Passionate Friendship?

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I've looked, but have not been able to find much on them in the late Victorian period. I know they went out of fashion as they slowly became associated with homosexuality. In July I wrote a Gothic story that included passionate friendship and eventual FF romance between the MC and the friend she was close to and would like to work with the concept more. If you could direct me to more information on such friendships in the late 19th and early 20th century I would be grateful.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I've looked, but have not been able to find much on them in the late Victorian period. I know they went out of fashion as they slowly became associated with homosexuality. In July I wrote a Gothic story that included passionate friendship and eventual FF romance between the MC and the friend she was close to and would like to work with the concept more. If you could direct me to more information on such friendships in the late 19th and early 20th century I would be grateful.

Check out Between Women: Friendship, Desire, and Marriage in Victorian England by Sharon Marcus. Sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Check out the letters of Emily Dickinson. All of 'em, but especially those to her sister-in-law Susan Gilbert. Also, Mary Benson, best known as the wife of Archbishop Edward Benson. Between Women is a good starting point, with a solid bibliography.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Lillith,

I believe you are looking for the term "Boston Marriage" which was an more intense form of a romantic friendship. By the way, you should read Victorian New England writer, Sarah Orne Jewette, because she wrote a lot about women in "Boston Marriages." However, I would like to say that Boston Marriages were still taking place until the 1930s. Another writer highlighting Boston Marriages was Angelina Weld Grimké. Her heartbreaking work "Rachel" features an African American Middle class Bisexual woman who decided to live in Boston Marriage despite wanting children and a husband in 1915. This is because Rachel believes that by refusing to reproduce, she declines to provide her local Klansmen with black children who can be tormented with racist atrocities. This work is heartbreaking because it shows the character as well as the author longing for both man and female companionship. Plus, the racial/sexist elements can be very heartbreaking at times. Yet, Grimké shows a warm and loving romantic friendship between two middle class African-American women in 1915.

Here is this website about boston marriages:

http://www.glbtq.com/social-sciences/boston_marriages.html

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Lillith,

I believe you are looking for the term "Boston Marriage" which was an more intense form of a romantic friendship. By the way, you should read Victorian New England writer, Sarah Orne Jewette, because she wrote a lot about women in "Boston Marriages." However, I would like to say that Boston Marriages were still taking place until the 1930s. Another writer highlighting Boston Marriages was Angelina Weld Grimké. Her heartbreaking work "Rachel" features an African American Middle class Bisexual woman who decided to live in Boston Marriage despite wanting children and a husband in 1915. This is because Rachel believes that by refusing to reproduce, she declines to provide her local Klansmen with black children who can be tormented with racist atrocities. This work is heartbreaking because it shows the character as well as the author longing for both man and female companionship. Plus, the racial/sexist elements can be very heartbreaking at times. Yet, Grimké shows a warm and loving romantic friendship between two middle class African-American women in 1915.

Thorne, I'm not actually looking for Boston Marriage. By the end of the novella I mentioned, both the female characters become vampires. I did mean romantic or passionate friendship. But I do have a project I want to do in the future which does include Boston Marriage, so I thank you for the information. I find the many possible arrangements between women, and also between men extremely interesting.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
Lillith,

It might not have been what the OP needed, but thank you for posting this, M.N. Thorne. I had not heard of Angelina Weld Grimke, and she sounds like terrific inspiration for a character I'm working on right now. I've downloaded a copy of Rachel.

Lilith, sorry I can't help with your request, but I'm glad you asked the question, because I'm learning from your thread!

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
I am glad to help out:D

Thorne, I'm not actually looking for Boston Marriage. By the end of the novella I mentioned, both the female characters become vampires. I did mean romantic or passionate friendship. But I do have a project I want to do in the future which does include Boston Marriage, so I thank you for the information. I find the many possible arrangements between women, and also between men extremely interesting.