Is Call of Duty Ruining Shooters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SampleGuy

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I met a fellow student at my game development class who thinks the Call of Duty games are ruining first person shooters. He thinks the stories are chopped up, and it limits the skill in game play. Plus he compares them to Destiny. I like Call of Duty, but there are many other shooters trying to become like it. What do you think?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The only time I've ever bought a Call of Duty game it was to kill zombies.

I wish there were more FPS RPGs.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Call of Duty led into the "hyper-paced" shooter that Battlefield has been carrying over IMO. I would say these are getting good for what they intend to be.

But they certainly aren't ruining shooters. There's some great shooting games out there that are complete opposites to Call of Duty, Battlefield, Titanfall, ect. But I will say that Call of Duty has seemed to be stuck in a rut that other games, like Battlefield and Titanfall, have evolved from.

Oh, and Destiny is pretty much a online Halo with, IMHO, terrible story and campaign. Can't see how you can compare Destiny with Call of Duty when it's pretty much a evolution (or devolution) of Halo.

Last edited:

Craig McNeil

Sitting in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CraigMcNeil.com
CoD was a revelation when it was first released many years ago with its fast pace, realism and one shot kills. However, you could quite easily take the original CoD, tart up the graphics and release it as CoD 12 (or whatever number it is we're on now). It hasn't changed much at all. Having said that, I don't think it's ruining FPSs at all - it's simply one branch of the genre albeit a branch I got bored with a long time ago. If the new Doom game is like CoD except with demons then I'll come back here and agree with you!

SampleGuy

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
CoD was a revelation when it was first released many years ago with its fast pace, realism and one shot kills. However, you could quite easily take the original CoD, tart up the graphics and release it as CoD 12 (or whatever number it is we're on now). It hasn't changed much at all. Having said that, I don't think it's ruining FPSs at all - it's simply one branch of the genre albeit a branch I got bored with a long time ago. If the new Doom game is like CoD except with demons then I'll come back here and agree with you!

Id promised the upcoming Doom will be like the original Doom and Doom 2 with better graphics. And I agree there should be more FPS RPG games. Fallout 3 was one of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.