Seasonal Reading - Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
A few months ago I was introduced to the notion of reading books appropriate to the season and I've really enjoyed applying it to winter. Great time to curl up with horror and tea, amirite?

So far I've read Frankenstein, NOS4A2, and Snowblind. Hoping I can garner some wonderful suggestions from youse fine connoisseurs of the creepy. Thanks!

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
The Shining.

It may not be a 'winter' read per-se but Misery by Stephen King springs to mind.

Also, H.P Lovecraft's - At The Mountains Of Madness is set in the arctic.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
A Winter Haunting and Ghost Story spring to mind, by Dan Simmons and Peter Straub respectively. And I loved NOS4A2 by the way. One of my favorites. Stephen King's "One For the Road" is a short in the Night Shift collection, and also one of my favorites.

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
These are both shorts found in King's Nightshift: One For the Road (a sequel to Salems Lot), and Gray Matter.

Coincidentally, while researching whether both stories were in the same book, I discovered they've been made into short films you can view for free. I watched; they were both pretty bad, lol.

Also, with McCammon's, They Thirst (which you won't find as an ebook), the first dozen pages are set in a snow storm, but then it moves to LA.

Last edited:

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
Did some asking around... was also recommended Dreamcatcher by Stephen King. The Terror by Dan Simmons. Snowblind by Michael McBride. Snow by Ronald Malfi (sp?). There's probably a few wendigo books kicking around somewhere, if I can get my hands on them.

Hope it snows a lot this weekend. ^_^

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dark Matter by Michelle Paver is appropriately wintry, and is excellent.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to read books that reverse summer and winter. In the heat, I enjoy reading a story set in winter, and in the freezing cold, I like reading books set in summer.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to read books that reverse summer and winter. In the heat, I enjoy reading a story set in winter, and in the freezing cold, I like reading books set in summer.

I know what you mean. In the dreary months I want something that reminds me of the carribean, but the dreary months in my neck of the woods run from May to March, its usually nice in April, except for the rain.

In winter though, I like that its dark outside, usually windy, with a draught whistling through a plastic vent in the window, scrads of rain lashing against the window while I'm settling to bed, these seasonal things fire my imagination and if I'm not writing about some nameless terror looking for shelter just the otherside of my door, I like to read it.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Just started NOS4A2 myself, and it's not quite what I expected, but it's excellent!

So seconding that, and The Shining--incidentally, the sequel, Doctor Sleep, works quite well for summer.

Also, depending on how you feel about teen horror, Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is, IMO, the best thing to happen to vampire fiction in a long damn time.

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
Also, depending on how you feel about teen horror, Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is, IMO, the best thing to happen to vampire fiction in a long damn time.

OOOOO, I actually have that somewhere on a shelf in my apartment! Great idea, thanks!

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^Honestly, I've had that experience every time I read Joe Hill (so far). I read the plot summary and I think, "Huh, that sounds pretty cool," and then I actually read the thing and go, "WOW THIS IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT BUT STILL AWESOME."

Status
Not open for further replies.