Writers' Cafe / Anyone else have your book removed from KDP or Createspace without reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I recently had a book removed from Amazon without any actual reason being given; then when I sent an e-mail to the reply address it bounced back.

I've been e-mailing a reporter from a major US paper who is covering the Amazon Hachette stuff and one of the things he's interested to know is if this is an isolated event or if it's happened to anyone else???

My book wasn't an adult title, but I know some authors have had trouble with them--I think he'd be interested in those, as long as you were following Amazon's rules.

If anyone has had a similar problem, please reply or PM me.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Never. Six books and counting over three years. Similarly with the B&N versions of them.

I just looked at what you've published on Amazon, over a dozen books, and can see no reason why any of them would be dropped. It sounds like a random glitch.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would be astounded if it was related, a lot of stuff goes on with Kindle listings but I have never seen suspicions of ulterior motives be substantiated.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Finally, I've been able to get in touch with the right department at Amazon, not sure why they gave me a bad e-mail address.

I wasn't able to find anyone else who'd had a similar experience, so I'm chalking it up to bad luck.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Finally, I've been able to get in touch with the right department at Amazon, not sure why they gave me a bad e-mail address.

I wasn't able to find anyone else who'd had a similar experience, so I'm chalking it up to bad luck.

So sorry that happened to you. Hope you can get it all worked out soon.

archangel

Registered
Reaction score
This is just an aside, but for hose of you have have books on Amazon and these other venues, how have you fared? Has it been financially rewarding?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
archangel, read our members' self publishing diaries (there's an index thread in the stickies in the self publishing room). They're a really useful resource.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I've had a few authors contact me with similar experiences. However, they're afraid to speak publicly. Anyone out there willing to come forward?

As for my book, it's been take down 4 times now. I still don't know exactly why. I guess what Amazon wants, but it seems I'm a bad guesser.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have seen other authors make similar claims on the kdp forums and the details always showed it was their mistake, or a known glitch that they leaps to assuming was personal.

I assume by now you have an answer from them about what your issue was?

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I have seen other authors make similar claims on the kdp forums and the details always showed it was their mistake, or a known glitch that they leaps to assuming was personal.

I assume by now you have an answer from them about what your issue I assume it's my mistake as was?

I assume it's my mistake as well. However, I can't actually get them to tell me what the problem is. I've made changes to my book's title, description, and cover. They put it back up for a few days, then take it down again.

Today, the print version was online for about 12 hours before being removed again.

I can't get a hold of anyone at Amazon who is willing to help--I keep getting not my department. And the one e-mail address I do have sometimes bounces back as undeliverable or they don't reply!

I'm just frustrated--if they'd tell me the issue, I'd fix it in a heartbeat!

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
What do they say in the email when they notify you they've removed it.

Is it just going back to draft status, or are they blocking it and you're republishing?

Is the book anywhere else? Can you point to it? No one can comment intelligently without seeing the book in question, or at least knowing much more about it than you've said. What's the title, category, type of book, etc. If it's up somewhere else, just tell us the book.

I've seen books removed for questionable content, and the emails state as much. The reason is usually pretty clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.