Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon Cantina!

My day was an utter waste. We got out of work an hour late and by the time I got home, it was already light, so I didn't fall asleep right away like I usually do. I had to go sleep in the basement and didn't wake up until 2:30. So yeah, I pretty much accomplished nothing.

I'm currently watching The Men Who Built America. These guys were terrible human beings. Here in Pittsburgh we have buildings and parks dedicated to Andrew Carnegie and Henry Frick. Both were bastards, especially Frick. He's essentially the one to blame for the Johnstown flood. He knew the dam was weakening, but instead of reinforcing it, he had it lowered just because he couldn't fit his carriage across. Not to mention he gained most of the his wealth through violence and intimidation.

Well, enough of the impromptu history lesson.

5:00 pm and it's already getting dark. *sigh*

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
How about:

Your essay is a metaphor for life; it starts off feebly, then becomes arrogant and self-centered in the second paragraph. After resigning itself to never fully answering the argument, it then ends with a whimper.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
See, the thing is, with preaching, you can either fight back or walk away.

Not so much with my singing, which is LOUD. I trained for the opera, remember. My children swear that my singing was actually outlawed by the Geneva Convention as a crime against humanity, but nobody was brave enough to tell me! :D

ETA: even my younger daughter, who only hears a few things, will come from the back of the house and say, "Mama, please, for the love of God, stop singing!" when I'm feeling in particularly full voice! :D
Sounds like what my mum does. Puts on old music really loudly downstairs then walks around the house screeching singing along with it.

It's one of the many reasons I hate living here.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about:

Your essay is a metaphor for life; it starts off feebly, then becomes arrogant and self-centered in the second paragraph. After resigning itself to never fully answering the argument, it then ends with a whimper.

I like it, but they wouldn't get it and I'd have to explain it.

Like when I make Monty Python references.

:D

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
This essay would be greatly improved by a dramatic use of cowbell in the third paragraph.

You conclusion has divided by zero. Please fix before you break the universe.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Congrats. You have made me wish for plagiarism."

"Let us discuss the merits of this essay tonight, over dinner."

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
So, basically, my short was accepted.

:snoopy: So awesome!!

Ok, so...

Who wants to give out some grades? You don't have to actually look at things, just shout out some random grades and I'll put those on my students' papers.

'Cause I am so not in the mood to do anything else with them, yet I must.

:Lecture:

So I was just going to throw out random numbers and letters and then others had to get all creative and stuff. Like this:

How about:

:roll: I just fell out of my chair on that one. :D

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Although since the potty training of Little K is still new I opted to stay home with him today.
This little war is happening here as well. Pee Pee is fine, no problem. Poo poo? Nope, no way no how, I ain't gonna do it.

Just try a little, sit there for a minute.

NO!

But your pants get icky right?

yeah?

So do it here, your pants won't get icky.

NO!

This happened to me too. I still have about 6K of a WIP in there that I can't get out unless I download actual Scrivener :D

If you email it to me I can compile it for you and send it back to you in .doc format. I promise not to peek. Much. :D
I was gonna suggest this, but I was asleep and you beat me to it :)

So, basically, my short was accepted.
YAY! Bouncy party!

Ok, so...

Who wants to give out some grades? You don't have to actually look at things, just shout out some random grades and I'll put those on my students' papers.

'Cause I am so not in the mood to do anything else with them, yet I must.

:Lecture:
3. 3 is a good number.

Oh no, no choices.

I just want to see what you'll randomly throw out there, and am perfectly willing to put "This was puce" or "Needs more dopamine" in the comments section of their papers.

Seriously, I don't want to be grading right now.
I know this feeling well. There is no hell on earth like grading large numbers of ESL essays.

Though, occasionally you do get really funny things as well that make it all okay.

E.G. Let's corporate together.

or

One of the best things about playing sports is it helps you reflesh.

I point out, they are Middle Eastern and Asian ESL students.

Although anymore, I'm not entirely convinced that would make any difference.

:D

See above :)

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to admit something to y'all. I've given up on the potty training for now. I thought Little K was ready but I've come to realize he's not. So I'm putting a hold on it until January. We've got a lot of traveling coming up the next two months so we'll wait until life is back to normal in the New Year.

And I was going to be so proud to have him all trained by the time we went to Georgia for Christmas. Oh well.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening Cantina. Back to work tomorrow <sigh> and no more leave this side of Christmas.

Looks like I have a big part in AtCT - thanks Ali. I hope I can live up to the role!

I thought about our recent conversation about the varieties of Aussie accents when I saw Julia Zemiro on QI this week and also The Sapphires today, which has just opened in UK cinemas - enjoyed it quite a bit, by the way.

Yay for the story sale, 10s. We need all the short-fiction writers we can get, so write and submit the next one!

Hope everyone is well and :Hug2: if you need one.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
And in other news, new PC has crashed after just over a month, so back to the manufacturer's it goes tomorrow, that's what return-to-base warranties are for. I'm currently using the very slow old one.

It's coming up to midnight here, so with that I wish the Cantina goodnight.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats 10!

Details?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, 10! :hooray:

For those looking for a little motivation on the writing thing, if you aren't already aware, every week on Sunday nights* at 9:00pm Eastern (a little over an hour and a half from now) the AW Chat FLASH FICTION CHALLENGE starts.

If you haven't been on the AW chat before, instructions are here. I like Chatzilla as a client, personally, but there are many available.

The prompt is posted on AW at 9:00pm, and although many folks start it right then, you can do it pretty much anytime all week if you want, although as soon as you've seen the prompt you have 90 minutes to write and then post your flash fiction piece. The FFC is hosted under the Writing Exercises, Prompts, &etc. headliner and is password-protected.

The cardinal rule is that no one says what the actual prompt is in chat, so as not to spoil it for those who start late. It's a great exercise to get the writing juice flowing, and it'd be awesome to see more folks join in. :)

(* your local time may vary)

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Congrats, 10! :)

This f-ing 3k has gotten harder and harder every day. And today was a dreaded dinner scene. Why are they so f-ing hard? And I don't know if I accomplished all I wanted or all I could have.

I am making a pot of beans. I have yet to make a successful pot of pinto beans, like, ever, so we'll see how this goes.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend should have been home over two hours ago. I have no idea what's taking her so long.

Also, I should have had supper ready at the same time. I do have a good idea of what's taking that so long. Writing and fangirling. Guess I better get started on that...don't know how long she's going to be.

... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.