All The Writers You Love Probably Love Dorothy Dunnett

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This article definitely nails the impact that Dunnett has had on me as a writer of historical fiction. It seems a number of "genre" writers also feel the same way! http://www.npr.org/2014/12/27/371710986/all-the-writers-you-love-probably-love-dorothy-dunnett:

As I came to realize that the world of people who Knew About Lymond included a whole host literary idols, I felt at once ecstatic and curious. What was it about these melodramatic, dense, swashbuckling historical novels that had so held the attention of so many writers in so many genres? I began to feel that her greatest impact came in areas we often dismiss as pulp — maybe because writers in those genres are better able to understand the genius of her occasionally melodramatic excesses.

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
This article definitely nails the impact that Dunnett has had on me as a writer of historical fiction. It seems a number of "genre" writers also feel the same way! http://www.npr.org/2014/12/27/371710986/all-the-writers-you-love-probably-love-dorothy-dunnett:

I actually saw today (or yesterday) on Facebook that Diana Gabaldon read/loved/was influenced by DD. I don't read much HF, but given the love everyone has for Dunnett, I've put the Lymond Chronicles on my tbr pile.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Christian Cameron certainly sings her praises, but I've yet to check out her novels. I'm still on Rosemary Sutcliffe and Mary Renault :)

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Ah! So good. I only read the Lymond books recently, but they made a huge impact on me. You have to have patience, though. The first book takes a bit to get going, but after I got into it, I read all six books in like two months or something. Then I reread them all about a year later, certain that I had missed a bunch. Which I did.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Ah! So good. I only read the Lymond books recently, but they made a huge impact on me. You have to have patience, though. The first book takes a bit to get going, but after I got into it, I read all six books in like two months or something. Then I reread them all about a year later, certain that I had missed a bunch. Which I did.

I only read them a few years ago too. I think it's mostly The Game of Kings I like. The rest of the books are shoving how wonderful Lymond is down your throat a little too much. Also, he's pretty much Angsty McAngsty Pants in the later books in a way I can't stand. And you can feel its age in how the author treats the Turkish/Arab parts, and her treatment of sex and gender is problematic at its best (not because it depicts the 16th century but because she is pretty heavy-handed in revealing her own opinions).

But I love the richness of her worldbuilding and her use of poetry and quotes, and they are full of the loveliest melodrama. And as someone who loves overly verbose, slightly neurotic male characters of course I find Lymond appealing (when his head isn't so far up his own behind he can see his own pancreas). :D

ETA: I sometimes worry that one of my own characters is too reminiscent of him; not consciously but because of his backstory is sort of similar (which I blame on Real History) and he could also talk the paint off an Audi. But he isn't a hero type, more the villain. A likeable villain, admittedly, but a villain all the same. But he talks like he's a crossbreed of Peter Whimsey/Algernon Montcrieff/Albert Campion/Francis Crawford/Jasper Aspect and I can't help it. So, there. It's final. It's how he is. If he comes across as a Lymond knock-off, so be it. At least he's not blond!

Last edited:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I have only read King Hereafter, but I was totally smitten. I loved that book. It takes some patience to get into Dunnett's rhythm and style (she elides a lot of information, and you just have to skate over it and keep going), but it was utterly worth the effort. When I picked up the first of the Lymond books, I didn't have the patience at that moment to get into it. But I will give it another go.

So count me in the camp of historical fiction writers who like Dorothy Dunnett.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
I only read them a few years ago too. I think it's mostly The Game of Kings I like. The rest of the books are shoving how wonderful Lymond is down your throat a little too much. Also, he's pretty much Angsty McAngsty Pants in the later books in a way I can't stand. And you can feel its age in how the author treats the Turkish/Arab parts, and her treatment of sex and gender is problematic at its best (not because it depicts the 16th century but because she is pretty heavy-handed in revealing her own opinions).

Oh yeah I definitely agree. But for some reason, it really works for me. I don't know! It reminds me of The Count of Monte Cristo, or at least my reaction to reading that when I was a kid. Dantes is just a little TOO good at the game, a little too tortured, has everything just a little too under control at all times, but I read that damn book unabridged and loved it. It's probably odd that I like Count and the Lymond books so much, and that they've had such an impact on me, given that I would never write anything like that. I love an angsty romantic hero, but I would never write one.

ETA: While I think Dunnett has some huge problems with sexuality and race, I'm actually okay on her treatment of gender for the most part. The women in the Lymond books are, in my opinion, good examples of how to write strong women in historicals that don't read as too modern and don't need swords to be strong.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
(not because it depicts the 16th century but because she is pretty heavy-handed in revealing her own opinions).

!

I think we all do this, and only the writer doesn't realize it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I admit to liking her mysteries more than her historical, but she's a fine writer in both.