Rejectomancy

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
21-day personal R from DSF. The story has been getting good feedback, so maybe it will have better luck at the next market.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Ouch, all.

My Friday the 13th:

114 day form R Fearful Symmetries
100-day form R Tor -- with the send us more line that they reportedly don't always say. I'm open to hope.
26-day form R EQMM

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sympathies, all.

I, too, had a form R from Crossed Genres. Now I must search for somewhere else that has not yet rejected that story... (which I still like!)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
16-day R from Untied Shoelaces for a reprint. Per his response, he doesn't care for fairy tale re-tellings.

House Steel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so happy 'cuz I just got a form rejection from a short story I submitted.

It was the first thing I've ever submitted anywhere and I wasn't even expecting to get a reply :D

I guess I've got to aim for a personalised rejection now.

SEHandler

Registered
Reaction score
Nice personal rejection from Eggplant asking for more. A critical personal rejection from Shimmer magazine. Going somewhere? Hope so.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I've got to aim for a personalised rejection now.

It;s important to remember that whether the rejection is form or personal does not always reflect on the quality of your work, or how close it came to being bought. Some markets never provide personal rejections, even to authors who sold to them multiple times in the past. Other markets almost always provide personal Rs.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
It;s important to remember that whether the rejection is form or personal does not always reflect on the quality of your work, or how close it came to being bought.
Also, some markets only give personals when there's a legitimate problem with the piece that they feel like commenting on, whereas a perfectly written story may be form R'ed because it's flawless but unsuitable.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Indeed. :D Acceptomancy doesn't appear to exist!

We are pleased to accept your story for publication.

Pleased? Pleased? What's that supposed to mean? Are they being sarcastic?! They are, aren't they! This is a pity sale, it doesn't count!

;)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com

Pleased? Pleased? What's that supposed to mean? Are they being sarcastic?! They are, aren't they! This is a pity sale, it doesn't count!

;)

Heh, you joke but I know that there have been times, usually after a long slew of rejections, where my first response to an acceptance letter is "What kind of sick joke is this?"

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score

;)

Yep, I practise acceptomancy too!

We liked your story/we really enjoyed your story = they didn't love the story, they just couldn't find anything better to fill the slot... yes, a sick and twisted art is acceptomancy ;)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
10-day form R from Unlikely Stories for their Cryptography Issue.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Heh, you joke but I know that there have been times, usually after a long slew of rejections, where my first response to an acceptance letter is "What kind of sick joke is this?"

Oh, I will readily admit that if the contract email comes separate from the acceptance email and it takes a while to arrive, I begin wringing my hands and imagining all the ways they may have sent my acceptance by mistake and are now trying to figure out how to break it to me. :tongue

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
70-day R from IGMS.

Sorry about the R. Was it from Edmund or Eric/Scott?

I'm sitting at around 120 days and have been told a month ago that the story is on Edmund's desk. Nothing to do but wait and bite nails now. And I'm running out of nails.