What are you reading?

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
This forum has ruined me for poor writing. You've inspired me to write better.

Same here. Before I started really writing and coming to this site, I glossed over bad writing usually and still enjoyed it if the story was good. But I had to hurl a book across the room yesterday because of terrible writing. It's ruined me. :p

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Relativity, by Albert Einstein.

The Pretty Little Liars series. Horrible writing, and the pacing is far too dragged, but the story buried under all that is excellent.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure of You, the sixth book in Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City series. Several reviewers had noted he'd dropped hints in the series pertaining to events in the eighth book Mary Ann in Autumn, and lo and behold one smacked me between the eyes early in the story.

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Vanity Fair for school, not enjoying it too much (it's just so long!) and A Great and Terrible Beauty for fun. Can't really say much about AGaTB because I've only read about one chapter because I've been too busy for my lit class reading, but I'll finish it eventually.

Jax3683

writing around the edges of life
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping to finish "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins tonight and start the third book, "Mockingjay" tonight.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Think of a Numb3r by John Verdon.
A lot of repetition, but I enjoy the suspense. Wonder if I'll be right about my suspicions as to who did it and why.

BjornAbust

Banned
Reaction score
I've just started Haruki Murakami's "A Wild Sheep Chase". I love his work, and I've read many of his novels. This one's an earlier work however, and I can tell; it isn't quite as well-written as his later stuff. Perhaps it'll catch its stride within the next few chapters.

I'm also working through the works of H.P. Lovecraft. As much as I love the guy, some of his works are exhausting to read.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
ASHES OF EDEN by William Shatner. No other author could get away with giving Captain Kirk erectile dysfunction. Don't laugh -- it's a plot point.

PIGS IN HEAVEN by Barbara Kingsolver was quite good. I rushed to the second-hand bookstore to get all her other titles.

MAN'S SEARCH FOR MEANING by Viktor Frankl, again. I have the PDF and read it often.

WHEN WE WERE ROMANS by Matthew Kneale. I'm still undecided. I highly recommend THE ENGLISH PASSENGERS by the same guy.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Almost finshed King and Straub's The Talisman. Also reading the third TimeRiders book (great YA series), and have just started Dark Hollow by John Connolly.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
just finished The Wars, by Timothy Findley. about WW I. Beautiful and Terrible. reminded me why I love Canadian Lit so much. If you read it, dont read the foreword. Great and terrible spoiler in it. It's a really good foreword so read it after. lol

To continue my canadian lit trip I'm about to start Three Day Road by Joseph Boyndon. Also WW I.

Kittenmay

Magical flying kitty
Registered
Reaction score
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. A coming of age story in a fantasy world. Amazing book.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Blood Rites by Jim Butcher on the ride home. Moving on to She is the Darkness by Glen Cook. Unless this one is better than the last, which was not interesting, this will proably be my last book in the Black Company series. I'm still enjoying the Garrett P.I. series, but those older books are so hard to find, since they're out of print.

dancingandflying

Is it tea time yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Citrus County by John Brandon and will start The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins tonight. I've heard so much good about this book--I'm so excited to read it! I mean, after seeing Hank Green's Katniss Everdeen's makeup tutorial, who wouldn't be? (High-five via rep point if you know what I'm talking about!)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How We Are Hungry by Dave Eggers, a collection of his short stories.

screamingturnip

Registered
Reaction score
A Rusian laguage book, german language and The Souls of Black Folks by WEB Du Bois.

Souls of Black Folks has great prose but it is really familiar.
I am also reading Republic by Plato. If there's not a car chase soon, I'm getting pissed.

dancingandflying

Is it tea time yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Hunger Games last night. I got one and a half hours of sleep because I was awake all night reading it! Worth it, though. Will start Skippy Dies by Paul Murray tonight.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . I am also reading Republic by Plato. If there's not a car chase soon, I'm getting pissed.
How long before we see The Republic of Zombies -- the zombie-enhanced edition of the classic.

Back on topic . . . I am still reading Henry James's What Maisie Knew. Not the easiest reading, but a remarkable book. Nearly two-thirds through it now. Poor Maisie.

--Ken

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the last story of Kurt Vonnegut's While Mortals Sleep, one of three (that I know of) posthumous compilations of Vonnegut's unpublished short stories.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell. I saw the movie and really liked it, thought the book would answer some questions I had.