Trying to self-publish but I'm lazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Guess I'm asking for a reality check or just to see what anyone has to add here. I knew a book of flash fiction by an unknown would not be much in demand. But I've sent it to a couple dozen decent small presses in the past year anyway, and gotten a couple of nibbles but no takers. I figure a year is long enough, time for Plan B.

So, I looked into a few micro presses, figuring they at least know more about it than I do. But I saw too many prices like $10 for a 100 page e-book and so on. Sure, I'd rather have a publisher's name on it than self-published, but not when they're charging so much that they're cutting off whatever audience I may have.

Next stop, Createspace. I think I have the cover done and I like it, from what's shown on the computer screen at least.

But formatting the manuscript is driving me nuts. And I don't really feel like learning all about it. I messaged Createspace to see how much it would cost to have them do it for me. Waiting on a reply. It's about 50,000 words.

The 100 flash stories have been critiqued by others and mostly all published in various litmags, e-zines, and anthologies. Plenty of other eyes on it besides just my own. So I guess I don't need to pay an editor as well?

All of the above is of course keeping in mind that this is more for the love than the money. Which means I also don't want to spend much. I mean, it was hard enough just to find decent affordable cover art. The one I bought was $37, but we'll see if it's enough DPI or PPI or whatever they're even talking about. The higher DPI one is $260, so I'm trying to see if this one will work. I'll post it for thoughts in a sec.

So, my question is, in my shoes, what would you recommend from here? Wait to hear from Createspace about how much they'll charge to format it? What do you think is a reasonable amount? I want it in both e-book and paperback.

Also, do you think I should give the e-book away for free at first? If so, for how long? I don't have a backlist, just thought if the cost is the issue then I'd rather have people read it than not read it.

Appreciate whatever anyone has to say on any of it. Thanks.

Edit: My in-progress cover is on my Twitter account, if anyone doesn't mind giving me their thoughts on it.

Last edited:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Looked at your book cover. Which one is the title? You should have your name on the front too.

There is a lot of great info here on AW in Publishing FAQs & Resources. I didn't know how to format either so I taught myself how to do it using the AW info from above and reading different formatting guides, so I can't help you with the cost of it.

Your title says you want to self-publish but your lazy. It is a it of work to go it alone, I'll say that. It's not easy getting noticed.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I am not crazy about how the title and my name run down the side of the front rather than being at the top or bottom. They are on the front at least, though, not the spine. There will be a spine which also has the title and my name but it's not showing up on the preview for some reason.

I used the template that I liked best on Createspace, but it limits my options on where I can put things. I was thinking it will be okay since sales on Amazon and Createspace go more by the descriptions than the book covers. Or so it seems to me. (?)

I hope to get someone to format it for me, then just put it up on Createspace and Kindle and move on to the next thing. I don't plan to do any promoting, aside from just putting a link to it on on my author site any further flash stories I get published.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I think you need to ask yourself what is your goal? Success can mean different things to different people. Then decide what you are willing to do to reach your goal.

I'll tell you though, self-publishing is a LOT of work. I wouldn't recommend it unless you love doing all that stuff (fortunately, I do!).

I liked your cover. And yes, if your stories have been published then I don't think you need to worry about editing.

Based on your post, I think you would be better off to pay someone to format your book. But beware that that is money you might never get back. That's not the end of the world, some people spend a lot more on hobbies. But that is why I said you need to decide what success is for you, and how much that is worth in terms of money, time and effort.

Best of luck!

Elly_Green

Daydreamer or Living Nightmare
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eratosmusings-erotica.blogspot.com
Might want to look into using Fiverr services to save money. May take a few trials, but I've had great luck with editors, formattors, and cover artists. For specific recommendations, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Honestly, formatting is the easy part. The real work is marketing and promotion.

Also, don't give your book away for free if you don't have a backlist. Based on what I've seen with collections of flash fiction, don't expect to sell a lot of print copies. Most of your sales will come from e-books.

Good luck!

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
My mom wanted to publish her 200k book on CreateSpace. I learned how to format and formatted it for her in a day. I am very computer savvy, but I'm no techie. Yes, there were a few times I wanted to pull my hair out, but it isn't that hard. I doubt your shorter manuscript would take as long as my mom's, and I doubt you would have the formatting issues I had due to oddities found in my Mom's original ms.

If you are considering self-pubbing this work, chances are you will want to self pub again. My advice is to take a day and do it yourself rather than shelling out money for it. Since you do not intend to self promote your book, you are unlikely to make enough to make back the cost of the formatting.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I spend too many hours trying to format it, then got sick of it! I've got someone doing it for me so hopefully that hurdle will be out of the way. Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. Much appreciated.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, also, to correct my original post, I ended up paying $350 for a higher resolution version of the stock picture I had picked out for my cover art. Apparently low res just doesn't cut it. :(

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I contacted Steve at Bookow and he formatted it for me. If anyone else wants to use a formatting service, I liked the price and the pace, and he's nice to work with too.

