Gore Publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkvampiredrake

Master of Tiny Mistakes
Registered
Reaction score
In a cave under a rock. A really big rock.
Website
www.pagesofblood.com
Does anyone know of any agents/publishers who will actually take works with a strong gore element? I know, it's a really tough sell, but that's why I'm asking people with a lot more experience than I have. I've looked around, but they're really hard to find. I've gone through so many databases that it hurts to look at them, but it never seems like enough.

I have one work of fantasy with a small side of horror and definite gory moments (main character is a predator), and another story that's full fantasy/horror (main character tortures people). The violence is a key part of their personalities and ties into the message and struggles of the story, so I'm very reluctant to take it out. It fits right into the continuity of the story and having it graphic feeds into the conflict of the characters. I already wrote both stories, too, so now I'm trying to dig up someone who might be willing to take them on. I've just exhausted all my resources. Anything helps. Thanks

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you'll want to target presses that accept horror fiction, yes?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're asking. There's a lot of gore in it--like, torture, as you said. Okay. What agencies/publishers are you looking at that expressly don't want the gore? Even the non-horror urban fantasy I've read can get pretty grisly.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
It this for novel length fiction? A lot of the bizarro markets are not squeamish about gore. The ones that come to mind are Deadite Press, Raw Dog Screaming and Eraserhead. But they may be more "bizzare" than what you are looking for. However, if you dig around on their sites you can find out who they hang out with and it could lead you to something.

Also, think of writers who are like you. Look up who their publishers and agents are. Who writes the kind of gore you do? Who reps them?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Gore elements do not make it horror. If it's otherwise fantasy and happens to be about a predator who tortures people, there's no reason to sell it as anything other than Fantasy.

Gene Wolfe's Shadow of the Torturer is definitely fantasy and definitely gory.

Last edited:

Darkvampiredrake

Master of Tiny Mistakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pagesofblood.com
My biggest problem here is that I don't actually read horror (although I seem to write it pretty well). It's probably some sin with most writers, but I don't do very well going to bed if I don't know where everything is going, yada yada. I can't call any of the publishers to mind that I looked at who didn't accept gore because I don't add them to my list, but I think about a third of all publishers I've looked at who take dark fantasy and horror all made it very clear that they specifically don't want anything with straightforward gore, and nobody else seems particularly thrilled with it. Kinda like how a lot refuse erotica unless they're specifically tailored to it. The two seem to go hand in hand as far as publishers who won't take them goes.

Soapdish, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'm not sure if I'd really say 'bizarro', but I'll very definitely look at them in the morning and search out the connections. I seem to have difficulty finding other writers who work with gore, but I have yet to start looking through this forum a bit more clearly.

And Jenn, just to clarify where I was a bit ambiguous, I'm not claiming the fantasy was horror because of the gore. It actually does have a number of psychological elements in it. I will definitely look at Wolfe, though.

I'm really just looking for more names to add to my list. I do have a number down already, but they all have a fair reason to reject me even without my casual relationship with anatomy (something about an unreasonable 200K word count), so I'm trying to find as many names as possible, through sources I haven't yet discovered. Thanks for the replies so far. I'm just a new, lost writer trying to find some more leads.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might also look into publishers that take splatterpunk.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^I was going to suggest splatterpunk, except for the fantasy element. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've gotten the impression splatterpunk is more urban/contemporary than what the OP is describing.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
200K first book is gonna make it hard for people to take a chance.

Maybe use the coming weeks to quickly modify little bits into short stories/flash fiction and submit to a few free and semi-pro markets. Having one thing already published by a legitimate webzine already creates a precedent in your favor.

Back in the day that's how it went with me: a short story opened the door to a novella, and the novella opened the door to the novel. As the trail of publications, no matter how miniscule, grew, each consecutive publisher felt increasingly confident that my stuff wasn't a waste of their time.

Concerning the actual query: Submission Grinder and Ralan. Dark Markets too. Make a list of dark fantasy and horror publishers who have no upper wordcount limit, or whose wordcount limit is 200K or more, and go get them. I used the search option of the grinder to put in 'fantasy' '200000 words' and 'electronic submission'. Samhain Publishing came up both for this and for 'horror'.

But there are others too, but you have to research them personally. The smaller indie epubs will most likely be more open to a 200K book by an unknown. They have much less to lose than the ones with the printing runs and shelf space investment people. For example I see MuseitUp take horror and dark fiction, and have no specific upper wordcount limit. Etopia Press too. Zharmae consider 200K on 'case by case basis'. Phase5publishing are OK with all lengths. Probably a dozen more at least, if you take the time to research.

It's up to you to convince people you're worth taking the chance... Or, conversely, it's up to you to find an agent, who will do the convincing on your behalf.

Last edited:

Darkvampiredrake

Master of Tiny Mistakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pagesofblood.com
Wow. I hadn't had a chance until this morning to look up those suggestions you posted, Dondomat, but that is extremely helpful. I'd never heard of those, and the only databases I had ever found for publishers were Duotrope and Pred-ed. I will definitely put a lot more time into those and look for others.

Anyone know if Apex is going to be opening back up to submissions anytime soon? I'll definitely check out the book when I have some free time, but I don't want to get my hopes up too far if they're closed indefinitely. Thanks all, for the replies and suggestions. I'm still hanging around in the background and listening.

Narren

Registered
Reaction score
Check out Samhain, I think they do some gory stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.