Query Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcmoto

New Fish; Only New to Board
Registered
Reaction score
I am so disgusted with query letters. I've written at least a hundred, I swear. I'm beginning to think it comes down to my genre and writing style as opposed to bad queries. I actually like writing them - it's an exercise in learning what's potentially wrong with my entire manuscript. I've rewritten a novel based on not being able to write a good query for it.

It just seems like the normal query critique sites are geared towards fantasy, science fiction, etc. And critiquing a fantasy query is much different than a literary one. So instead of getting helpful crit, which I crave, I get stuff like 'this is a novel??? It seems like this story could be written in 5000 words.'

I mean, can't all novels be written in 5000 words? Mine's novel length not because it's full of twists and turns or intricate worlds, but because it's full of character development and relationships.

Ugh. Just frustrated. Thanks for reading.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Jcmoto - Don't listen to comments like "this is a novel?" just ignore them. Some people comment to help, others comment to antagonize. In my experience, AW is very good for being the former. As for Query letters being different for fantasy than they are for literary - I am not sure about that. A query letter is a brief introduction to your work, as well as a very brief personal introduction.

I found it helpful, when I was writing lots of queries, to draft the best back-copy blurb for my book that I could manage, and then manipulate that for the various queries I sent.

Best of luck - if you post your query in the AW SYW thread, add a link to it in your signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.