Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Acclaimed writer and illustrator Debi Gliori has blogged about the online and offline bullying she encountered as a result of writing a book about the Tobermory Cat--a book her publisher asked her to write.

She's been Twitter-stalked, Twitter-hacked, her Wikipedia page has been repeatedly edited, libraries where she was due to give readings have been warned about her, and a Facebook page was started in which it was claimed that she and her publisher had stolen the concept from an unpublished artist--who has now self-published his own book.

The FB post from 9 October seems particularly rabble-rousing to me.

Let's just take a breath here. What was this about? Yes. A cat. A cat. A cat book for children. Yeah. I know. Me too. It makes me feel something close to despair.

I thought this shows how self-righteous people can become when they don't understand copyright law or the creative process, and have an overabundance of self-entitlement too. It's a pretty nasty story too, and it seems to me that this sort of thing is becoming more and more common; or is it just that I'm noticing more of these stories as they proliferate across the internet?

Note: Ms Gliori's book is available soon, I think, and as a direct result of this nastiness I intend to order a few copies to give as Christmas presents, which seems to me an elegant way to show my support.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Debi is a wonderful human being as well as a brilliant illustrator and writer. I hate to see something like this happening to anyone, but it hurts a little more when it's someone I've met and got acquainted with. (And sad to say, this isn't the first of my acquaintences and friends to have this happen.) Grrrr.

I, too, will be sure to buy a copy of the book as soon as it's available.

Last edited:

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Well, the troll has done ONE good thing. Without this controversy I might never have heard of this book. It sounds amazing though, and the pictures posted look beautiful. I will definitely be trying to get a copy for my little munchkin as soon as it's available.

As for the Troll himself, he seriously sounds like he's just a bit unhinged. I mean seriously. A Facebook page? He hadn't even painted the cat or something? Not that having done a painting of the cat would have entitled him to the cat's name forever and ever either. It's not like you can copyright titles. Or ideas.
I did like what Ms. Gliori had to say to the artist about ideas, and how the more you give them out the more they come back to you 10-fold. And if you try to hold onto them and suck the life from them, they'll eat you alive.

Just. Ugh. This whole story makes me sick to my stomach.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Good grief. Cats in children's books! Of course this person feels ripped off! No one's ever done cats in children's books before!!!

Shall we make it wear a hat? Shall we make it big and fat? Shall we make the fat cat flat, or make him lie upon his mat?

(please tell me this doesn't require a sarcastic smiley)

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
It saddens me to see yet another victim of cyber predation. Ms.Gliori has my deepest sympathy for having to endure this viciousness, and I wish I could afford to buy dozens of her books for the local Angel Tree.

Yes, OH, there is a proliferation of cyber-bullying across the internet. It is a medium that lends itself so very well to groupthink. Bullies such as that Artist know this and, having whipped their followers into an emotional frenzy, they sit contentedly in the center of the webs they created to watch those followers go out to wreak further havoc.

Cyber bullies are among predators of the worst sort in my opinion: They are not content to prey only on the object of their attack; they cannibalize their young--their followers. They know those in the throes of groupthink are without the perspicacity to analyze and ask what information they’re lacking in order to formulate an informed opinion. They know it, and they count on it.

I wish I could pity his followers their victimhood, but I can't. They were active participants. Ms. Gliori, though, does have my sympathy and my deepest hope that she comes out the victor in this with her reputation not only intact but shining anew.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The "Artist" does sound pretty unhinged. What Debi Gliori had to go through is sick. She sounds like the sweetest person who tried to reach a common ground where everybody wins, but was foiled by a manipulative attention ho. I fail to understand why the "Artist" didn't see Ms Gliori's book as a chance to forge an alliance with an established writer/illustrator...surely her book would only make the Tobermory Cat even more famous, which would mean more page views and Likes and even more sales of his own book?

yayeahyeah

Registered
Reaction score
Have seen a fair bit about this on Twitter today - vile behaviour, both from the 'artist' and from the rabble he's roused up in support. I feel really sorry for Debi Gliori, who I don't know but sounds like a really sweet person, for everything she's been through.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Some people need sympathy. Some need help. And some just need a resounding 'fuck off'.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the world needs *more* books about Tobermory cats. Whole anthologies of them by a dozen authors in different genres with their own ideas of how the cat could star. Especially those with their own Facebook pages and Twitter accounts.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Maybe the world needs *more* books about Tobermory cats. Whole anthologies of them by a dozen authors in different genres with their own ideas of how the cat could star. Especially those with their own Facebook pages and Twitter accounts.

Let me know where to sign up.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
So sad - the Artist could have made a mutually beneficial, strategic link that would not only help him and the Writer, but the entire municipality. Instead, he had to be litigious and foolish.

When I get a little extra money in, I'm buying two copies of this book - one for me and one for my local library.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score

Let me know where to sign up.

I don't have Facebook or Twitter, but I can write a story. Can't promise it'll be good though.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
What a giant bag of shite.

Poor Gliori - her books are amazing - her Pure Dead series is all kinds of fabulous.

Getting stalked and harassed like that isn't a nice experience, and personally, if I were her, I would be taking all the evidence, screenshots, print outs and names of witnesses to my solicitor.

Here's the thing that some folks need to realise - you can't claim 'ownership' of a story like that - I mean, if you could then there would only ever have been ONE book written about WW2, and ONE book written about Jesus, and ONE book written about Henry VIII, and ONE book written about..... see where I'm going with this.

If you could 'own' an idea based on actual history or events then we wouldn't have any historical novels or films.

Looking at it another way, the guy is an artist - is he painting scenes that have been painted by other artists in the past? If so, by his own logic, isn't he stealing their ideas?

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
That poor woman! How vile. I hope this blows over quickly.

(And goddamnit, as an artist, you're supposed to outgrow the preciousness of ideas by the time you're out of college. Ideas are EVERYWHERE. They're not special. They're as common as mosquitoes and as easily bred.)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
God. This is beyond the pale. Not as surprising as I'd like it to be.

Also, I keep picturing a somewhat demonic hybrid every time I read this thread title. "Cat-Troll! I can haz sock puppitz?"

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com

My evil, vindictive side thinks this should happen. Also, I have facebook and Twitter, and would TOTALLY write a story about a Scottish cat. I dunno how good it would be, but I'd put out my very best work!

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
This is so very sad.

So writing a children's book about a (specific) stray cat is now considered a crime by teh interwebz? Just because someone has a Facebook page up? News flash: the world doesn't revolve around Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.