wrote.
Trying to minimize the wasting of time, but I'm not there yet.
(This is just a first draft.)

Two things I think:

1. Writing is a lot like exercise. You need to ramp up into it - you can't suddenly produce 5K words a day when you've been doing 500 (at least not consistently). For myself, I doubt I'll ever top 2K a day.
2. Putting the words on paper is just one piece of writing, and how big a piece it is depends on the writer (and sometimes the specific scene). Thinking (and sometimes TV :D) is also necessary.

I can't say what works for anyone else, but for me it's far more useful to commit to writing daily - really setting aside time to focus, and writing daily - than to deal with word count. Word count will get there. (And then comes the editing, when I take bunches of words out again!)

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Oooh, hunting. I can do that!:troll

Welcome back, BfloGal

No words for me today. But great wordcount everyone else.:Jump:

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Got 437 words and then my brain gave in. Meh. Wanted a lot more. Tomorrow is another day, though.

That's nothing to sneeze at, OSG. Words is words. :D

I didn't do much more. Got in 450 after lunch and wrapped up the chapter on a bang, literally. Brings the WIP to a milestone WC of 25174! :D Only 5K more to hit my goal for the month.

MsDashwood, hitting just under 7K words in three days is awesome! My average is maybe 5K in three days. As for taking a break every now and then, I find it helps me, especially when I get stuck. I either watch a little mindless television, put on some good Classic Rock, go for a walk, or hit my favorite pub for a few pints. When I get back to it, I find my mind is ready to go to work.

EDIT: Just pounded out another 554 words on the next chapter in under an hour, bringing today's total to 1004 and the WIP total to 26178! :D

Oops! Long day. Messed up the math. Should be 25728! My bad.

Last edited:

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Today, I managed 743 words.

Happy with this and I'm finally getting back into my WIP after a very unproductive month last month.

Everyone else, good words too!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
1186 tonight. The end of my chapter/section is in sight. Yay!

I'm kind of burying myself in my WIP at the moment. Reality is about to shift all around me - I give notice at my current job on Monday, and I start the new job on January 7. Right now I'm in limbo, a bit, listening to people trying to plan things six months down the line, and realizing I won't be there for any of it.

For all I try to treat writing as a job, it really never stops being therapy.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Three chapters edited this morning in an early-morning writing session.

Eleven chapters to go. Feeling confident that I can finish this draft by the time the 2012 ends!

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com

Eleven chapters to go. Feeling confident that I can finish this draft by the time the 2012 ends!

Nice going, Shara! Rooting for you to finish the draft! :e2cheer:

Got 723 shiny new words on the WIP this morning before lunch, and hoping to get at least that many this afternoon. Just wrapped up a tough scene with Kelli, tons of dialog. She almost got herself blown up! :eek:

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For all I try to treat writing as a job, it really never stops being therapy.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Liz.

Got 723 shiny new words on the WIP this morning before lunch, and hoping to get at least that many this afternoon. Just wrapped up a tough scene with Kelli, tons of dialog. She almost got herself blown up! :eek:
Great wordage, Ken. Do tell...what has Kelli been up to this time?

You can do it, Shara. :poke:

Awesome words everyone.

I posted in the wrong thread. Apparently I have no brainz today. But I got 797 words that I actually *like.* :D
Yay for words you like. ;)

Today, I managed 743 words.

Happy with this and I'm finally getting back into my WIP after a very unproductive month last month.

Everyone else, good words too!
Sounds like you're back in the groove, IAW.:hooray:

Yesterday was a washout for me, today I'm hoping to do better (Hark at me, master of understatement.:D)

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Today, 1021!

These past few days have been really good to me. Feeling a lot more motivation to write and finally getting somewhere. Tomorrow, I'm going to finish this chapter I'm on and hopefully move onto the next. I'm loving this December!