I've joined the self-published ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Because they returned it doesn't mean they didn't like it. A lot of super fast readers read and return so they don't have to pay. It's kinda crappy but there it is.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Wow...that's crazy. It's not like the book was that expensive and they'd have to be really fast readers since Fiendish is at over 600 pages.

How many days does Amazon give for returns?

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Wow...that's crazy. It's not like the book was that expensive and they'd have to be really fast readers since Fiendish is at over 600 pages.

How many days does Amazon give for returns?

Another possible reason for the return is that some readers don't take time to read the blurb . . . then they get the book and realize it's not "their thing". I've read reviews that said, "I didn't read the blurb, and I thought this book would be different . . . "

Hang in there!

Prisoner24601

One Mouthy Broad
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to divine a reason for a return or two of your book will just lead to crazy making. If it's one or two (or a small percentage of your sales) it's probably not worth worrying about, since I suspect that a small number of returns is just normal.

However, if you start getting a lot of returns, then maybe you're going to want to take a harder look at your book blurb, your catagories, or even your actual writing, since that might be a sign of a bigger problem.

Last edited:

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
I've been selling on Amazon for 14 months now, and gotten returns every single month. This even though the sales price is $2.99. A 2% return rate is about normal. Don't be too concerned, it's just part of the process.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
@priosner24601-I'm trying not to stress over it. I don't need anything more to lead me down the crazy road. LOL I did just readjust my categories so I'll see if that leads to an increase or not. I just never thought to return a book, even if I didn't like it, but I guess it does happen.

@WriterBN--wow...that's crazy.

@LOTLOF--Thanks for that bit of info. So far my monthly sale numbers are still low, so hopefully I won't see many more returns, but anything can happen.

thanks for the responses.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
:) Thanks for the feedback on the returns. I've not tried to dwell on it and have been trying to focus on book 2. I'm hoping my concentration will return next month once my kiddies go back to school. :)

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
So again I'm happy to have numbers to report. They aren't gonna get me on any best seller lists anytime soon, but something is better than nothing.

I hosted a giveaway on Goodreads that ended on the 15th that generated some interest in my book. It's been added to a lot of TBR lists, around 400 or so. I'm hoping a few of those people actually get around to buy and reading it.

So far all the reviews have been positive. I don't have many, but the ones I have gotten are good so that makes me happy. :) I am participating in the site-wide sale on Smashwords, but that hasn't generated many numbers.

I never heard back from Fire and Ice blog tours, I'd emailed them with some questions. I have signed on to do a tour next month with Girl Hearts Books tour. An author friend of mine used them and had good things to say. Her prices were reasonable since my marketing budget is super low. Hopefully it'll give me a mini spike in sales next month.

That's about all for now.

Sales June 21-July 20

Smashwords-1
Barnes and Noble-2
Amazon-5

Totals

Amazon-26
Barnes and Noble-7
Smashwords-2
iTunes-3

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
So this has been my best month so far. :D

Yawatta Hosby aka AgathaChristeFan did an author interview of me on her blog. YAY for exposure! I did a blog tour organized by Girl Heart Blog Tours. It ran for a week and I got lots of exposure and some great reviews. That's always a plus. The tour was smooth with only 1 missed stop so I am over all happy with the experience in working with her. I also managed to have my book reviewed by one of the other blog review sites I'd contacted a while back. So far all the responses have been positive. That review site had a network of other bloggers that retweeted her review for a week so even more exposure there! :)

Every little bit helps and the extra exposure did manage to help me reach one small goal. I've wanted to get out of the 100 thousand + ranking, just for a day. I would have been happy with 99,999 just to lose that extra digit and I did. Highest (well lowest I guess) number I hit so far 74,155. Still far far off from being a best seller but I'm happy :D. My next goal to hit at least 100 total sales.

Now I'm trying to stop focusing so much on promoting Fiendish and put that energy towards book 2.

So the numbers
B&N was a bust this month. A big fat zero
Amazon-17 (with 1 return)
Smashwords-2
iTunes-1

Overall since release
Amazon-43
B&N-7
Smashwords-4
iTunes-4

Status
Not open for further replies.