Now it's at Createspace for review. So far, so good. :)

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I formatted mine using Word, and I imported it to Word from Scrivener. Yes, Scrivener can supposedly format it for CS, but it turned out to be a major PITA, so I moved it over to Word, and followed some instructions I found online. It was easy a pie after that.
I used Fiverr for my cover, and paid less than fifty dollars for it, and am quite happy with the quality.
You can do it yourself for very little, or you can spend a small fortune. I am curious as to whether or not I'll make back what little I spent, but that wasn't my purpose for writing the book. I wrote it because I wanted to tell the story.
It came in at just under 60k, but formatting and getting it in was relatively easy, and I am NOT computer literate.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An update: It's up on Amazon as an e-book and also I got the paperback proof, so lots of fun here today.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LZVEO5A/?tag=absowrit-20

The first twelve hours or so I took Amazon's price recommendation of $2.99 and sold two copies. One was to my friend and the other was when my husband hit "buy" on accident.

The next 24 hours it was free and I "sold" 180 e-books.

It started at #16,xxx on free ebooks (or that's where it was when I noticed the rating anyway) and ended #1,918 in the free ebooks, and #22 in free books of short stories by one author.

I was very pleasantly surprised. However, from what I hear plenty of people download the freebies and never even read them. So we shall see!

No ratings or reviews yet.

Last edited:

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Awesome news! Holding a paperback copy of your book for the first time is a great feeling isn't it?!

Have you considered a giveaway on librarything to help get more exposure and possibly reviews? With a paperback copy you could also do a giveaway on Goodreads. Just a thought.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh right, thanks, I forgot to mention that I'm also doing a Goodreads giveaway. It started about a day ago as well. I'm going to give away 10 copies after a month (I went with their suggestions on those things). So far, 151 people have put in for it. I'm very pleased with that too because I didn't expect there to be much interest in a book of flash by one author. But then, there too, I'm sure a lot of people just sign up for the freebies and maybe won't even read them, I dunno. Fingers crossed! :)

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's day 3 or 4 for Coffee House Lies. (different things began on different days). Free ebooks hit almost 200 the first day, and reached #1,200 on Amazon free ebooks, as well as #10 in free short story collections by a single author. From there, it's dropped off to 30-50 per day. No ratings or reviews yet.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just hit 300 free e-books "sold" on Amazon, at 3 1/2 days. I have no idea how that rates. But considering flash fiction collections are not a popular category, I'm very pleased. :)

Maybe some of them will leave me a rating or review.

Last edited:

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
Oh right, thanks, I forgot to mention that I'm also doing a Goodreads giveaway.

I'm going to give away 10 copies after a month (I went with their suggestions on those things).

I've never done a goodreads giveaway but I've seen several authors who are pretty savvy say that you get no more value from GR by giving away more than 1 book over just 1. If you want to give away multiples, wait for one giveaway to end, then start another.

A little late for you unfortunately, but maybe useful down the road or for someone else.

Also, be wary of scammers. Many reports of people contacting authors during/after a giveaway with a sob story about how they really wanted to read the book but can't afford a copy because of [HORROR STORY X]. Authors are contacted en masse and the books just end up on ebay or Amazon affiliate sites for sale.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Oh, also, to correct my original post, I ended up paying $350 for a higher resolution version of the stock picture I had picked out for my cover art. Apparently low res just doesn't cut it. :(

I feel your pain. 300ppi at the least or it will come out looking like crap. What irks me the most is the CMYK junk we're forced to adhere to for physical printing. All my beautiful blues were washed away, and it took another 11 hours of recovery and touch-ups. And it's still unsatisfying.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@J. Tanner- Yes, I think you are right. I'm offering ten copies and a one month giveaway. But from the other giveaways up there, it doesn't seem to me like the ones who are only offering one copy get any less people signing up for their drawings. Also, the numbers of people signing up have lessened hugely after the first day or two when my book is no longer in a prominent position but lost in the middle. Next time I think I will offer one book rather than ten and a week long drawing rather than month long. And do it several times.

@Revan- That sucks that your colors didn't come out as you were shown online. I was worried about that but I got the proof copy of my paperback the other day and the colors are just as bright and vibrant as online. I wonder what the factors are there, why some are the same in "real life" and others aren't.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, my free five Kindle days are done. Here are the results:

Day 1- No promotion, price $2.99. 2 sales, both to people I know, haha.

Day 2-6- Five day free ebook promotion.

Wednesday- 187 ebooks "sold"
Thursday- 49
Friday- 41
Saturday- 74 (picking up because it's the weekend?)
Sunday- 77

Total freebies "sold"- 428

Also, one "sale" on Kindle Unlimited (whatever that is)

Next, the price goes back up to $2.99. And... why do I have the idea my "sales" will drop back to nothing again?

Also, one review so far on Amazon. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.