Last Movie You Watched...

StevenHarvey1990

Registered
Reaction score
Little Miss Sunshine

I had heard so many great things about this movie but for me it's not THAT good. I mean it's certainly a charming little movie, that even helps put the most sinister in perspective with a little dark humour... but for me it wasn't anything special.

All in all a really pleasant movie, well shot and acted but over-hyped in my opinion.

MikeCheck

Registered
Reaction score
Saw "Looper" last night. Interesting premise, cool ending, but parts of it definitely failed to hold my attention. I'd probably give it 3.5/5.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Parts 1 & 2--Brilliant and faithful adaptation of Frank Miller's Gotham masterpiece. It's all there. Carrie Kelly, Harvey Dent, the Joker, the Mutants, The Sons of Batman, Bats vs. Supes. President Reagan. Really great. I only noticed three minor scenes/lines missing tbh...which is amazing ("Why do you think I wear a target on my chest?", "Boy wonder, gotta be." and "Robin, stand up straight." Peter Weller as the voice of Batman. See it.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Resident Evil: Retribution on DVD. Freebie gift so I can't complain! Cleverly made fun romp if you can stand the gory superviolence that goes with the franchise. Usually whenever anyone mentions CGI it's in a negative way, too much, or too obvious, but quality levels here were high, it's a sharp, believable visual experience. Innovative opening sequence! Also, Jill Valentine, woo. Critics didn't like it much, but I did.

-Derek

StevenHarvey1990

Registered
Reaction score
Resident Evil: Retribution

I have to be honest, I hate this franchise on principle. Completely butchers the games appeal.

That said I love the over the top action sequences. This one is probably the best in that department too. I just wish Anderson would leave the script to someone else, his directing is great but his writing is abysmal.

Like dpaterso said, it's a fun little romp. If you want a compelling story or a movie that doesn't defy logic by all means look elsewhere.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Parts 1 & 2--Brilliant and faithful adaptation of Frank Miller's Gotham masterpiece. It's all there. Carrie Kelly, Harvey Dent, the Joker, the Mutants, The Sons of Batman, Bats vs. Supes. President Reagan. Really great. I only noticed three minor scenes/lines missing tbh...which is amazing ("Why do you think I wear a target on my chest?", "Boy wonder, gotta be." and "Robin, stand up straight." Peter Weller as the voice of Batman. See it.
---

Dear Ms. Annoying for 2013,

I agree with your assessment except for one thing:

Peter Weller.

Now, he did a fine job in Part 1 and I liked the story--it was also done (in a fairly toned down way) in Batman, TAS--but in Part 2, he sounded too robotic.

I really expected him to say "Come quietly or there will be...trouble".

Kevin Conroy IS the voice of Batman, but Part 2, sick as it was, was excellent. Lots of ultraviolence, but worth a watch.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Winter Passing. I'm surprised I'd never heard of it before. Zooey Deschannel was fantastic, and it was just a great movie. It also happens to be the only Will Ferrel movie I've never seen.

KarmaHead

Winston
Registered
Reaction score
Caught up with Looper and Sinister recently.

Looper was amazing, as I had anticipated, and I was pleased with Sinister for what it was. I convinced myself of the plot halfway through, and I came out 98% right, but I thought it was enjoyable.

Sadly they're already working around a sequel....

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
---

Dear Ms. Annoying for 2013,

I agree with your assessment except for one thing:

Peter Weller.

Now, he did a fine job in Part 1 and I liked the story--it was also done (in a fairly toned down way) in Batman, TAS--but in Part 2, he sounded too robotic.

I really expected him to say "Come quietly or there will be...trouble".

Kevin Conroy IS the voice of Batman, but Part 2, sick as it was, was excellent. Lots of ultraviolence, but worth a watch.

Fair enough. And yes, too Kevin Conroy. While, we're at it, I didn't love the Joker's voice. Would it have been to hard to call Mark Hamill?

And, btw, it's Ms. More Annoying for 2013. Thank you. ;)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Fair enough. And yes, too Kevin Conroy. While, we're at it, I didn't love the Joker's voice. Would it have been to hard to call Mark Hamill?

And, btw, it's Ms. More Annoying for 2013. Thank you. ;)
---

I stand corrected on the 'More Annoying' thing. I agree with your assessment of the Joker's voice but DiMaggio wasn't bad. He also did The Toyman in Superman: Doomsday. For this Batman and Batman, Under the Red Hood, he did Joker and while I prefer Mark Hamill, I think DiMaggio's take on it was acceptable.

Check your PM's, please.:)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Skyfall - Great, but weird. Somehow, I felt like I was invading 007's privacy in the last act, and felt more questions were left than were answered (but with very interesting suggestions in lieu) , but it set up and completed the reboot elements in a very interesting way. And, of course, Javier Bardem...just wow. I want him to play the Joker, should the Clown Prince of Crime return to the big screen anytime in the next decade.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken Run. Yes, Chicken Run. Somehow it was the only thing on worth watching. Not bad, actually.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
The Mummy. The original version, 1932, with Borith Karloff.

Excellent make-up, way ahead of its time. A little slow moving but well acted.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Don't Go In the Woods. Um... bad slasher movies should not be riddled with bad folk music. Run away.

Don't go out in the woods tonight
you probably will be thrilled
Don't go out in the woods tonight
you probably will be killed

There's a friendly beast
who lurks about
He likes to feast
and you won't get out
without being chopped up into little pieces!

Man, I haven't seen that for years. Can you believe it's a Video Nasty? Know 'em when you see 'em INDEED. :roll:

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching Gladiator for the first time ever at the moment. It's the director's cut, and so far I love it. Suddenly I'm glad Les Miserables gave me a fascination with Russell Crowe.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Rhoda's into Johnny, Rhoda's into Johnny...:D

It's okay, my wife's a huge Johnny Depp fan, too.

Watched 'How Green Was My Valley' and 'Manhunt' over the last couple of days. Excellent in every way. Walter Pidgeon wasn't the greatest actor around, but he had a very distinctive voice. I'd forgotten how good those films really were, old-fashioned in the best sort of way.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Rhoda's into Johnny, Rhoda's into Johnny*

*Was.

If he could steer clear of Tim Burton and Pirates for awhile, I might be into him again. But lately...eh...

Last watched: Following. Old black and white Chris Nolan movie about an author who shadows a professional thief to get information for his characters, and gets caught up in Intrigue for reals. Better than it sounds.

Capeless

Registered
Reaction score
Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps

Money may never sleep, but this put me to sleep quicker than a late night wank...

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Rhoda, I've been wondering if that movie was worth it.

Also, have you seen Depp in The Ninth Gate? It's a terrible movie, but he has some good lines.

I thought so. It certainly held my interest for the duration. Some twists are easy to see coming, but it's so well-acted and restrained I found it a compelling watch.

Indeed I have--first and last Roman Polanski film I ever watched. Very unsettling.